captainyeti

In what order should I have everything for my interview in?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Interview on the 21st and I want to have everything in perfect order so there aren't any complications or struggles to find certain things.

It's for a K1 visa just so you know what kind of stuff I'd need. I should have it all ready, I just want to get it all organized for my interview.

Thank yoooouuu

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I used a plastic Accordion folder......It had like 12 pouches.....I recall having my Passport and the interview letter at the very front, as u need them right away.....other than that, don't recall

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I still have my plastic accordion folder handy, here is what I did :

I left nothing to chance and brought everything I had from the beginning. I had stick on labels and labeled each pocket - 13 pockets in all with a large holder in front.

1 - The big 1 inch pocket in the front I kept photos, cards, receipts, and other evidence of bona fide marriage (was never asked for this)

2 - The next pocket (or slot) I labeled "P4 Letter / Loomis (self explanatory)

3 - I skipped a slot and labeled the next one "Passport Pics / Bio-Page (put all the passport pics into an envelope in here as well as copies of my passport bio-page)

4 - Skipped a slot, then labeled the next "Medical" (kept my vaccination info here, and the unopened envelope from Medysis)

5 - Next slot was "DS-260 confirmation page" (again I was not asked for this, but had read that some folks had been)

6 - Next was "Birth Certificates and Copies" (brought both my and my husband's certificates, and copies. Again, wasn't asked for but had read that some folks were asked)

7 - Next was "Marriage Certificate and copy" (was not asked for, but better safe than sorry)

8 - Next was "Divorce Certificates" (I brought both my and my husband's divorce papers - originals - which they DID ask for because he had been married twice before)

9 - Next was "Police Checks" (I brought both original and copies of my Canadian and German Police Checks (with translation) - they asked to see both originals)

10 - Last spot was "AOS - I-864EZ and IRS Transcripts" (they asked for these originals as well)

I had a big package of my military records which I carried separately, but they never asked for them. They just asked what my job was in the military. It turns out I had more that enough with me, but that is always better than not having enough. Hope this helps! Good luck!! :)

EDIT : Just noticed you are a K1 so most of this you won't even need - but you get the gist.

Edited by Dualie

ROC

01/18/2017   Sent in I-751

01/26/2017   Check cashed

01/28/2017   Received NOA dated 01/20/2017

02/16/2017   Biometrics done

10/24/2017   Traveled to Minneapolis for I551 stamp

02/26/2018     Case received by Field Office - S. Paul

05/012018     Case transferred to another USCIS office for processing 

N-400

02/02/2018    Filed N-400 online

02/05/2018    NOA online - NOA letter 02/09/2018

02/21/2018     Biometrics walk-in

when the NVC sends you confirmation of your interview (p4) you get a letter which states what you need....I would organize docs accordingly as this is usually the order in which they require the docs.

http://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Supplemental/MTL%20-%20Montreal.pdf

this was for ir1/cr1 visa, but if you did a bit of research, i know you will find the packet 4 instructions for the k1.

good luck!!

USCIS
30 Jan 2014 - Sent I-130
03 Feb 2014- NOA1

10 months of bologna, we cannot believe this, nor will you if you knew
02 Dec 2014- NOA2

NVC
30-Dec 2014 case received
10-Feb 2015 case and iin # assigned
10-Feb 2015 completed ds 261
11-Feb 2015 paid AOS fee
11-Feb 2015 welcome letter rec'd
15-Feb 2015 emailed AOS & IV package info
19-Feb 2015 paid IV fee
23-Feb 2015 submitted ds260
07-Apr 2015 CC :dancing:
26-May 2015. interview--approval

28-May 2015 noon visa in hand!!

POE-??

