goobz

N-400 part 7 employement help

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi - I am a freelance Illustrator who receives both W2 and 1099's, I work both on site at different advertising agencies and from home but I don't write off my study at home as expenses because I write off my mortgage interest instead. I just need some advise on how to complete this part of the n-400. Should I fill in various ad agencies I freelance for or should I put in my home address ?

Thanks in advance!

I'm on the same boat as you: 1099/W2 mixed income. I'm not incorporated or a PC, so I indicated the addresses of agencies. That worked fine for my N400.

100% Naturalized U.S.D.A. Prime American

proud_filipino_american_trucker_hat.jpg?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi - I am a freelance Illustrator who receives both W2 and 1099's, I work both on site at different advertising agencies and from home but I don't write off my study at home as expenses because I write off my mortgage interest instead. I just need some advise on how to complete this part of the n-400. Should I fill in various ad agencies I freelance for or should I put in my home address ?

Thanks in advance!

If I've got this right, if you got a W2 then the IRS considers you an employee and if you received a 1099 then the IRS considers you an independent contractor. So I would just use that IRS definition for lack of a better one. Any time you received a W2, I would list that employer on the N400. Any time you received a 1099, I would probably list the employer and add "(contractor)" afterwords or I would list your home address and state you were an independent contractor. If you want to be more thorough, attach a piece of paper with all the places you've worked and whether you were an employee (W2) or a contractor (1099).

That's just my interpretation... as long as you give them all the information, they're not going to be too picky about how you present it. But if you just put down your home address without an explanation, it may be unclear.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

What address do you put down on the n-400 application if you were receiving unemployment. Do you put down the unemployment address where you was receiving benefits or do I put down my own address. Thanks for any replys.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

You don't have to list an adress for this. I did not list anything for my unemployment. Just show the dates and say unemployed.

What address do you put down on the n-400 application if you were receiving unemployment. Do you put down the unemployment address where you was receiving benefits or do I put down my own address. Thanks for any replys.

• 4 years later...

Hi Guys,

I am in same boat, I just got both 1099 and w2 for past 5 years and I work for Uber as well, so I just wondering 

what we suppose to put for Uber? if Self-employed so what about for other 1099's? I attend to fill my N-400 online, so

I can not put any special character like  "(contractor)" in title, so what suppose to do?

Thanks

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.