lukehimself

Police Certificate - Standard or Full Disclosure

21 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I am really confused about the police certificate for my K-1 visa, which seems to be a common occurrence from what I've read!

I've emailed them already and it seems that they do NOT need fingerprints.

However they do ask for "Full Disclosure" but the AFP only give Standard Disclosure checks.

I emailed the consulate in Sydney:

Hi,

I have my K1 visa appointment scheduled for the xxxx. My case
number is xxxx.

I am applying for the police certificate. I noticed on the instructions it
says "Full Disclosure" is required. However the AFP will only issue a
"Standard Disclosure" when I'm trying to apply for it.

Will this be acceptable?

Otherwise how do I go about getting a full disclosure certificate?

Thank you,

To which they replied:

Thank you for your recent inquiry.

You only need to apply for 1 Australian police certificate. Australian police certificates are valid for 12 months from date of issuance.

Your certificate can be based on a name check or fingerprint check.

If it’s based on a name check, it must contain all aliases previously and presently used. Failure to provide a name check certificate with all aliases may result in the consular officer refusing your application for a police certificate based on a fingerprint check.

Please refer to http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/fees/reciprocity-by-country/AS.html for further information on how to obtain the Australian police certificate.

National Police Certificates based on fingerprints are preferred, but a certificate not based on fingerprints is acceptable if it shows all aliases ever used. When applying for the certificate, indicate that it is “for immigration purpose” and must be “full disclosure”.

Applicants who are required to provide an Australian police certificate should present it at the time of interview or request that it be sent directly to the Consulate where they will apply.

Thank you,

Immigrant Visa Unit
U.S. Consulate General, Sydney
(CC)

That doesn't answer my question, they just pasted the information from the website!!!

Any advice on what I should do?

Thanks!

The had a regular police check (no fingerprints and it went through).

We also got the fingerprint one but it didn't reach the consulate before we were approved

IR1 - Spouse VisaPetition I-130

Posted from Australia 05/24/2014

Email receipt received 06/09/2014

Paid from Bank 06/09/2014

Approved online update on case status 06/20/2014

Received NOA1 in the post 06/22/2014

NOA2 received in post 07/10/2014

NVC

Email from NVC 8/7/2014

AoS ready for paymentDS-261 submitted 8/8/2014

AoS Fee Paid 8/12/2014

AoS and IV scan date 10/25/2014

Checklist: 12/18/2014

Posted updated packet for checklist on 2/25/2015

Received by NVC 3/2/2015

Case Complete: 3/2/2015

Interview: 4/21/2015

Approved: 4/21/2014

POE: 6/2/2015<p>

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

I selected code 35 which said 'Overseas employment/visa – for supply to a country other than Australia ' hopefully this is ok!!! It literally says for visa in the description so I'm sure its fine, still waiting to receive the certificate in the mail. I sent off fingerprints too so i don't see why there would be any issue come the interview - still now I'm a little worried :/

NOA1: 10/27/15

NOA2: 05/11/15

SENT TO NVC: 05/29/15

RECEIVED BY NVC: 06/05/15

CASE NUMBER ASSIGNED: 06/08/15

LEFT NVC: 06/10/15

RECEIVED BY CONSULATE: 06/16/15

INTERVIEW: 07/16/15 - Approved!

POE: 08/03/15

MARRIED: 09/25/15

AOS SENT & EAD: 10/09/15

NOA 1 AOS: 10/16/15

BIOMETRICS: 11/09/15

(L) (L) (L) (L) (L) (L) (L) (L) (L) (L) (L) (L) (L) (L) (L) (L) (L) (L)

Timeline

When you receive it it well either say "Standard Disclosure" or "Full Disclosure" on it so you'll know if you got the right one. Many people have only given standard disclosure and it was accepted, so you might be OK (considering you got fingerprints done, too!).

Timeline

When you receive it it well either say "Standard Disclosure" or "Full Disclosure" on it so you'll know if you got the right one. Many people have only given standard disclosure and it was accepted, so you might be OK (considering you got fingerprints done, too!).

Ok great I'll just wait till i receive it then figure out what ill do from there! They removed the money from my account last week so hopefully ill get it soon, I should have plenty of time to do another one worst case scenario. Thanks so much for your help!! :)

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

I'm not sure if this helps (I'm a DVer as opposed to a spousal visa) but for the DVers, we needed a full disclosure check which is Code 33.

Code 35 will get you a standard disclosure check, but that excludes spent offences. Code 33 will include all spent and unspent offences and is considered a full disclosure. That is what they wanted for our cases.

None of the DVers have had to get fingerprints done this year. Just a full disclosure check (code 33) with all aliases.

Edited by EmilyW

Timeline

I'm not sure if this helps (I'm a DVer as opposed to a spousal visa) but for the DVers, we needed a full disclosure check which is Code 33.

Code 35 will get you a standard disclosure check, but that excludes spent offences. Code 33 will include all spent and unspent offences and is considered a full disclosure. That is what they wanted for our cases.

None of the DVers have had to get fingerprints done this year. Just a full disclosure check (code 33) with all aliases.

Ok so maybe i should wait to get my first one back and do it again for just a name check? Just to be on the safe side so i have something that says full disclosure...

Timeline

Depends if you're in a rush to get the visa or not. As far as I'm aware, they won't reject the visa, they'll just give you a request for more information, so you can provide the correct police check after (if they don't accept the one you have).

Timeline

Depends if you're in a rush to get the visa or not. As far as I'm aware, they won't reject the visa, they'll just give you a request for more information, so you can provide the correct police check after (if they don't accept the one you have).

That's been the experience of DVers who haven't had their check done in time for their interview. The application goes into AP until the certificate is provided.

I erred on the side of caution (we already had the Code 35 one done) and got the Code 33, just because I didn't want to give the consular officer any reason to reject our application!

Timeline

Ok good to know i was worried that if i had the wrong one my visa would be denied, Im kind of in a rush but i still don't have a case number from NVC so i probably have time to do it again, i was thinking id call the AFP tomorrow and ask if its too late/possible to change my check to a full disclosure.

Timeline

That's been the experience of DVers who haven't had their check done in time for their interview. The application goes into AP until the certificate is provided.

I erred on the side of caution (we already had the Code 35 one done) and got the Code 33, just because I didn't want to give the consular officer any reason to reject our application!

Did you do a fingerprint check for both or just a name check? Im not sure if i should just do a name check if i have to apply for another police check with code 33 so i get the certificate quicker?

Timeline

No fingerprints. Just the regular check with Code 33 selected. There has not been a DVer this year who has had their fingerprints done and no-one has been tackled on that at interview. They are happy with a basic check so long as it is full disclosure and includes all aliases.

Timeline

No fingerprints. Just the regular check with Code 33 selected. There has not been a DVer this year who has had their fingerprints done and no-one has been tackled on that at interview. They are happy with a basic check so long as it is full disclosure and includes all aliases.

Great thanks :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.