alborosie8090

I-134 Evidence

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

Hi guys,

A few questions on I-134 form. I've been searching around and seem to find the same questions but no answers. Our I-129F was recently approved last Friday (ahh!). Trying to gather all my documents. I have my letter from work, and am wondering: can I just include the last two pay stubs with letter (I make over 125% poverty line easily and am in a full-time perm position) and call it good?

Or...

- Is letter from bank and deposit/savings info absolutely required, even if work salary is above the poverty line?

- When it says submit "Submit in duplicate evidence of income and resources, as appropriate." -- does that mean I need to submit two copies of the letter? Two copies of bank statements (if even at all?). Of everything? Also as far as the wording 'as appropriate' - does that just mean I could do "B. Statement from Employer" instead of A (and obviously not doing C?)

Don't want to risk running into any problems by not sending bank info but honestly, I really don't want to send all my bank and financial info in the mail. I won't be going to the interview and it will just be my fiance, however, so don't want anything weird to happen either. I do tend to overthink things so would appreciate some insight/opinions.

Let me guys know what you think or if anyone has specific experience with this and what you did/what worked. Thanks so much!

All the best,

Arianna

Edited by alborosie8090

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

This has been answered many times actually. The search here on VJ does not work well anymore, so perhaps that is why you could not find the answers.

If your income meets the requirement, then no need for bank statements or letters from the bank. You just need your most recent tax transcript, letter from employer and/or recent pay stubs.

Those that are self-employed, have non-taxable income or need to show assets might find the need to show bank statements, but typically they are not needed.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

This has been answered many times actually. The search here on VJ does not work well anymore, so perhaps that is why you could not find the answers.

If your income meets the requirement, then no need for bank statements or letters from the bank. You just need your most recent tax transcript, letter from employer and/or recent pay stubs.

Those that are self-employed, have non-taxable income or need to show assets might find the need to show bank statements, but typically they are not needed.

Hi KayDeeCee,

Thanks for responding. I did a little more searching and did in fact see some answers to this question, it just took a little digging. :) Appreciate your help.

Question about the tax transcript - for 2014, it shows my income as above poverty level but not 125% poverty guidelines ONLY because I was living and working in Costa Rica (where I met my now-to-be husband, thus this petition).

My tax transcripts for 2013, however, are perfectly well above the 125% guidelines, as is my current income. I'm concerned if I send a copy of my most recent tax transcript it will raise a red flag. Thoughts on this? Should I send 2013 & 2014 transcripts? Or should I just send none and stick with proof of current income? On the directions for I-134 I don't see anything about tax transcripts, just pay stubs and current income. What do you think would be best?

I also really am trying to figure out if I should spend the $ to fly out and be at the interview. I was just there in March preparing all of our paperwork and with the upcoming AOS process and expenses I would prefer not to have to spend another $1,000 to fly back out there, but if it will help the case and get us approved then obviously every penny is worth it. Any insight on that?

Thanks everyone.

Your current income is what matters the most. As long as your current income is 125% of the poverty level, then you should be fine. Have proof of current income such as employer letter and recent pay stubs. Your most recent tax return is usually a requirement of the consulate, and you would have to send it. The directions for the I-134 are general instructions for most non-immigrant visa categories, not just K-1. Your embassy will have specific instructions on what is required to bring as evidence for the I-134. Additional proof is optional, but you are required to bring what the embassy instructions state to bring.

It is your choice to fly out there or not. Your being there will not likely make or break the case. However sometimes it's good to be there even if only for moral support for your fiancé. I chose to be with my wife (then fiancée) for her interview, but it was because I wanted to be, not because I thought it would help her case.

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

Timeline

Your current income is what matters the most. As long as your current income is 125% of the poverty level, then you should be fine. Have proof of current income such as employer letter and recent pay stubs. Your most recent tax return is usually a requirement of the consulate, and you would have to send it. The directions for the I-134 are general instructions for most non-immigrant visa categories, not just K-1. Your embassy will have specific instructions on what is required to bring as evidence for the I-134. Additional proof is optional, but you are required to bring what the embassy instructions state to bring.

It is your choice to fly out there or not. Your being there will not likely make or break the case. However sometimes it's good to be there even if only for moral support for your fiancé. I chose to be with my wife (then fiancée) for her interview, but it was because I wanted to be, not because I thought it would help her case.

Hi Zedayn,

Thanks for your response. Yes, the likelihood is that I will fly out there. It is just hard because I want to save my very little PTO and money for when he comes here and money is tight right now. This hasn't been a cheap process. The question is not a matter of "want" to clarify, its a bit insulting that anyone would even suggest that I would not want to be with my fiance to support and for the process.. of course I want to be with him. I just don't have the luxury of a lot of financial freedom to just do whatever I want at the moment. I'm trying to plan appropriately financially.

Anyhow, thanks for the tips.

• 4 months later...

Hi Zedayn,

Thanks for your response. Yes, the likelihood is that I will fly out there. It is just hard because I want to save my very little PTO and money for when he comes here and money is tight right now. This hasn't been a cheap process. The question is not a matter of "want" to clarify, its a bit insulting that anyone would even suggest that I would not want to be with my fiance to support and for the process.. of course I want to be with him. I just don't have the luxury of a lot of financial freedom to just do whatever I want at the moment. I'm trying to plan appropriately financially.

Anyhow, thanks for the tips.

Hello,

My Costa Rican fiance and I are planning for an interview in early October and I was just curious if you could tell me what you finally ended up sending or taking to the interview for the I-134 part of the packet? Did you get the letter from the bank or no?

I have my pay stubs, tax returns, bank statements, and will be getting a letter from my employer. Just curious if this is enough for CR embassy?

Thanks in advance.

Timeline

Hello,

My Costa Rican fiance and I are planning for an interview in early October and I was just curious if you could tell me what you finally ended up sending or taking to the interview for the I-134 part of the packet? Did you get the letter from the bank or no?

I have my pay stubs, tax returns, bank statements, and will be getting a letter from my employer. Just curious if this is enough for CR embassy?

Thanks in advance.

I just had my pay stubs and letter from employer and it worked just fine. I had my bank statements and tax returns just in case, but they didn't need them/ask for them/or look at them. You will be fine with a letter from your employer and pay stubs as long as you meet the requirements and make 125% poverty line.

Tax stuff is good to organize early on anyways, because you will need it for AOS, which is now what I am right in the middle of. Good luck!! Let me know if you have other questions!!

Edited by alborosie8090

I just had my pay stubs and letter from employer and it worked just fine. I had my bank statements and tax returns just in case, but they didn't need them/ask for them/or look at them. You will be fine with a letter from your employer and pay stubs as long as you meet the requirements and make 125% poverty line.

Tax stuff is good to organize early on anyways, because you will need it for AOS, which is now what I am right in the middle of!

Thanks so much!!!! I would actually have to leave work early to get to my bank before they close. I am definitely not going out of my way to get that letter if I don't need to.

Also, did you take copies of your pay stubs or the originals?

Timeline

Thanks so much!!!! I would actually have to leave work early to get to my bank before they close. I am definitely not going out of my way to get that letter if I don't need to.

Also, did you take copies of your pay stubs or the originals?

I didn't need it at all, so my guess is you will be fine. You can always bring your statements just in case, but again, the only thing the officer that looked at our information was concerned about was current income and proof of that (letter from employer and paystubs). I had just copies of my paystubs and it worked fine. I printed 6 months worth of them and it was sufficient.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.