spousevisaUSA

At visa interview today, asked to complete Joint Sponsor i-864 :(

14 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

My husband's interview was today in Madrid. I was hoping to be writing a victorious "We finally got the visa!!" post today, but unfortunately that will have to wait.

At the visa interview in Madrid, my husband was told that since we're both currently unemployed (we're both leaving Spain and moving to the U.S.), we need to file for a Joint Sponsor. I suppose I can understand that, it just would have been nice to have been warned since I was unemployed when I filed my i-864 with the NVC but, as I was still earning above the poverty line, it wasn't a problem with the NVC... Aaaanyway, I ran around like a lunatic today getting all the necessary documents (which I've listed below if anyone's interested) and expressed mailed them to Madrid this afternoon.

My questions are: Assuming the documents arrive to Madrid this Friday, April 17th, when will the embassy send my husband his visa? Will the process only be delayed the 48 hours it will take for the documents to arrive to Madrid? Has this ever happened to anyone else? Will they also send him the packet of information that he needs to take with him when he travels to the U.S.?

Thanks very much!

Ivy

​Check out my blog on our visa process: https://spousevisausa.wordpress.com

Documents sent:

· Completed and signed form I-864

· Photocopy of our Joint Sponsor's valid passport biographic data page

· Form 4868 and a letter explain why our JS hasn't filed taxes for 2014

· Our JS's Federal Tax Returns from 2013

· Our JS's 1099s from 2013 (our JS is self employed, otherwise we would have sent her 2013 W2s)

· Our JS's personal business license from Massachusetts (because she's self-employed, otherwise not applicable)

· Our JS's personal personal license from Massachusetts (because she's self-employed)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Might have waited a day and used 2014 as well.

I do not know how long it takes in Spain,a few weeks or so in London.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

4868 is a tax extension request form, so I'm guessing they didn't make the deadline.

I'd search the forum for other Spanish I-130 filers and see how long they usually wait for processing. I'd say 48 hours is optimistic, it might well arrive and sit in someone's tray for a couple of days before they process it and match it up with the right paperwork.

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

4868 is a tax extension request form, so I'm guessing they didn't make the deadline.

I'd search the forum for other Spanish I-130 filers and see how long they usually wait for processing. I'd say 48 hours is optimistic, it might well arrive and sit in someone's tray for a couple of days before they process it and match it up with the right paperwork.

Not that familiar with using self employed for Sponsorship, from what I have seen better to avoid, how does some one substantiate current income?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Not that familiar with using self employed for Sponsorship, from what I have seen better to avoid, how does some one substantiate current income?

Eh? confused.

OH. I just realised what you mean. JS is self-employed. I missed that bit. I mean, it might be fine... *shrugs* I guess you prove current income based on previous income, but yeah, I see your point. Without a tax return, it'd be difficult to show it's still a lucrative enough position.

Edited by lost_at_sea

26th August 2016 - NOA1

7th June 2017 - Oath

Timeline

Hey guys,

Thanks for the first few replies! Perhaps my initial post was a bit confusing. I'm not worried about my Joint Sponsor's income, she makes well over the minimum so I don't foresee that being a problem. Also, lost_at_sea, you are correct, I didn't include my JS's 2014 tax return because, as I said in my initial post, she had filed for an extension (Form 4868). I did include her 2013 tax return and 1099s which, again, shows she makes well over the minimum.

My questions were really more about if anyone has ever had to send additional forms to a U.S. Embassy (not the NVC) after a visa interview and how long they take to process. Also, I want to know if the U.S. Embassy in Madrid will send my husband the packet of information he needs to give to U.S. Customs when he arrives in the U.S. I tried reaching out to the Embassy to answer these questions and got a really unhelpful call center so I wanted to see if anyone has had a similar experience and can tell me what to expect.

Thanks again for your help!

