StarCatcher

Getting married

15 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi
I know this may not be the right place to post this and if not forgive me. But I have try to find out more information about getting married overseas In India with my fiance.
He is from New Delhi and I am from the United States. I believe we have all of our paperwork in order and we are trying to get married on May 9th. But I heard that we needed a objection letter? That I would need to make appointment with the US Embassy and get something notarize?? My question is, is there a link to make appointment or is this something I need to worry about before we get married?? I know after we are married we have to register with the courts and give them the information to get it register..

I also know after we get married we will start the process and start doing the paperwork of getting him and his daughter over to America.. We are in Love and are very Happy but I wanted all the paperwork an order so I know we are doing it the correct way.. Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thank you so much.

Paperwork for what?

What has said you need an "objection" letter to get married?

You just need a marriage licence.

(I do know some countries need more)

You've posted this in the fiance visa forum which wouldn't be an option if you got married now.

The k1 can take up to 10 months.

Once you are married you can go down the Cr-1 route which is a spousal visa.

The CR-1 can take up to a year.

Edited by Cody and Daisy

My Name is Daisy, I am British, I say things bluntly and to the point.
London K1, A complete guide -- >http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/474161-london-k1-a-complete-guide/
I am Daisy the Beneficiary, These are my views!
U.K. k1 visa, approved 2014.

NOA1: 20/03/2014

NOA2: 11/04/2014 (22 days)

Interview: 09/07/2014 (111 days)

D.O.E 29/07/2014

Married 29/08/2014

AOS from K1/K3 Guide -->http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

AOS/EAD/AP Sent: 12/11/2014

Delivered at Chicago LB:15/11/2014

NOA1 (all 3): 17/11/2014

NOA1 (all 3) hardcopy: 24/11/2014(Notice date 20th)

Bio-metrics App letter: 28/11/2014(Notice date 21st)

Bio-metrics App Cleveland Ohio: 10/12/2014

EAD/AP:Approved/production 31/01/2015(update 2/2/1015) (80 days)

Combo Card: Mailed 5/2/2015

Combo Card: Delivered 6/2/2015AP

NOA: Approval Notice received 7/2/2015

Interview waiver letter: received 23/2/15 dated: 18/2/2015

Green Card: APPROVED 31/07/2015

(Remember, all my dates are British layout.. the proper layout!)

Timeline

Yeah I need *objection letter* stating it is okay for us to get married In India. Its okay and Thank you I believe I got it figured out.. I need to make appt with the Us Embassy in New Delhi and get the objection letter notarize so I will be making appt soon and Then after we are married I will have to start down that road to get him and his daughter over here in America.. So we will be joining the other people that are going through this..

Thank you so much for your information.. I am sure I will be posting more to get more information when it comes time to process the paperwork in order for him to come to America.. :dancing:

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K1 Process to India Regional Forum~

~Inquiry is country-specific, not K1-related~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Hi

I know this may not be the right place to post this and if not forgive me. But I have try to find out more information about getting married overseas In India with my fiance.

He is from New Delhi and I am from the United States. I believe we have all of our paperwork in order and we are trying to get married on May 9th. But I heard that we needed a objection letter? That I would need to make appointment with the US Embassy and get something notarize?? My question is, is there a link to make appointment or is this something I need to worry about before we get married?? I know after we are married we have to register with the courts and give them the information to get it register..

I also know after we get married we will start the process and start doing the paperwork of getting him and his daughter over to America.. We are in Love and are very Happy but I wanted all the paperwork an order so I know we are doing it the correct way.. Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thank you so much.

This is how it worked for my wife and me.

Me, USC, married my wife outside of New Delhi.

My fiance's family had submitted copies of my dad and my picture IDs and a utility bill as proof of US address, alongwith her and her dad's IDs and address proof to hold a spot at the venue. Following the wedding, we received a marriage certificate issued by the officiant. With the marriage certificate in hand, we hired a local advocate (lawyer) to get our marriage registered with the local municipality where our marriage took place.

But we ran into a roadblock. They wanted my Naturalization Certificate, which I did not have with me. Apparently a US Passport is insufficient to prove US domicile. Long story short, being a foreigner marrying an Indian citizen, I was asked to get a No Objection certificate from the foreign embassy. So I made an online appointment with the embassy's American Citizen Services for 3 days later. Went to the embassy, paid $50 for basically a worthless document notarized by a US counsel that was basically my affirmation of where I lived and that I was free to marry, alongwith another generic paper saying the embassy takes no responsibility for my statements.

