Mr. Big Dog

How Will You Celebrate “Congress Day?”

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I'll celebrate the way Americans should celebrate Congress Day: Be as unproductive as I possibly can be.

How Will You Celebrate “Congress Day?”

Prepare to mark your calendars, folks. There’s a new Federal holiday coming our way, starting in June of 2016: “Congress Day,” a day for celebrating, honoring, and remembering members of the House and Senate who have served in the United States Congress over the years, decades, and centuries. And if your employer gives you President’s Day off in February, then you’re probably getting another day off in June, starting next year.

The new Federal holiday will be celebrated on the first Monday of June each year, starting with June 6th of 2016. It’s supposed to mark the date of June 1st, 1789, when the 1st Congress of the United States passed its first bill ever, titled “An Act to Regulate the Time and Manner of Administering Certain Oaths.”

How are we supposed to celebrate Congress Day, you ask? The bill itself proposes “Americans should write letters of encouragement to their Congressmen,” and “seek out ways of contributing to the American experience.”

But one White House official, who asked to not be named in this article, says the American people should celebrate Congress for their acts. “I think the best way to celebrate Congress Day would be for Americans to literally do nothing all day,” he says. “Wake up, eat something microwaveable, and then argue all day with loved ones over mundane and trivial nonsense. Really, just spend the whole day going out of your way to avoid doing anything lasting or of genuine merit.”

The Congress Day bill quickly gained bipartisan support earlier this year, passing through the House last month with only three “nay” votes. The Senate approved the bill unanimously on Thursday, marking the first time a bill has earned unanimous approval since last year, when they voted to raise their own pay. President Obama will likely sign the bill into law sometime next week.

“I’m grateful that House and Senate Republicans and Democrats could all come together for such an important cause as this,” said a teary-eyed House Speaker John Boehner, who wept silently after the bill’s passage was announced. “I feel members of Congress have finally earned the recognition we deserve. We finally have a day where the American people will stop to appreciate all of the important work we do on their behalf.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I plan to do nothing, and when called out on it, I'm going to blame my co-worker for being the source of my inaction.

That's the spirit. Happy Congress Day!

My first thought was to take a nap but I think that others would be able to get something done because I am not obstructing progress and I cannot abide that.

The content available on a site dedicated to bringing folks to America should not be promoting racial discord, euro-supremacy, discrimination based on religion , exclusion of groups from immigration based on where they were born, disenfranchisement of voters rights based on how they might vote.

horsey-change.jpg?w=336&h=265

My first thought was to take a nap but I think that others would be able to get something done because I am not obstructing progress and I cannot abide that.

That's right. The more I think about, simply being unproductive myself is not properly honoring the day. I have to make sure that nobody else can be productive either.

Happy Congress Day!

Since it's a Republican Congress, I'm buying a gun to celebrate the Second Amendment. Then every time someone asks me something, I'll say no. When nothing gets done, I'll blame it on someone else.

So what do you do when it's a Democratic Congress? Marry a dude?

I'll be accepting kick backs all day

Do you take Visa? Because I'd like to pre-pay a number of flagrant TOS violations.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Should be 24th August.

gallows_humour.jpg

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Would like to see a Federal Holiday in tribute to Ronald Reagan

He was a game changer in USA history and World History as well.......

Edited by VOL

Would like to see a Federal Holiday in tribute to Ronald Reagan

He was a game changer in USA history and World History as well.......

Yes, Reagan taught us and proved - as Duck (with an i) Cheney has reminded us time and again since - that deficits don't matter. A true game changer indeed!

Edited by Mr. Big Dog