B-2-Z

SO confused...Social Security Number

12 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi All!

I entered the US on a k-1 visa in March, and we're getting ready to file AOS....We're super confused about the whole SSN process... I will be changing my last name, and want to file the AOS in my new name as I've read that's easier...

So my question is...Do I apply for a SSN in my maiden name? Or can I just go and apply for one in my married name since I've never held one before?

Thanks in advance!

Met 2008. Moved in together 2010. Married 2015. Baby Z joined us 2017 . :wub:

AOS Timeline 350 days

May 31/15 - Sent AOS/EAD/AP to USCIS

June 4/15 - Email and text notifications they were recieved

June 10/15 - NOA1 for AOS/EAD/AP Dated June 1

June 17/15- Change of address confirmation

June 22/15- Biometrics appointment received

July 1/15- Biometrics appointment done(5 minute appointment, 8 hour round trip drive <_< )

August 5/15 - Change of address submitted for new location

August 8/15 - Mobile/E-mail notifications for approved EAD/AP :)

August 17/15 - Change of address confirmation after calling in

August 17/15 - EAD/AP Combo card mailed out(To the wrong address, and then lost by USPS)

September 3/15 - Contacted USCIS and was told to re-apply with a new application and fees?! Put in a service request online for lost card, and a complaint

September 8/15 - USPS found & returned card to USCIS

September 15/15 - Ombudsman contacted USCIS

September 17/15 - Card mailed back out

September 19/15 - EAD/AP Combo card finally in hand

September 22/15 - NPIW letter received, dated September 9/2015 estimated 6 month wait

October 13-21/15 - Traveled using AP to visit parents & ship the rest of our belongings out west

November 27-30/15 - Traveled using AP

December 28/15- RFE hard copy, waiting on documents from Canada

January 31-February 7/16 - Traveled using AP

February 10/16 - Sent in RFE, delivered Feb 16

April 16/16 - Service request filed, RFE was never updated online

May 12 - Approved email and status update dated May 10. Service request never was assigned or solved, though.

May 14 - Greencard in hand!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

I got an SSN and stated my new name (with my husband's last name as mine) in it. It only took a week for them to mail me a SSN card. After that, I have applied for AOS

Timeline

Awesome, thanks Dasha & Drew!

AOS Timeline 350 days

July 1/15- Biometrics appointment done(5 minute appointment, 8 hour round trip drive <_< )

August 17/15 - EAD/AP Combo card mailed out(To the wrong address, and then lost by USPS)

September 3/15 - Contacted USCIS and was told to re-apply with a new application and fees?! Put in a service request online for lost card, and a complaint

September 22/15 - NPIW letter received, dated September 9/2015 estimated 6 month wait

October 13-21/15 - Traveled using AP to visit parents & ship the rest of our belongings out west

May 12 - Approved email and status update dated May 10. Service request never was assigned or solved, though.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

It will depend on whether or not you get a competent SSA worker. Some of them don't know how to do their own jobs and want to see US government ID, such as the EAD card, in married name before they will issue the SSN. Some have even said getting married mean you are now a K-3.

To avoid hassles, you can apply for the SSN in your maiden name and then get it changed to your married name once you have the EAD/AP or green card in married name.

And just so you know, you do not need the SSN before applying for AOS.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Hi All!

I entered the US on a k-1 visa in March, and we're getting ready to file AOS....We're super confused about the whole SSN process... I will be changing my last name, and want to file the AOS in my new name as I've read that's easier...

So my question is...Do I apply for a SSN in my maiden name? Or can I just go and apply for one in my married name since I've never held one before?

Thanks in advance!

If you are not married yet, then hurry up and apply for SS card with your maiden name.

If you are married already, very likely they will not issue you a SS card

until you get your EAD or Green card.

Regardless of what you did with SS card application,

you can apply for AOS with married name after getting married.

