Blazers

Information About your residence

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hello,

I'm ready to apply for my citizenship in the information for residence part, I have lived in many places due to roommate and such, but I have always kept my address to my family house for all Mail, jobs and such. Do I have to state every single address or is it ok to just write down the one I had mail sent too?

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hello,

I'm ready to apply for my citizenship in the information for residence part, I have lived in many places due to roommate and such, but I have always kept my address to my family house for all Mail, jobs and such. Do I have to state every single address or is it ok to just write down the one I had mail sent too?

Thanks

The question says: "Where have you lived during the last 5 years?" so you should list where you actually lived.

You should have filed an AR11 form every time you moved, but if you haven't, you can explain to the interviewer that you always used your family house as your main address.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Ouch, I wasn't even aware of the AR11 form till now. Is there any chance I can do it now or is it too late?

I have a similar situation. Yes, you would need to provide all the residences. Just add a separate piece of paper.

Thanks, did you ever had to fill up the AR11 form each time? I wasn't even aware of that form till now

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Honestly, I forgot to submit the AR11...Simply forgot..which is very embarrassing.

I think I only let USCIS know about the address change when I moved after my divorce. Since then - never did it again.

Question to experts, will there be an issue during the interview if I didn't notify about all my address changes in the past? I did provide everything on my N400 though...

Edited by olna83

Timeline

Me too, I have never done or heard of the form till today, olna83, I would like to ask the same because I don't recall if even it was a requirement.

I'll ask my attorney and I'll let you know,

I ended up a friend who is an calling my immigration lawyer and he said to go ahead and fill up the form for AR11 for now and the interviewer may ask me questions about them

I ended up a friend who is an calling my immigration lawyer and he said to go ahead and fill up the form for AR11 for now and the interviewer may ask me questions about them

Timeline

Just heard back from my attorney... Her response:

"It doesn't matter at this point unless you moved after filing for citizenship".

Timeline

Me too, I have never done or heard of the form till today, olna83, I would like to ask the same because I don't recall if even it was a requirement.

Here's the packet you received with your green card:

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/nativedocuments/M-618.pdf

Pages 8 and 9 list your responsibilities as a permanent resident. This includes registering for selective service and filling out the AR11 form... two requirements that many people seem to miss or some reason.

Actually, anyone in the US who is a non- citizen is required to fill out an ar11 within 10 days of moving.

I really don't know if it matters if you fill one out now. Personally, I would, but I doubt that it will be a problem if you don't.

Edited by JimmyHou

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Thanks for pointing that out Jimmy. I am about to point the same thing. Almost every letter you get from USCIS states to update your address as soon as you move. I am surprised how you guys missed reading that part all this time.

Here's the packet you received with your green card:

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/nativedocuments/M-618.pdf

Pages 8 and 9 list your responsibilities as a permanent resident. This includes registering for selective service and filling out the AR11 form... two requirements that many people seem to miss or some reason.
Actually, anyone in the US who is a non- citizen is required to fill out an ar11 within 10 days of moving.

I really don't know if it matters if you fill one out now. Personally, I would, but I doubt that it will be a problem if you don't.

Timeline

Thanks for pointing that out Jimmy. I am about to point the same thing. Almost every letter you get from USCIS states to update your address as soon as you move. I am surprised how you guys missed reading that part all this time.

Maverick and Jimmy,

Thank you. But I do know that notifying USCIS about the address change is mandatory and I do know it states in the GC package. But what happened with the package? I got it, I filed it away and simply forgot..not on purpose. With the busy life - 3 jobs, interstate commute, divorce, moving 4 times during the last two years etc.. Unfortunately, changing address with USCIS would be the last thing on my mind. Again - no offense to USCIS...I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Timeline

Maverick and Jimmy,

Thank you. But I do know that notifying USCIS about the address change is mandatory and I do know it states in the GC package. But what happened with the package? I got it, I filed it away and simply forgot..not on purpose. With the busy life - 3 jobs, interstate commute, divorce, moving 4 times during the last two years etc.. Unfortunately, changing address with USCIS would be the last thing on my mind. Again - no offense to USCIS...I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Blazers mentioned that he/she had never heard of the AR11 form.

I was showing him were the requirement was.

Yes, I'm sure many people forget this and many other requirements.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I've never used AR11 form, to be honest I didn't know I had to notify USCIS every time I move (that's my own fault), got my GC 10 years ago and moved quite of bit, I just had my citizenship interview last Tuesday and that was not brought up, the IO did asked how long I've been living at the apt I'm right now, told him a year and I've been within the same apartment complex for 5 years now. I think as long as you have been living longer than 3 months at your current address you should be fine, I could be wrong, but at least in my case not filing an AR11 form was not an issue.

Timeline

I've never used AR11 form, to be honest I didn't know I had to notify USCIS every time I move (that's my own fault), got my GC 10 years ago and moved quite of bit, I just had my citizenship interview last Tuesday and that was not brought up, the IO did asked how long I've been living at the apt I'm right now, told him a year and I've been within the same apartment complex for 5 years now. I think as long as you have been living longer than 3 months at your current address you should be fine, I could be wrong, but at least in my case not filing an AR11 form was not an issue.

thank you!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.