greentom

How to determine income for I-864

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I'm working on the I-864 right now, Affidavit of Support.

In my situation I must show $19,912 worth of income. Since I've been living outside of the country to be with my wife it makes things a little bit complicated.

On my tax return on my 1040 line #12, my business income was $25,561 - more than enough.

Line #13, capital gains $969

However, on line 21 I took a Foreign Earned Income exemption for $19,862. I was able to do this because I was outside of the USA for more than 330 days last year.

That puts my total income, line 22 at $6,668.

My question is would I be able to sign the I-186 with my income like this? And specifically what line number are they looking at on the 1040 to determine if I'm above the poverty line?

Thanks in advance!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I'm working on the I-864 right now, Affidavit of Support.

In my situation I must show $19,912 worth of income. Since I've been living outside of the country to be with my wife it makes things a little bit complicated.

On my tax return on my 1040 line #12, my business income was $25,561 - more than enough.

Line #13, capital gains $969

However, on line 21 I took a Foreign Earned Income exemption for $19,862. I was able to do this because I was outside of the USA for more than 330 days last year.

That puts my total income, line 22 at $6,668.

My question is would I be able to sign the I-186 with my income like this? And specifically what line number are they looking at on the 1040 to determine if I'm above the poverty line?

Thanks in advance!

was the income included in line 12 derived in the US or abroad?

I-129F: Sent 9/5/2014
I-129F: Arrived at Lewisville 9/8/2014
I-129F: NOA1 Text message/mail 9/11/2014
I-129F: Alien Registration Number Changed 9/16/2014
I-129F: Request to correct on document or notice assigned to an officer for response 10/25/2014
I-129F: Name Change request made 10/31/2014
I-129F: NOA 2 Text message/mail 4/6/2015

I-129F: NOA 2 Hardcopy 4/9/2015

I-129F: Sent to NVC 4/13/2015

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Yep line 22, a lot of people are in your case I've seen recently on Facebook groups I'm in they work overseas and such . It would probably be easier just to get a co sponsor . No need to waist money changing it if a family member/friend is willing to sponsor .

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Fix the deductions so that enough income shows on line 22, or get a joint sponsor. Your personal income must meet the requirement, not business income.

~ Moved from K-1 Process to IR-1/CR-1 Process - topic is spousal visa process, not K-1 ~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.