coolman673

Cancelling K1 and doing CR1

45 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

In Egypt it's not appropriate to have such ceremony as it doesn't look good to her family or her friends. When we talk about wedding, we mean traditional wedding. It's hard to pull off such ceremonies in egypt.

thanks for understanding.

Thank you for clarifying, I learned something new today.

I admire your willing to fulfill your father in law wishes, that's what marriage is all about, together for better or worse. Your gf must be very proud of you.

Good luck to you and your fiancée.

This is potentially dangerous advice to give - if it looks too much like a wedding, even if nothing official gets signed - they could reject the K1 because they consider them already married and therefore no longer eligible for a fiance visa and that would have some not-so-pleasant repercussions if other people here on VJ are to be believed (and I have no reason to question them).

That couple was approved 5 minutes before me, no issues at all. I just personally think doing a CR-1 can be a bit worse, especially when you plan a big wedding and the consulate hears about it. It's supposed to be spontaneous, isn't it? Just trying to be helpful here and not get a fellow VJer into even more trouble.

If the OP made up their mind, it's fine, and we wish them all the best. Sometimes it just helps to see objective opinions from the outside. Allows them to hear honest opinions, not what you want to hear. ;)

Service Center : Texas Service Center          AOS begins!                                                                                            ROC Time!

Transferred? No

Consulate : Montreal, Canada (He is a German, but has been living in Canada for the last 5 years)

I-129F Sent : 2014-07-21                           Packet sent: 2015-06-22                                                                          Packet sent: 2017-11-29

I-129F NOA1 : 2014-07-29                        NOA1 for I-485 and EAD: 2015-07-02                                                 Receipt notice: 2017-12-04

I-129F NOA2 : 2015-02-03                       Biometrics Appt: 2015-07-28                                                                  Biometrics: 2017-12-28

NVC Received:No notice. Case # 2014-02-18    RFE: 2015-07-21 (RFE on I-485)                                              Approved w/o Interview: 2019-1-17

NVC Left : 2015-02-24                             RFE returned: 2015-07-29                                                                         Recieved: 2019-1-24

Consulate Received : 2015-02-26           Response received: 2015-08-03

Interview Date : 2015-04-15                   EAD Approved: 2015-09-04

Interview Result : APPROVED!! :D  EAD card Received: 2015-09-11

Visa Received : 2015-04-21                      Card Production Ordered: 2015-12-10 (No Interview! :D )

US Entry : 2015-04-23

Marriage : 2015-05-09

german_american_flags.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Going back to do the CR1 will add alot of extra time waiting. You are at the NVC stage, but still need to do the embassy interview. I am not sure how it goes in Egypt, but my husband came from a primarily Muslim country and AP can take months, even years. K-1 visas seem to have shorter AP times. Going the CR1 route, our petition was at USCIS for 11 months, NVC for 2 weeks, and then 20 months in AP.

I certainly understand wanting to have the wedding for her father, but that being said, you need to also keep in mind that immigrant visa's take much longer and go through a lot more scrutiny than non immigrant ones. It will be like starting the whole process all over again.

Edited by janetusman

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

In Egypt it's not appropriate to have such ceremony as it doesn't look good to her family or her friends. When we talk about wedding, we mean traditional wedding. It's hard to pull off such ceremonies in egypt.

thanks for understanding.

why would they put people on AP for CR1? i thought AP is done mostly for K1

AP can happen for both K1 and CR1 applications, it is impossible to predict how long AP will last if you are placed into AP

Spoiler

Married December 19, 2014

I-130 Petition sent January 14, 2015
NOA1 date January 20, 2015 (NSC)

NOA2 date May 28, 2015 :dance::dance::dance:

Mailed to NVC June 4, 2015

NVC Received June 10, 2015

NVC Case Number Assigned June 23, 2015

NVC AoS Invoice via Mail June 24, 2015

NVC Selected Agent Over Phone June 30, 2015 (Unable to logon to CEAC)

NVC IV Invoice via email received July 1, 2015

NVC AoS/IV Package Mailed July 2, 2015

NVC AoS & IV Fee Paid Online (CEAC is working) July 6. 2015

NVC Document Scan Date July 6, 2015

NCV AoS & IV Fee marked as paid in CEAC July, 7 2015

NVC DS 260 Completed July 8, 2015

NVC CC July 30, 2015 (24 days after scan date, about 2 months post NOA2)

Interview Scheduled on August 26, 2015

Interview P4 Email Received August 27, 2015

Medical in Islamabad September 2, 2015

Interview Date September 22, 2015 CANCELLED (Embassy is Over scheduled) :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Interview Scheduled on September 10, 2015

Interview Date October 14, 2015 APPROVED

Visa Issued October 16, 2015, 9 months start to finish

POE JFK October 26, 2015

GC in Hand Jan 8, 2016

RoC I-751 NOA1 August 31, 2017 (Vermont Service Center)

Biometrics October 2, 2017

I551 Stamp in Passport August 2, 2018

18 Month Extension Letter August 3, 2018

Applied for Naturalization N-400 Online July 30, 2018

Biometrics August 23, 2018

10 year GC is in production September 17, 2018

Timeline

AP can happen for both K1 and CR1 applications, it is impossible to predict how long AP will last if you are placed into AP

Kastrs is correct...AP happens for both types. And from what I have observed in our home embassy is that CR1 has a longer AP than K1 in alot of cases. K1 is under non-immigrant categoy where CR1 is immigrant processing.

