coolman673

Cancelling K1 and doing CR1

45 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi Everyone. Due to circumstances, my fiancee and I will get married before the completion of our K1 because her dad is at a very bad stage of his life and he has been in the hospitals for almost 2 months now. I would like to withdraw my K1 pettion and after getting married, file the CR1. I have couple of questions:

1) How to withdraw the K1 after we already got approved and our case is at the NVC

2) Can I just file the CR1 right away or do i have to wait until the K1 is withdrawn ?

3)The money that paid for K1, is that totally lost or can it be used toward the CR1?

4)Does anyone know how long it takes for CR1?

5)Are all cases sent to TSC being forwarded to CSC?

any suggestions will be appreciated.

Edited by coolman673

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Hi Everyone. Due to circumstances, my fiancee and I will get married before the completion of our K1 because her dad is at a very bad stage of his life and he has been in the hospitals for almost 2 months now. I would like to withdraw my K1 pettion and after getting married, file the CR1. I have couple of questions:

1) How to withdraw the K1 after we already got approved and our case is at the NVC

2) Can I just file the CR1 right away or do i have to wait until the K1 is withdrawn ?

3)The money that paid for K1, is that totally lost or can it be used toward the CR1?

Are you sure this is what you want to do? I understand that you feel you need to get married before he passes away (I guess that's what is about) about is it really worth it? She will have to stay in Egypt until approval which can take A LEAST 6 months. You're at NVC which is almost at the finish, you really sure this is the way to go?

And yes, that money is gone.

Timeline

Are you sure this is what you want to do? I understand that you feel you need to get married before he passes away (I guess that's what is about) about is it really worth it? She will have to stay in Egypt until approval which can take A LEAST 6 months. You're at NVC which is almost at the finish, you really sure this is the way to go?

And yes, that money is gone.

If it were up to me, i would complete the K1 visa since i waited 8 month until approved. However, I have to respect her and her father's wishes. I'm sure she would have done the same if she was in my place.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

If it were up to me, i would complete the K1 visa since i waited 8 month until approved. However, I have to respect her and her father's wishes. I'm sure she would have done the same if she was in my place.

I totally respect that and if she is fully aware of the fact that it will add a lot more time than sure, go ahead and do it for her and her father. But make sure you're both aware of the consequence. Either go ahead and do it or find some kind of compromise if you really don't want to extend the waiting. If not, I hope someone can help you with all your questions and good luck on your journey :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

You can file the CR-1 as soon as you get married. I don't how to cancel the K-1. The money will be lost from the K-1. IR-1/CR-1 average over a year now, you can check the Processing Times above. Only K-1s are being transferred from TSC to CSC so your petition will most likely go back to TSC (which is not the worst service center for CR-1s)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

The OP has made up their mind already. Trying to convince them to do other arrangements is pointless is my honest opinion. This is their choice and we should respect it. There is nothing that say you cannot get married and move from a K-1 to a IR-1/CR-1. I'm sure it's not the first time this has happened. Life is lived in moments and experiences, not timelines.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hi Coolman.

I am sorry for your fiancee, I can't imagine how is she feeling.

I understand her father's wishes, but also look at the stage you are now.

My suggestion is think about a nice ceremony with her family and close friends, but without signing a marriage certificate.

A family member of my best friend was in a terminal stage of liver cancer, her boyfriend proposed and her family organized a nice last-minute commitment ceremony in her room at the hospital but without a priest or a judge; another member of the family was the officiant (he had no license to do it so),the ceremony was a simple romantic expression of love and devotion and she was extremely happy, what your gf dad wants is to be able to be part of the most important day of her life. A unity celebration would be a great idea for you guys, exchange vows, promise to her dad your commitment to her, and once she gets the visa just make it official with a certificate.

Think about it, there are great ideas online about this type of ceremony.

My prayers are with you,your gf and her family during this difficult time.

Edited by Jim&Ann

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

1) How to withdraw the K1 after we already got approved and our case is at the NVC You need to mail a letter to the NVC, also email it, stating that you wish to withdraw the petition. Additionally, I would suggest emailing the embassy with the same letter, as likely by the time the NVC reads/processes your letter it will have already gone to the Embassy.

2) Can I just file the CR1 right away or do i have to wait until the K1 is withdrawn ?Yes you can file the CR1 right away, I would just suggest including a brief explanation attached with the I130 to explain that your prior petition was withdrawn via a letter sent to the NVC on whatever date you sent it.

3)The money that paid for K1, is that totally lost or can it be used toward the CR1?NO

4)Does anyone know how long it takes for CR1?Depends on a few factors, I would say at least a year. If your wife ends up on AP could be much longer.

5)Are all cases sent to TSC being forwarded to CSC?For K1 I think so, but the majority of CR1 are processed at NSC.

Good LUCK!

Spoiler

Married December 19, 2014

I-130 Petition sent January 14, 2015
NOA1 date January 20, 2015 (NSC)

NOA2 date May 28, 2015 :dance::dance::dance:

Mailed to NVC June 4, 2015

NVC Received June 10, 2015

NVC Case Number Assigned June 23, 2015

NVC AoS Invoice via Mail June 24, 2015

NVC Selected Agent Over Phone June 30, 2015 (Unable to logon to CEAC)

NVC IV Invoice via email received July 1, 2015

NVC AoS/IV Package Mailed July 2, 2015

NVC AoS & IV Fee Paid Online (CEAC is working) July 6. 2015

NVC Document Scan Date July 6, 2015

NCV AoS & IV Fee marked as paid in CEAC July, 7 2015

NVC DS 260 Completed July 8, 2015

NVC CC July 30, 2015 (24 days after scan date, about 2 months post NOA2)

Interview Scheduled on August 26, 2015

Interview P4 Email Received August 27, 2015

Medical in Islamabad September 2, 2015

Interview Date September 22, 2015 CANCELLED (Embassy is Over scheduled) :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Interview Scheduled on September 10, 2015

Interview Date October 14, 2015 APPROVED

Visa Issued October 16, 2015, 9 months start to finish

POE JFK October 26, 2015

GC in Hand Jan 8, 2016

RoC I-751 NOA1 August 31, 2017 (Vermont Service Center)

Biometrics October 2, 2017

I551 Stamp in Passport August 2, 2018

18 Month Extension Letter August 3, 2018

Applied for Naturalization N-400 Online July 30, 2018

Biometrics August 23, 2018

10 year GC is in production September 17, 2018

Timeline

Hi Coolman.

I am sorry for your fiancee, I can't imagine how is she feeling.

I understand her father's wishes, but also look at the stage you are now.

My suggestion is think about a nice ceremony with her family and close friends, but without signing a marriage certificate.

A family member of my best friend was in a terminal stage of liver cancer, her boyfriend proposed and her family organized a nice last-minute commitment ceremony in her room at the hospital but without a priest or a judge; another member of the family was the officiant (he had no license to do it so),the ceremony was a simple romantic expression of love and devotion and she was extremely happy, what your gf dad wants is to be able to be part of the most important day of her life. A unity celebration would be a great idea for you guys, exchange vows, promise to her dad your commitment to her, and once she gets the visa just make it official with a certificate.

Think about it, there are great ideas online about this type of ceremony.

My prayers are with you,your gf and her family during this difficult time.

In Egypt it's not appropriate to have such ceremony as it doesn't look good to her family or her friends. When we talk about wedding, we mean traditional wedding. It's hard to pull off such ceremonies in egypt.

I know why you are doing this - I would do anything for my fiance. Goodluck and I wish you all the best.

thanks for understanding.

why would they put people on AP for CR1? i thought AP is done mostly for K1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.