tealeaf

How to send money to Vietnam?

24 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

i have used XOOM.com to send money for the last year with no problems at all to my family in Brazil. I send it to a bank account. The first time it took a few days but now it take a couple of hours. I find it reliable and very cost effective.

Filed: Timeline

My bank is Chase. Has anyone used Chase to send money to Vietnam. I checked their rates and they are over $30 for international wire transfers. I don't know if Chase has partnership with any banks in Vietnam for cheaper transfers.

Paypal's international transfer also has higher fees. Is it possible to set up 2 international accounts as family accounts and get cheap transfers? How much are the paypal fees for that?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I was looking at xoom.com but i saw way too many negative reviews. I don't think i wanna risk it with them.

Negative for the country or the site in general? I use them all the time. They are much cheaper then western union and they deposit into bank accounts immediately with no extra costs. It really is the cheapest fastest way I've found and no one I know has ever had a problem.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

Transferwise.com.

It's from the same guy who invented paypal and skype. I've used it a dozen times to send my French salary to the US. It's a great and cheap service. It basically finds someone who wants the other currency and exchanges it between you at the google/xe rate, and their fee is very small.

2012 July 1: Met in Switzerland <3

2014 Jan 23: Married in Cyprus!

2014 Feb 2: I-130 Packet Shipped

2014 Feb 19: NOA-1

2014 July 7: Email Notice of transfer to California Service Center

2014 July 16: Approved!!!!

2014 August 29: Sent AOS packet

2014 December 19: Sent IV packet

2015 March 25: Case complete at NVC (apparently it was forgotten, which is why it's >90 days)

2015 April 16: P4 email received, interview date assigned

2015 May 28: Interview date!! -- Visa Rejected, "missing" paperwork.

Wrong military papers. Not enough Intent to Return to the US. I cannot be financial sponsor because I am overseas.

2015 June 18: Mailed all missing documents.

2015 June 23: Consulate rec'd missing documents.

2015 June 25: Status moved to AP. But still lists status as "SEND DOCUMENTS". Emailed...

2015 Aug 6: Received Visa in mail

2015 Aug 18: Arrived in US

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I used Western Union to send money to my wife's parents. The cost is approximately $50 but it is very reliable and you can send the money in USD or VND. You are notified when the funds are picked up via text or email, if you want.

There are cheaper options with Vietnamese money transfer services in most areas as well.

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Wells Fargo is partnered with Vietcom bank. I don't think you need an account there(Vietcom). I just wire the money and can pick it up at any Vietcom bank location. Like I mentioned, you'll need to head into a branch in the states to set it up initially with your spouse as the beneficiary, but after that you can transfer online anytime easy peasy. I actually have to head to Vietcom today to pick up some cash.

• 1 year later...

Guys, I found this website ===> http://exchangerateiq.com to find out the best way to send money to Vietnam from USA.

Exchange Rate IQ is basically a comparison platform, so you can see live exchange rates for USD to VND from all money transfer services like Xoom, Western Union etc. on a single page.

You can compare the Fees, transfer time as well as methods to send and receive money and pick the best suitable option.

Check out ExchangeRate IQ before sending money next time and save on those exorbitant fees.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.