5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Fiji
Timeline

Just wanted to share our experience so far with the USCIS as well as the NVC in hopes that this information will be useful to another couple out there going through the same thing. We were just notified today that my husbands interview date was scheduled.

Timeframe:

Time spent at USCIS: 5 months, 2 weeks

Time spent at NVC: 2 months, 1 week

Time from NVC to Embassy/Interview: 1 month, 2 weeks

Total time spent from USCIS to Embassy/Interview: 9 months, 1 week

We initially started this journey in August of 2014. First off, while I was 'google-ing' which visa to apply for, I found this website. I then used this website to figure out what needed to be submitted and how to assemble the I-130 packet. .(I apologize for not having that link saved, but the order should be easily found if searched for in the search field box) I submitted the form I-130 for my husband (see below for specifics) and was notified with in a week that our packet had been received. The wait from there to the NOA2 was the longest wait. Our receipt number didnt access our online status until about a month after we received it in the mail. But once I was able to follow up using our receipt number online, our status hardly changed over the 5 months that it took for processing.

From there, we were notified in February 2015 (by email) that our case had been approved and was being sent to the NVC. At this time I began getting all the documents ready for the Affidavit of Support packet as well as obtaining original documents we didnt have (such as my husbands birth certificate, divorce certificate, marriage certitificate originals (3x just in case)). I also had my husband get all the information he would need to fill out the IV application. What took the longest to obtain was the contact information for his previous employers since he only had his Employer/job title/job description on his most current CV. (there's an exemplar DS-260 available on the NVC website).

The tricky parts associated with our paperwork at the NVC included researching what specific processes needed to be followed for his country (Fiji). There were a few exceptions as well minor things that we either needed to include with our supporting documents, or didnt need until the time of the actual interview. During the time that our case was at the NVC, I called multiple times for updates. The estimated processing timees that were given to us in writing, were usually a lot longer than it actually took to review and process our papers at the NVC. If you go look below, you'll be able to see the details of what happened and how often I called the NVC. We just received our interview assignment this morning. I did not expect it to happen so quickly. But I can only assume it did happen as fast as it did because his US Embassy is not as busy as other countrys.

If anyone has questions that I can try and help with, please do not hesitate to reach out to me. I was soooo grateful for all the tips and advice I received while using this website and I only wish to be able to help another couple (even just a little bit).

Take care & wishing the best of luck to all of you! and remember...stay positive! :)

- Hala'i

July 18, 2014 - Married in Fiji
Aug 21, 2014 - Sent I-130
Aug 26, 2014 - I-130 recieved
Feb 12, 2015 - I-130 Approved!
Mar 6, 2015 - NVC receieved our case (found this out on Mar 11th phone call with NVC rep)
Mar 11, 2015 - Called NVC, was given case # & invoice #
Mar 11, 2015 - Paid AOS Bill
Mar 13, 2015 - AOS Fee deducted from bank account
Mar 14, 2015 - Received DS-261/AOS Bill (in mail)
Mar 16, 2015 - Called NVC, was instructed to mail out AOS/I-864, mailed I-864EZ/AOS/Documents (2 day shipping)
Mar 18, 2015 - Packet received by NVC, AOS Fee marked as PAID on ceac.state.gov website

Mar 23, 2015 - Called NVC: 1.to verify packet received(was told to allow 60 days for review) 2. to ask if DS-261 was entered in the system (was told case is too new to revivew over the phone, but I could call back in a few days if I wish to see if we could review it over the phone)
Mar 24, 2015 - Called NVC and was able to review DS-261 over the phone; added emails, designated self as agent of choice. Should be able to pay IV Fee & fill out DS-260 in one week (31/03/15)
Mar 25, 2015 - Paid IV Fee
Mar 26, 2015 - IV Fee shown as 'Paid'
Mar 28, 2015 - Submit DS-260

April 1, 2015 - Medical Exam in Suva, called NVC for update on case: said it wasnt in the system yet, still in review. allow 45 days for case complete (hey, thats better than the 60 they said earlier!) They will only email us if they need further information, otherwise expect interview letter in the mail.