10-04-2013 We met online
11-21-2013 We met in person in Shanghai for 2 weeks

12-13-2013 I-129F packet sent via express

12-19-2013 USCIS NOA #1 (text and email) received

12-24-2013 USCIS assigns Alien Registration Number
12-31-2013 USCIS NOA #1 hard copy received
06-02-2014 USCIS web site shows NOA #2 approval
06-06-2014 USCIS web site shows case sent to NVC

06-xx-2014 Fiancee acquired birth, marriage, and police certificates from local police station (wrong)

06-16-2014 NVC creates case with GUZ### number

06-19-2014 NVC sends case sent to Guangzhou, China
06-24-2014 Received packet 3 express mail from embassy
06-25-2014 Completed DS-160 and paid K1 visa fee

06-26-2014 Mailed packet 3 response back to Embassy

06-26-2014 Requested police certificate from Russian embassy

07-08-2014 Received packet 4 email from Embassy

07-17-2014 Picked up Russian police certificate

07-25-2014 Fiancee medical exam (received MMR & Varicella, but they missed required TD shot)

07-31-2014 Picked up medical exam reports

08-01-2014 Request (correct) birth, marriage, and police certificates from Notarial Service (GongZhengChu)

08-06-2014 Picked up birth, marriage, and police certificates from Notarial Service

08-14-2014 Passed Interview Guangzhou embassy

09-01-2014 Received passport, visa, & sealed envelope

09-13-2014 POE

09-17-2014 Went to CBP office to get (US entry) I-94 updated correctly

09-18-2014 Applied for Social Security Card
09-19-2014 Applied for Marriage License (via online)
09-25-2014 Received Social Security Card
09-30-2014 Picked up Marriage License
10-09-2014 Marriage by Justice of Peace
10-09-2014 Got Certified Marriage Certificate Copies
10-17-2014 Received a letter from SS office that they need the marriage license
10-09-2014 Applied to change the social security card name
10-24-2014 Went back to SS office to provide the marriage certificate documents again!!!
12-09-2014 Submitted AOS, EAD, and AP
12-16-2014 Received 16 emails and 16 text NOA messages
01-05-2015 Received Biometrics appointment letter for (01-12-2015)
01-12-2015 Had Biometrics (fingerprint & picture) - Required Marriage Certificate!!!
02-17-2015 EAD and AP is approved
02-23-2015 Received AP is approval letter
02-25-2015 Received EAD/AP combo card (expires 02/16/2016)
02-27-2015 Applied for SS card name change (they took her SS card)
02-27-2015 Driver's learner permit test was denied since the SS card was given to SS office for name change
03-17-2015 Received SS card with married name
03-17-2015 Started to change all her accounts to married name
03-23-2015 Received potential interview waiver letter
03-27-2015 DMV rejects learner's permit due to "legal status=pending" and vision test failure
04-05-2015 Vision test for learner's permit
04-06-2015 DPS sent us letter that DHS cleared my wife's status to acquire driver's license.
04-10-2015 Passed Driver Learner's Permit
04-22-2015 Received Driver Learner's Permit ID card (expires 02/16/2016)
08-27-2015 Green Card approved
08-31-2015 Received Green Card "Welcome Notice Was Mailed" letter
09-05-2015 Received Green card
10-26-2015 Passed Driver's License Road Test (on 3rd attempt)
11-03-2015 Received Driver's License (expires 02/16/2022)
11-06-2015 Applied to remove conditional work remark on SS card
11-23-2015 Received updated Social Security Card.
- - - - - - - - - - Pending Future Processing - - - - - - - - - -
05-27-2017 File 10 Year Green Card
08-27-2017 2 Year Green Card Expires
05-27-2018 File USC

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

You can still apply for the SSN in maiden name, even if you married already. You just cannot apply using the K-1/I-94 if you have less than 2 weeks left before the I-94 expires.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Here is the thing: To apply for your SS without having your green card first, you need to apply in your maiden name. The reason is that you need something to back up the name you file under. For your married name, only a green card is going to back you up, which means no SS for you until you get your green card.

