couldbeanyone

adjustment of status income requirements

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi, so I am part way through adjusting my status from tourist to legal resident by marriage to a US citizen. All is going well and I just did my biometrics but now I have a problem. My wife is working part time while studying, she will soon have to stop working to concentrate on studies. My question is can the income requirement be met by me alone? I.e. can I find a job making at least 125% of the poverty level when I get my authorization and go to the interview while my wife is not working? Or will we get denied if the sponsor doesn't have income?

Filed: Timeline

Did you meet the poverty requirement on the documents you send out? Cause if you didn't you'll get an RFE and like above poster said you probably not even make it to the interview.

Also if you do make it - it will be hard to proof that your income will continue for 3 years if you just started your job (since you still need a work permit and than find a job). I would not risk it, if I were you and get a joint sponsor.

03/18/15: Send application

03/22/15: Application received

03/25/15: NOA 1 emails/texts

04/13/15: biomnetrics appointment letter

04/16/15: successful biometrics appointment

06/10/15: Received email - EAD picked up by post office!

06/11/15: Received EAD

06/18/15: Received interview notice in the mail for July 20th 2015 (was send on 06/12/15)

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thanks for the replies, I guess I wasn't clear. I am the one applying, my wife is a citizen. We met the income requirements when applying but my wife needs to quit so I would become the one making the income by the time of the interview. I know that is far from ideal I'm just wondering if it's possible or if that situation will be automatically denied.

Edited by couldbeanyone

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

That's not what a lawyer or USCIS said, it seems pretty clear that household income is what they are interested in.

You cannot self sponsor for the I-864. The whole purpose is to show that the intended immigrant will not be a public charge. Self sponsoring does not do this. I believe that work visas are a different story. Google it if you do not believe

Edited by Transborderwife

You cannot self sponsor for the I-864. The whole purpose is to show that the intended immigrant will not be a public charge. Self sponsoring does not do this. I believe that work visas are a different story. Google it if you do not believe

Yes to this. You need to pass i864 round to have EAD so you can work.

But if you have work visa, you can self sponsor after proving your job will be long enough to cover you after you get your green card.

Edited by NancyNguyen

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.