April 7, 2015 - Called NVC to follow up, no update given

April 14, 2015 - Checked ceac.state.gov website, saw that there were 3 N/A's, called NVC to verify that case was complete

April 15, 2015 - Received false checklist, called NVC to verify that was actually false checklist (re: police certificate would be sent directly to embassy and therefore was not included with support documents submitted in IV Packet)

April 16, 2015 - Called NVC to re-verify that received false checklist. Confirmed AND was told that interview date was scheduled

May 28, 2015 - Interview Scheduled at 8am, Suva Embassy (need to reschedule due to conflicting obligations)

Filed: Timeline

Thank you for all of this! If we go this route, I would love to talk with you. We are just now starting out.

Some of my favorite quotes:

"There are not enough words in the English language to describe how much I love you. I want to serve you for the good of us. Your smile. I never tire of seeing your smile. I'm patient; you're worth waiting for. I want to marry you." - My sweetheart, 4/8/15

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems men face." Ronald Reagan.

"Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese." G.K. Chesterton

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all." Oscar Wilde

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." Ralph Waldo Emerson

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." Steve Martin

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from CR-1 Process forum to the CR-1 Case Progress subforum. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Fiji
Timeline

Thank you for all of this! If we go this route, I would love to talk with you. We are just now starting out.

Yes, please feel free to reach out to us should you have any questions. I'll try my best to help you or steer you in the right direction! Good luck!

Hey Halai..Congratulation ....You are very near to end of biggest hurdle...lols...I'm very happy for you. By the way, I have noticed in your posting that you have mentioned about arranging/collecting 3x original of civil documents...if I'm right....if so, then I'm wondering why? As far as I know, only NVC used to demand for the original...which is only one original copy of these documents...but they have recently stopped...Now photocopies are accepted...And since your case got completed at NVC just now then I'm wondering where all these preparation for original documents came in?....I know, people need at the time of interview but no more with USCIS and NVC....Am I right or am I missing something out here?? You see, things do change time and time again...so do the process...So, people could learn a lot from your experiences too...

I collected a few originals of our documents just incase we lost or misplaced one of them. I rather be over prepared than under prepared. That's the only reasoning behind that piece. Also I had been sending these original documents to my husband thru the mail. So I wanted to have back up in case they letter got lost in the mail or something unexpected happened. That's just me though hahaha.

Thank you for the congratulations! :) I'm pretty stoked! hahaha

July 18, 2014 - Married in Fiji
Aug 21, 2014 - Sent I-130
Aug 26, 2014 - I-130 recieved
Feb 12, 2015 - I-130 Approved!
Mar 6, 2015 - NVC receieved our case (found this out on Mar 11th phone call with NVC rep)
Mar 11, 2015 - Called NVC, was given case # & invoice #
Mar 11, 2015 - Paid AOS Bill
Mar 13, 2015 - AOS Fee deducted from bank account
Mar 14, 2015 - Received DS-261/AOS Bill (in mail)
Mar 16, 2015 - Called NVC, was instructed to mail out AOS/I-864, mailed I-864EZ/AOS/Documents (2 day shipping)
Mar 18, 2015 - Packet received by NVC, AOS Fee marked as PAID on ceac.state.gov website

Mar 23, 2015 - Called NVC: 1.to verify packet received(was told to allow 60 days for review) 2. to ask if DS-261 was entered in the system (was told case is too new to revivew over the phone, but I could call back in a few days if I wish to see if we could review it over the phone)
Mar 24, 2015 - Called NVC and was able to review DS-261 over the phone; added emails, designated self as agent of choice. Should be able to pay IV Fee & fill out DS-260 in one week (31/03/15)
Mar 25, 2015 - Paid IV Fee
Mar 26, 2015 - IV Fee shown as 'Paid'
Mar 28, 2015 - Submit DS-260

April 1, 2015 - Medical Exam in Suva, called NVC for update on case: said it wasnt in the system yet, still in review. allow 45 days for case complete (hey, thats better than the 60 they said earlier!) They will only email us if they need further information, otherwise expect interview letter in the mail.

April 7, 2015 - Called NVC to follow up, no update given

April 14, 2015 - Checked ceac.state.gov website, saw that there were 3 N/A's, called NVC to verify that case was complete

April 15, 2015 - Received false checklist, called NVC to verify that was actually false checklist (re: police certificate would be sent directly to embassy and therefore was not included with support documents submitted in IV Packet)

April 16, 2015 - Called NVC to re-verify that received false checklist. Confirmed AND was told that interview date was scheduled

May 28, 2015 - Interview Scheduled at 8am, Suva Embassy (need to reschedule due to conflicting obligations)

• 1 month later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.