Ivy

~~moved to embassy discussion from IR1/CR1 process and procedures as OP is asking questions about just the embassy and is in AP until a joint sponsor is produced~~

it's past the tax deadline so it's possible for them to ask for a 2014 tax return, even if the person received an extension. I've moved your question because as you stated you're looking for embassy specific answers.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Oh no! I just got my interview date for Madrid next month and we're attempting assets only. This certainly doesn't give me much hope.

Best of luck getting things turned in ASAP. I'll certainly be following your case now since we'll most likely be in your shoes in a month!

09/24/14 Marriage

USCIS

10/23/14 Mailed I-130 from Spain

11/05/14 NOA 1, routed to CSC

12/04/14 NOA 2

NVC

12/17/14 Case received

01/22/15 Case number assigned

01/23/15 DS-261 completed

01/26/15 AOS bill invoiced and paid

02/09/15 Mailed both packages from Spain

02/17/15 Scan date AOS & IV packages

02/17/15 IV bill invoiced

02/18/15 IV bill paid

02/20/15 DS-260 completed

03/24/15 Case Complete

04/16/15 P4 email

Madrid Embassy

05/26/15 Medical

05/28/15 Interview- Approved

07/29/15 POE

Oh no! I just got my interview date for Madrid next month and we're attempting assets only. This certainly doesn't give me much hope.

Best of luck getting things turned in ASAP. I'll certainly be following your case now since we'll most likely be in your shoes in a month!

Don't freak out. The OP had no income or assets, so they weren't even trying that route. If you've got well enough assets to satisfy the criteria, then it'll likely be fine.

26th August 2016 - NOA1

7th June 2017 - Oath

Timeline

ABDyJLSO, what the embassy was concerned about is that because I recently left my job in Spain to travel to the U.S., I don't have any immediate prospect of a steady income in the future. My husband also doesn't have a job offer here in the U.S. so we're in a bit of a limbo period (aka, my parents' house). Our case may be a little bit different since we were both based in Spain up until recently.

Assuming your assets satisfy the NVC's criteria AND they will remain assets up until the day of the interview, you should be fine. If you're still concerned, you could always go to the Embassy with a completed i864/Joint Sponsor form and accompanying paperwork just in case. If they make a fuss about the assets, give it to them, if they don't ask, shred it. If it will give you peace of mind, it may be worth it!

Timeline

Thanks for the input. I realize our cases aren't the same, but I've searched all over VJ and only found one person who attempted assets-only about a year ago and was required to get a joint sponsor. So for lack of other information I'm getting myself worked up for nothing on pretty much anything negative I hear out of Madrid. Pointless, I know!

Regardless, when ever you hear back from them I'd love to hear how long they take post-interview to approve joint sponsors.

09/24/14 Marriage

USCIS

12/04/14 NOA 2

NVC

12/17/14 Case received

02/18/15 IV bill paid

03/24/15 Case Complete

04/16/15 P4 email

Madrid Embassy

05/26/15 Medical

07/29/15 POE

Timeline

Our visa just got approved today at the US embassy in Madrid, and we applied on assets only. We are both currently working in Spain. Next week we will leave our jobs and head to the US to look for work there.

Timeline

Congrats!!! That's the best news I've heard in ages!!!!!! :dancing:

09/24/14 Marriage

USCIS

12/04/14 NOA 2

NVC

12/17/14 Case received

02/18/15 IV bill paid

03/24/15 Case Complete

04/16/15 P4 email

Madrid Embassy

05/26/15 Medical

07/29/15 POE

Timeline

ABDyJLSO, that's great news, congrats!

My husband received his passport and packet of information from the U.S. Embassy in Madrid today. FINALLY he’s approved and has his visa!

For those of you following this thread who are curious as to how long it takes (at least in Madrid) for the U.S. Embassy to issue a visa after they request additional papers our timeline looked like this:

April 15:

-Interview in Madrid, Embassy asks for Joint Sponsorship

-I expressed mailed our forms from the U.S. to Madrid

April 17:

-Forms arrived to the Embassy in Madrid

April 30:

-My husband received his passport with his U.S. visa and packet of information he’ll need to take with him to the U.S.

HOOORAY! At last!

Thanks everyone for your support and advice!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.