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

While we're on this topic, can I double check something some of those things on the list since you are all so helpful? My questions/notes in red. I have confusion with which of these things are needed for both petitioner and beneficiary and when it's just one of us

1. 2 color pictures - just mine, and not the petitioner's right? Does it have to be taken a month from the interview or doesn't matter?
2. Confirmation page of the online form CEAC DS-160
3. Statement of intent to marry from the U.S. petitioner (signed within last 30 days) - petitioner
4. Birth Certificate, English translation and a photocopy - both petitioner and beneficiary?
5. Marriage Certificate, English translation and a photocopy - this one confuses me... why would either one of us have a marriage certificate? like from a previous marriage?
6. Divorce Certificate, English translation and a photocopy - I'm not divorced. I'll bring my fiance's though. Did you guys check it off the P3 checklist even if it wasn't applicable to you, but the petitioner?
7. Custody documents, English translation and photocopy n/a
8. Police Certificates from Canada and other countries of previous residence - beneficiary only?
9. Court / Criminal records and photocopy - Is this something I need to go get? I've never been in court anyway, so leave it blank?
10. Military records and photocopy - Is this something I need to go get? I've never been in court anyway, so leave it blank?
11. Proof of Financial Support (Form I-134) and photocopy of supporting documents (IRS transcript or
photocopy of the most recent Federal income tax return, bank statements, employment pay slips,
etc.) - just the petitioner
12. Copy of the U.S. petitioner status in the USA - photocopy of the biographic data on his passport
p. Copies of documents proving petitioner’s U.S. domicile - rent lease (do I need original or just photocopy)
Thanks all! This process seems like it's easy but it's really not! I wish the embassy was more clear :)

While we're on this topic, can I double check something some of those things on the list since you are all so helpful? My questions/notes in red. I have confusion with which of these things are needed for both petitioner and beneficiary and when it's just one of us

1. 2 color pictures - just mine, and not the petitioner's right? Does it have to be taken a month from the interview or doesn't matter?
2. Confirmation page of the online form CEAC DS-160
3. Statement of intent to marry from the U.S. petitioner (signed within last 30 days) - petitioner
4. Birth Certificate, English translation and a photocopy - both petitioner and beneficiary?
5. Marriage Certificate, English translation and a photocopy - this one confuses me... why would either one of us have a marriage certificate? like from a previous marriage?
6. Divorce Certificate, English translation and a photocopy - I'm not divorced. I'll bring my fiance's though. Did you guys check it off the P3 checklist even if it wasn't applicable to you, but the petitioner?
7. Custody documents, English translation and photocopy n/a
8. Police Certificates from Canada and other countries of previous residence - beneficiary only?
9. Court / Criminal records and photocopy - Is this something I need to go get? I've never been in court anyway, so leave it blank?
10. Military records and photocopy - Is this something I need to go get? I've never been in court anyway, so leave it blank?
11. Proof of Financial Support (Form I-134) and photocopy of supporting documents (IRS transcript or
photocopy of the most recent Federal income tax return, bank statements, employment pay slips,
etc.) - just the petitioner
12. Copy of the U.S. petitioner status in the USA - photocopy of the biographic data on his passport
p. Copies of documents proving petitioner’s U.S. domicile - rent lease (do I need original or just photocopy)
Thanks all! This process seems like it's easy but it's really not! I wish the embassy was more clear :)

1) yes just you. This is your visa picture, make it accurate.

4) best to have both just in case

5) yes means any previous marriages

6) yes you will need the original divorce decree for the petitioner

8) beneficiary only

9) you only need this if you've been

10) see above

11)yes just petitioner

12) that works

13) a photocopy should work. Also driver's license.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

You're awesome, thank you!

she is...

and so are a bunch others.

this website is a godsend!!

USCIS
30 Jan 2014 - Sent I-130
03 Feb 2014- NOA1

10 months of bologna, we cannot believe this, nor will you if you knew
02 Dec 2014- NOA2

NVC
30-Dec 2014 case received
10-Feb 2015 case and iin # assigned
10-Feb 2015 completed ds 261
11-Feb 2015 paid AOS fee
11-Feb 2015 welcome letter rec'd
15-Feb 2015 emailed AOS & IV package info
19-Feb 2015 paid IV fee
23-Feb 2015 submitted ds260
07-Apr 2015 CC :dancing:
26-May 2015. interview--approval

28-May 2015 noon visa in hand!!

POE-??

You're awesome, thank you!

she is...

and so are a bunch others.

this website is a godsend!!

Awe thanks.

You're very welcome.

It was a godsend for me as well and still is. Darn ROC!!

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.