To get your SS number without a green card, you need to apply under your maiden name because the only thing that will back you up then is your I-94 arrival record. To do this, first of all it must be your real name and it must be in the first 75 days after your arrival.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

Here is the thing: To apply for your SS without having your green card first, you need to apply in your maiden name. The reason is that you need something to back up the name you file under. For your married name, only a green card is going to back you up, which means no SS for you until you get your green card.

To get your SS number without a green card, you need to apply under your maiden name because the only thing that will back you up then is your I-94 arrival record. To do this, first of all it must be your real name and it must be in the first 75 days after your arrival.

the marriage certificate is sufficient proof of name change, as long as there is still more than 2 weeks validity left on the I-94.

some SSA officers are less competent than others and may not be willing to issue an SSN to a K1 in the new married name based on the marriage cert, but that is a different matter. in that case, you might want to speak to the officer's supervisor, or try a different office entirely.

if someone missed the 90 days less 2 weeks period to apply for the SSN, they can apply in married name once they receive the EAD. no need to wait for the green card at all.

Flying to Seattle on 6 May 2014!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

the marriage certificate is sufficient proof of name change, as long as there is still more than 2 weeks validity left on the I-94.

some SSA officers are less competent than others and may not be willing to issue an SSN to a K1 in the new married name based on the marriage cert, but that is a different matter. in that case, you might want to speak to the officer's supervisor, or try a different office entirely.

if someone missed the 90 days less 2 weeks period to apply for the SSN, they can apply in married name once they receive the EAD. no need to wait for the green card at all.

I agree in theory that the marriage certificate should be enough to verify a name change at SSA. In practice this seems to be unknown to the SSA. Going to another office is not always possible as they are not that plentiful. In my wife's case, we tried that at our local office even talking to a supervisor, then finally gave up and had the card issued in her maiden name which matched her passport and I94. We had to go back two more times to get the name changed and remove the valid for work only conditions once she got her EAD and GC, but that was easier than driving a few hundred miles to another office.

If one is lucky, they will get a knowledgable SSA employee, but otherwise they need to decide how to make this as painless as possible.

Good Luck.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

I agree in theory that the marriage certificate should be enough to verify a name change at SSA. In practice this seems to be unknown to the SSA. Going to another office is not always possible as they are not that plentiful. In my wife's case, we tried that at our local office even talking to a supervisor, then finally gave up and had the card issued in her maiden name which matched her passport and I94. We had to go back two more times to get the name changed and remove the valid for work only conditions once she got her EAD and GC, but that was easier than driving a few hundred miles to another office.

If one is lucky, they will get a knowledgable SSA employee, but otherwise they need to decide how to make this as painless as possible.

Good Luck.

i agree that in practice, not all SSA employees are familiar with their job, as kay also mentioned earlier. however, i was correcting what an earlier poster said, that one cannot get an ssn in married name without the green card. there are many who have done this with just the marriage certificate and more who have done it once the EAD card arrived.

the GC is required to remove the "valid for work only with DHS authorization" conditions.

Flying to Seattle on 6 May 2014!

Timeline

Thanks everyone for the responses! I guess we got lucky in the small town we went to yesterday(Jamestown, ND) The lady helping us was fantastic. She put it through in my maiden name, it should be issued this morning, and she got me to fill out the paperwork to change it to my married name, which she's going to submit today. Then when they see the name change, I'll be issued the one in my married name. :)

Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it!

AOS Timeline 350 days

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

I was able to apply for SSN with my EAD and have it done under my married name. I brought my passport, my EAD and my marriage certificate. You dont need to have your GC to apply under your married name. OP, make sure you bring your passport and marriage certificate. If your i94 is expired by when you apply for ssn, you will have to wait til you get your EAD in hand.

Edit: I did my SSN in the fort lauderdale office.

Edited by Sunnyland

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.