Cara Mia

Dual Citizenship with Canada and the USA?

83 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I love the check/cheque argument - is anyone really expecting a french spelling of anything in the US ? c'mon now people, you're in a new country.

Edited by Udella&Wiz

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

I love the check/cheque argument - is anyone really expecting a french spelling of anything in the US ? c'mon now people, you're in a new country.

LOL!! I know! It took more time for me to remember to write it differently than anything else!

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Soda is common here in Colorado. Hubs is from Alabama which is why he grew up saying "coke." I grew up saying Pop in BC. I only write cheque when referring to a Canadian cheque anymore. Otherwise it's check. I was explaining toque to people today. They all looked at me like I had a 3rd eyeball. LMAO

Actually I hear pop here a lot more than soda in Colorado. The only times I hear "soda" is from the transplants from the northeast. Generally though native Coloradians say pop...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We are going to be applying for ROC in June. My 2 yr GC date issue is 9/9/13. I was perfectly fine just to keep permanent residency, but then found out that my children (both under 18) can piggyback off mine, if I apply for US Citizenship through naturalization. I think it would be beneficial for them both to have dual citizenship so that they can decide in future if they wish to remain in the US or go back to Canada to live.

As long as I can always keep my Canadian citizenship I am fine with getting US Citizenship, otherwise I would never give that up. After all, I am a Canadian first and foremost. It seems that I am able to do that - after reading this thread.

I understand that because I am married to a US Citizen that I can apply for citizenship after 3 years. But my question is, is the 3 years based on

1. date of entry?
  2. date of original greencard residency (9/9/13)?
  3. date of issue on 10 year GC?

Just trying to figure out when I would be eligible to apply. Thanks.

BTW: In Texas it is soda, and yes whenever I say washroom, people look at me funny. I write checks (not cheques), and when I say toque, people have no clue what I'm talking about. It is a beanie here. I find that funny. :content:

Oh and the fahrenheit thing... after two years, I am still converting to find out the actual temperature in celcius. My vehicle is in kms (which shows smaller miles on the speedometer). First time I drove with my friend, she wondered why I always seemed to be speeding. :rolleyes:

But I don't miss the cold. :)

Kimberley and Richard
Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Montreal, Canada
2012-01-25 : I-129F Sent
2012-01-27 : VSC Received
2012-01-31 : I-129F NOA1 Notice Date
2012-02-01 : Touch
2012-07-05 : RFE Email (after 161 days)
2012-07-11 : RFE Received in Mail
2012-07-12 : RFE Reply Sent via USPS Overnight
2012-07-13 : RFE Reply Received at VSC at 12:16 PM
2012-07-18 : Case status updated to: "Request for Evidence Response Review"
2012-09-20 : Service Request Submitted with Tier 2 ISO
2012-09-25 : NOA2 Approved after 242 days!!
2013-01-07: Medical
2013-01-22: Interview - Approved! smile.png

My blog and video review of the Montreal Hotel that we stayed in: http://fanatictourist.com/blog/travel-tales/review-le-square-phillips-hotel-and-suites-montreal-canada/

2013-04-30: POE - Sarnia / Pt. Huron

2013-05-06: Made it legal.

2013-06-10: Apply for AOS, EAD and AP

2013-08-27: EAD / AP Received
2013-09-17: Greencard Received

2013-09-28: Wedding! smile.png

2015-06-15: Sent I-751 Application - Removal of Conditions.
2015-11-23: Approved
2015-12-02: 10 yr Green Card Rec'd.

We are going to be applying for ROC in June. My 2 yr GC date issue is 9/9/13. I was perfectly fine just to keep permanent residency, but then found out that my children (both under 18) can piggyback off mine, if I apply for US Citizenship through naturalization. I think it would be beneficial for them both to have dual citizenship so that they can decide in future if they wish to remain in the US or go back to Canada to live.

As long as I can always keep my Canadian citizenship I am fine with getting US Citizenship, otherwise I would never give that up. After all, I am a Canadian first and foremost. It seems that I am able to do that - after reading this thread.

^^ that is my debate as well.... as of now (I know I've got a long way to go yet...) but I see no benefit to go for citizenship - except where my kids are concerned....

I keep looking at it as "do I want to saddle them with having to renew their green card or paying for citizenship when I can do it once and cover all three of us....." It also gives them the option of going to school, working, living anywhere in either country....

we will cross that bridge when we get there.....

Met in the SCA - DRACO INVICTUS!  08-14-2014 Married in Ann Arbor, MI

Spoiler

USCIS.... DONE  in 150 day from NOA1 to NOA2 (TSC)

NVC... DONE  in 116 days from NOA2 to final CC

Final Steps... DONE in 350 days from NOA1 to POE
POE 08-11-2015 in Detroit, MI 

Removal of Conditions

07-11-2017 NOA1 date (rec'd on 14th)

08-03-2017 Daughter and I completed biometrics; May 2018 - I had to redo my biometrics (reason unknown)

WAC17283xxxxx....and we wait...400 days

07-13-2018 I-551 extension stamp (12 mths) obtained at USCIS office in Detroit

09-20-2018 Transferred to TSC

10-15-2018 Text notification "New Card Being Produced"   YAY!!

