terri_blake

Red flag over religious differences?

136 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am newly engaged to the love of my life, Basim. He is Egyptian and Muslim and I am American and raised very Pentacostal. this message board is truly a gift and wealth of knowledge. We are wondering if differences between religions cause hold ups during the k1 visa process?

Interviewers will take local customs into consideration, and will expect there to be sound answers in regards to how the ceremony will take place, under what religion etc., however, as it is a US immigration process, it'll be understood that the marriage and relationship up until that point may vary from local customs as per the answers given during the interview.

Edited by lost_at_sea

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

My husband is muslim I'm Christian. Muslims are allowed to marry from a different religion and do quite often, I had an Islamic wedding but regardless I wouldnt even worry about this being a flag really as it's not against any cultural norm Muslims marry Jews, Catholics, etc everyday . They would probably ask how his family feels about it if anything this is where the red flag about religion differences could come up .

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Not at all. My Muslim friend in UK recently got through the K1 process , his fiancée was American Christian. now he is in US and got married last week. :) You don't have to worry about this at all. Good luck on your journey.

Edited by Kali2015

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hi,

I am newly engaged to the love of my life, Basim. He is Egyptian and Muslim and I am American and raised very Pentacostal. this message board is truly a gift and wealth of knowledge. We are wondering if differences between religions cause hold ups during the k1 visa process?

I think this will become a factor and may be a reason to put the case in A P as we see with many cases from Egypt. They are certainly going to want to know about this basic difference in beliefs impact on the relationship.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

To clarify he is of an extremely conservative branch, sounds like Wahhabbism.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Yes he was raised very orthodox but he is very open minded and curious about modern culture. His parents are like my parents, old fashioned, conservative, and super traditional. Basim and I are both wanting to explore more contemporary ways while still embracing our heritages.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Tunisia
Timeline

Yes he was raised very orthodox but he is very open minded and curious about modern culture. His parents are like my parents, old fashioned, conservative, and super traditional. Basim and I are both wanting to explore more contemporary ways while still embracing our heritages.

I doubt religion will be a problem I'm a muslim my wife was a christian when we got married and I wasn't even questioned about the difference.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I doubt religion will be a problem I'm a muslim my wife was a christian when we got married and I wasn't even questioned about the difference.

What is she now?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

My brother Catholic married a Jewish girl and there were no questions about religious difference or any RFE. The process was very smooth for them.

They had lived together for about 4 years, traveled all over central america. Had tons of photos together, going on adventures, doing sports, making out, being goofy etc etc etc.

He had previously been issued a B2 visa and was in good standing, meaning that when he visited he always came back long before his 6month allowance per inspection was over.

Considering he'll be interviewed in Egypt, and as some posters have said previously, Muslims can marry Jews and Christians, and as you are a Christian it should not raise any red flags. However, in this day and age, with Egypt being a high fraud country, it may cause some issues.

I hate to break it to you, but if he's very conservative, don't expect him not to pressure you into converting. Yes, it's allowed for men to marry outside of the religion in Islam; however, if he's very religious, he either has plans to convert you later, or he's committing fraud. No Muslim who is truly into their faith will ever be open to exploring other faiths. It's just not heard of. This is coming from personal experience, I'm not spewing nonsense. I've been a Muslim all my life, raised in a Muslim household, and have a Muslim fiance. I know the religion through and through. Yes, there are people who will "explore" and convert to other faiths, but those people were never conservatives in the first place. Not to be rude, but you need to understand that if he tells you he is interested in your faith, then he's either not conservative, or he's lying to you.

Not all Muslims are the same as you should know. He was engaged to a Coptic Christian girl 5 years ago. Just because closedmindedness is normal to what you know please dont say what he will do. You dont know him. And please don't say he's either doing one thing or another. He is not trying to convert me and he isnt a fraudster. How dare you say that? Get your facts straight. Edited by terri_blake

If you think this will be a problem, you can give a brief explanation on how you two have overcome this. For example, I know that even though my guy is the most wonderful person in the entire planet, if he was Hindu, then I could not love him as I do now, and I would not engage with him. He feels the same way if I believed in the trinity. If this question comes up for us, he will explain the similarities in our beliefs and maybe even give an example of spiritual conversations we have had.

Signature coming soon...

If you think this will be a problem, you can give a brief explanation on how you two have overcome this. For example, I know that even though my guy is the most wonderful person in the entire planet, if he was Hindu, then I could not love him as I do now, and I would not engage with him. He feels the same way if I believed in the trinity. If this question comes up for us, he will explain the similarities in our beliefs and maybe even give an example of spiritual conversations we have had.

Wow this is great advice. Thank you!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.