Logically you would think that AP would be longer and more prevalent in K1 processing rather that CR1 but its the opposite.

There is no way to predict if you will get it, how long it will be or what they are doing in the process.

Edited by janetusman

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

WOW...i am so frustrated as to which route to take now that i read all these comment about CR1. I'm looking in to the suggested approach of having a ceremony and not making anything official, even though i think it's very hard in Egypt to do that. However, if during the interview they insisted that I am she is already married and she is denied, what are the repercussion on filing a CR1 Visa?

Timeline

I wouldn't do any kind of ceremony that would in any way resemble a wedding/marriage. I think it would cause you an issue during the interview.

Timeline

Also, if they decide to do a field investigation and you had a ceremony people will probably say you had some type of wedding.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

WOW...i am so frustrated as to which route to take now that i read all these comment about CR1. I'm looking in to the suggested approach of having a ceremony and not making anything official, even though i think it's very hard in Egypt to do that. However, if during the interview they insisted that I am she is already married and she is denied, what are the repercussion on filing a CR1 Visa?

Really frustrating isnt it! The main thing is, if her father is so sick, then the CR1 she will have extra time to stay living there with him, and upon approval would get a green card and thus be able to travel back to her home for a visit anytime. With the K1 if she is approved, comes to the US, and then quickly needs to return home, she would not able to able to do so. It takes a few months after filing for adjustment of status to receive the EAD/AP.

Spoiler

Married December 19, 2014

I-130 Petition sent January 14, 2015
NOA1 date January 20, 2015 (NSC)

NOA2 date May 28, 2015 :dance::dance::dance:

Mailed to NVC June 4, 2015

NVC Received June 10, 2015

NVC Case Number Assigned June 23, 2015

NVC AoS Invoice via Mail June 24, 2015

NVC Selected Agent Over Phone June 30, 2015 (Unable to logon to CEAC)

NVC IV Invoice via email received July 1, 2015

NVC AoS/IV Package Mailed July 2, 2015

NVC AoS & IV Fee Paid Online (CEAC is working) July 6. 2015

NVC Document Scan Date July 6, 2015

NCV AoS & IV Fee marked as paid in CEAC July, 7 2015

NVC DS 260 Completed July 8, 2015

NVC CC July 30, 2015 (24 days after scan date, about 2 months post NOA2)

Interview Scheduled on August 26, 2015

Interview P4 Email Received August 27, 2015

Medical in Islamabad September 2, 2015

Interview Date September 22, 2015 CANCELLED (Embassy is Over scheduled) :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Interview Scheduled on September 10, 2015

Interview Date October 14, 2015 APPROVED

Visa Issued October 16, 2015, 9 months start to finish

POE JFK October 26, 2015

GC in Hand Jan 8, 2016

RoC I-751 NOA1 August 31, 2017 (Vermont Service Center)

Biometrics October 2, 2017

I551 Stamp in Passport August 2, 2018

18 Month Extension Letter August 3, 2018

Applied for Naturalization N-400 Online July 30, 2018

Biometrics August 23, 2018

10 year GC is in production September 17, 2018

Timeline

Coolman, did they give an estimate as to how long her father has? The reason I ask is because I have a spreadsheet that has been tracking all of the K1 and IR/CR1 visas that will go through Cairo so I can try to give you an estimate as to how long it will take you to get an interview based on your I-129F petition.

One thing to weigh in on heavily before you withdraw the fiance petition is that you would be looking at around a 15 month wait to get a CR1 visa if you chose to change now.

USCIS

10/11/2014 – Mailed I-130 packet to the Chicago Lockbox
10/14/2014 – I-130 packet signed for
10/15/2014 – Priority date assigned
10/19/2014 – Acceptance confirmation email received
10/20/2014 – Check cashed
10/24/2014 – Received I-797C (NOA1)
10/27/2014 – Faxed the USCIS expedite packet to the Senator's office
10/29/2014 – Expedite request sent to USCIS from the Senator's office on my behalf
11/05/2014 – USCIS approved I-130 petition
11/07/2014 – USCIS sent case to the NVC for processing
11/08/2014 – Received I-797, Approval!!! (NOA2)