Timeline

Does anyone know what happens to your OHIP and all that when you move into the US? Do you just notify them you're moving into the states and then it no longer becomes valid? What if I were to move back into Canada in the future? Is there a huge process for me to become a canadian citizen or are they like, "you used to be one, no problem. here's your ohip and driver's license"

Does anyone know what happens to your OHIP and all that when you move into the US? Do you just notify them you're moving into the states and then it no longer becomes valid? What if I were to move back into Canada in the future? Is there a huge process for me to become a canadian citizen or are they like, "you used to be one, no problem. here's your ohip and driver's license"

As far as I'm aware, you lose your OHIP as soon as you move to the States... there *may* be some minor exceptions where there are special circumstances, but don't bet on keeping it....

Moving back to Canada is no problem either.... you will still be a citizen, but last I checked you have to be a resident of the Province at least 90 days (?) before your OHIP kicks in again...... as for your driver's license - just take your US one to a Service Ontario office and exchange it for the Ontario license....

Best wishes!!

Met in the SCA - DRACO INVICTUS!  08-14-2014 Married in Ann Arbor, MI

Spoiler

USCIS.... DONE  in 150 day from NOA1 to NOA2 (TSC)

NVC... DONE  in 116 days from NOA2 to final CC

Final Steps... DONE in 350 days from NOA1 to POE
POE 08-11-2015 in Detroit, MI 

Removal of Conditions

07-11-2017 NOA1 date (rec'd on 14th)

08-03-2017 Daughter and I completed biometrics; May 2018 - I had to redo my biometrics (reason unknown)

WAC17283xxxxx....and we wait...400 days

07-13-2018 I-551 extension stamp (12 mths) obtained at USCIS office in Detroit

09-20-2018 Transferred to TSC

10-15-2018 Text notification "New Card Being Produced"   YAY!!

Timeline

As far as I'm aware, you lose your OHIP as soon as you move to the States... there *may* be some minor exceptions where there are special circumstances, but don't bet on keeping it....

Moving back to Canada is no problem either.... you will still be a citizen, but last I checked you have to be a resident of the Province at least 90 days (?) before your OHIP kicks in again...... as for your driver's license - just take your US one to a Service Ontario office and exchange it for the Ontario license....

Best wishes!!

God I love this forum. You guys are awesome. Thanks ChristinaG!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Technically you are required to notify them, and they will cancel it for you.

I never used it at all after moving to US.

When I applied for medical insurance in US, I went through a broker, and he chose the best option for me. But still then the insurance started to kick in, in two months time. Then once I got sick, I decided to go to a clinic which I thought worked like walk in clinic in Canada. Turned out it was urgent care, and they billed me about $550 later since my insurance company didn't cover urgent care. The only best way to get treatment in US is to get an appointment from a clinic covered by your insurance. And pretty much take half a day or full day off work.

When you move back to Ontario, you will have to keep a proof of entry date. And then you can apply for OHIP again, that will be valid from 3 months after you entered.

Timeline

Technically you are required to notify them, and they will cancel it for you.

I never used it at all after moving to US.

When I applied for medical insurance in US, I went through a broker, and he chose the best option for me. But still then the insurance started to kick in, in two months time. Then once I got sick, I decided to go to a clinic which I thought worked like walk in clinic in Canada. Turned out it was urgent care, and they billed me about $550 later since my insurance company didn't cover urgent care. The only best way to get treatment in US is to get an appointment from a clinic covered by your insurance. And pretty much take half a day or full day off work.

When you move back to Ontario, you will have to keep a proof of entry date. And then you can apply for OHIP again, that will be valid from 3 months after you entered.

Thanks for the answer! Really helpful. At what point can you apply for medical insurance? I'm assuming after adjustment of status. My fiance is a nursing manager, and I believe I can get on some "family" plan of his. It's crazy to think you have to pay $550 just to go to the clinic! I love Canada <3

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

It's not tied to your immigration status. Since you pay for it.

You can shop around now if you want.

Since you are still in Canada, I suggest getting all regular medical checkups including complete physicals that you will need in Canada before ending your residence in Canada. Paying co-pay for doctor's visits, or paying tons of money out of pocket for hospitals adds up a lot of cost.

I understand that because I am married to a US Citizen that I can apply for citizenship after 3 years. But my question is, is the 3 years based on

1. date of entry?
  2. date of original greencard residency (9/9/13)?
  3. date of issue on 10 year GC?

Just trying to figure out when I would be eligible to apply. Thanks.

Hey Texas! *waves* :)

I don't see any answer to your question here, so I'll go ahead. You can apply for naturalization 90 days before the 3rd anniversary of your original GC date of issue. So, exactly 1 year after you are eligible to apply for ROC.

I'll be eligible to apply for naturalization in the fall, and I'm doing the same as you -- getting my citizenship more so that my kids can piggyback and have more options open to them as dual citizens (plus... I want to be able to vote and have a voice in this country!). But mostly, I want my kids to be able to decide where they want to live in the future.

Good to "see" you! I hope life is treating you well!

The K-1 Visa journey for myself and my two K-2 children:

K-1: NOA1 2011-8-10; NOA2 2012-1-12; Interview 2012-4-24; Visa issued 2012-9-17; POE (Sarnia) 2012-9-26; Wedding! 2012-10-02
AOS: NOA1 2012-11-20; Biometrics 2012-12-14; AP/EAD approved 2013-1-11; Interview 2013-1-31; 2-yr Green cards in hand 2013-2-9 (101 days total)

ROC: NOA1 11-7-14; Biometrics 12-1-14; 10-yr Green cards ordered 4-13-15! (157 days total)

Counting down to naturalization time!

Then you may want to read the oath you are required to take. http://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship/naturalization-test/naturalization-oath-allegiance-united-states-america

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.