NVC

11/11/2014 - Emailed the NVC Expedite Packet to the Senator's office
11/12/2014 - Expedite request sent to NVC from the Senator's office on my behalf
11/12/2014 - NVC received case from USCIS
11/28/2014 - Received confirmation email from NVC, expedite request was received and is being processed
12/09/2014 - NVC Case number assigned
12/10/2014 - NVC Welcome letter email
12/10/2014 - Submitted form DS-261
12/11/2014 - AOS fee invoiced
12/12/2014 - AOS fee submitted
12/15/2014 - AOS fee shows paid
12/16/2014 - Sent AOS and IV packets
12/17/2014 - AOS and IV packets received by NVC
12/17/2014 - Embassy denied expedite without a reason, informed over the phone by Hazel from NVC

12/19/2014 - Received email from NVC confirming AOS and IV packets received, scan date 12/17
12/19/2014 - IV fee invoiced

12/19/2014 - IV fee submitted
12/23/2014 - IV fee shows paid

12/26/2014 - Submitted DS-260
02/17/2015 - Case complete!!! :)
05/04/2015 - Interview date received by phone, scheduled for 06/10/2015

05/08/2015 - Received P4 email

US Embassy Cairo

05/12/2015 - Embassy received case from NVC

06/10/2015 - Interview approved!!! :)

07/20/2015 - Visa received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Can you not just go and BE with her and her father? Let him see you together and spend time with him and the rest of her family. I don't understand how family could want you to make that sacrifice of keeping yourselves apart any longer by starting over. Especially so close to actually having the visa and being able to be together for good.

Really frustrating isnt it! The main thing is, if her father is so sick, then the CR1 she will have extra time to stay living there with him, and upon approval would get a green card and thus be able to travel back to her home for a visit anytime. With the K1 if she is approved, comes to the US, and then quickly needs to return home, she would not able to able to do so. It takes a few months after filing for adjustment of status to receive the EAD/AP.

This is a good point though.

Go check out the current timeline for a CR-1 and carefully decide.

Edited by stef_curls

NOA1: November 18, 2014 @ TSC

NOA2: June 24, 2015 218 days

Sent to NVC: July 1, 2015

Embassy Case Number Received: July 10, 2015

Sent to embassy: July 16, 2015

Embassy Received: July 20, 2015

Packet 3 Received/DS 160/Readiness Completed: July 22, 2015

Medical: July 24, 2015

Packet 4 Received: August 11, 2015

Interview: September 4, 2015 Approved

Issued: September 8, 2015

Visa in hand:

POE: September 18, 2015

-----------------------

When filling in your timeline, please understand that all I-129F's are sent to the LOCKBOX in Texas, and then ROUTED (not transferred) to your ASSIGNED service center- the one in Texas "TSC" (not the same as the lockbox!), or the one in California "CSC". If your tracking number starts with WAC, you're at the CSC, you were not transferred! There are no transfers at this time. If your number starts with SRC you're at the TSC and that's where you will serve your entire sentence.USCIS isn't fair.

They don't care about you.

-----------------------------------------------------

Want to complain to someone anyway?

*Email the Ombudsman at cisombudsman@HQ.DHS.GOV

"The Ombudsman provides an impartial and independent perspective to USCIS in an attempt to resolve problems"

Timeline

Coolman, did they give an estimate as to how long her father has? The reason I ask is because I have a spreadsheet that has been tracking all of the K1 and IR/CR1 visas that will go through Cairo so I can try to give you an estimate as to how long it will take you to get an interview based on your I-129F petition.

One thing to weigh in on heavily before you withdraw the fiance petition is that you would be looking at around a 15 month wait to get a CR1 visa if you chose to change now.

Not really, but a good couple of month they said. I will PM you and chat with you privately. Would really appreicate any informatin.

Can you not just go and BE with her and her father? Let him see you together and spend time with him and the rest of her family. I don't understand how family could want you to make that sacrifice of keeping yourselves apart any longer by starting over. Especially so close to actually having the visa and being able to be together for good.

This is a good point though.

Go check out the current timeline for a CR-1 and carefully decide.

It's not so easy to do that when i have a Job and a House that i pay for. I wish that was the case.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Several bickering posts removed. Answer the OPs question (or don't) as best you can. There is no reason to make negative comments towards/about other posters. Continued bickering will equal a thread ban

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Are you Muslim? Or Christian? I am clueless about Egyptian marriage laws, but I know in Indonesia for Muslims it is not possible to have a ceremony and not be official but for all other religions, one has to go to a certain government ministry to become legally married. The ceremony itself cannot be a legal marriage.

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Timeline

Are you Muslim? Or Christian? I am clueless about Egyptian marriage laws, but I know in Indonesia for Muslims it is not possible to have a ceremony and not be official but for all other religions, one has to go to a certain government ministry to become legally married. The ceremony itself cannot be a legal marriage.

I'm a Christian. I am not sure of the exact laws.

Can someone from Egypt let me know if i do the CR1 and make her apply for a B1/B2 vistor visa is she likely to be denied? Anyone tried that before and had good luck? As soon as she says she will visit her husband I assume she will be denied.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.