We drove back with the crisp, newly embossed document.. and got or marriage registration document the next day. Good luck :)

To make an appointment: http://newdelhi.usembassy.gov/service/other-citizen-services/notary-services.html

No objection doc: http://photos.state.gov/libraries/india/482942/malikg/Affidavit%20-%20Marriage_001.pdf

Edited by Kiran n Suds

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

Timeline

Thank you so much for your input!! I was thinking about doing it before we got married so there was no issues. But it does not seem to matter if we do it before or after we get married.. Have you started the process of getting your love to the United States?? Did you start doing the paper work in India??

Certainly helps to be prepared before you guys get married. However, marriage registration rules and regulations in India vary state to state. It is remotely possible you could get away without needing the NoC, and possibly save the $50. Have your fiance check local regulations. Regardless, do not forget to register the marriage; and carry a copy of the govt-issued official registration certificate back to the US with you.

In the interest of time, I recommend bringing your new-husband's signed G325A form (can be filled in later), their recent photos, copies of their passports and birth certificates. It'll make life easy for you, and save mailing back and forth as you prepare to file their Petitions.

As for my wife and me, we wanted to do everything the right and legal way, and it was only after she and I were legally and religiously married that we started any paperwork; I began after my return to the US. We are about mid-way through the process of her joining me.

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

Timeline

In the interest of time, I recommend bringing your new-husband's signed G325A form (can be filled in later), their recent photos, copies of their passports and birth certificates. It'll make life easy for you, and save mailing back and forth as you prepare to file their Petitions.

Thank you so much. Can you tell me where to obtain this form so I can take it to India with me ???
May I add you as a friend on here?? Or if you have facebook?
We also have decided that we would wait to do any paperwork until we were married but it does not hurt to get things ready either.. The sooner he is here the better for all of us..

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

But we ran into a roadblock. They wanted my Naturalization Certificate, which I did not have with me. Apparently a US Passport is insufficient to prove US domicile. Long story short, being a foreigner marrying an Indian citizen, I was asked to get a No Objection certificate from the foreign embassy. So I made an online appointment with the embassy's American Citizen Services for 3 days later. Went to the embassy, paid $50 for basically a worthless document notarized by a US counsel that was basically my affirmation of where I lived and that I was free to marry, alongwith another generic paper saying the embassy takes no responsibility for my statements.

I am a US citizen expat living in the UAE. My husband is living in Guwahati, Assam. We had a temple ceremony but in order for him to come to the UAE we need to register our marriage at the municipality in Guwahati under the Special Marriage Act. Since we are not Muslim or Christian there is no way he could come here on a visit visa and marry here - there is no court marriage in the UAE. Since I am not an Indian citizen we cannot get married at the Hindu temple in Dubai.

My husband has said the municipality only needs my passport, the affidavit which I need to sign at the US Embassy, and my divorce judgment since I was previously married. I guess the additional ID requirement is only for naturalized USCs?

Also I am planning on getting the affidavit at the US Embassy in Abu Dhabi rather than getting it in India since I do not have time to make a separate trip to Delhi before going to Guwahati. I would assume I could get the affidavit from any US Embassy and this would be fine since I am a UAE resident but can't seem to get a straight answer, wondering if anyone has had a similar issue.

Edited by green_parrot

Many find it convenient to hire a local lawyer\advocate versed in municipal regulations. Their rates are usually nominal, but more importantly, save you from a lot of runaround dealing with the labyrinth maze of Indian bureaucracy.

I do not have an answer to your query. I suggest checking if your nearest US embassy-issued affidavit is universally valid; i.e. recognized in another country. Additionally, you can have your husband check with a local lawyer affiliated with the Guwahati municipality that handles marriage registrations. Indian officials can be quite fickle about these things.. on a bad day.

USCIS

NVC

Consular

POE

• 1 month later...
Timeline

I got the objection letter which cost $50 at the US embassy in New Delhi. We got married in May I am back home now trying to fill our paperwork to get him and his daughter over here. While I was there he try to find out even went to a lawyer to see if we needed to register the marriage with the Government and he was told since we were Christians the marriage had already been register and we did not have to worry about it.. I did not even have to use the Objection letter what so ever so go figure.. Thanks for all your input.. :D

Timeline

Hi

i get married this year with my love from united state of america you just have to worried about your visa after marriage you can worried

Timeline

i get married this year with my love from united state of america you just have to worried about your visa after marriage you can worried

There is a lot to worry about.. So much paperwork and being away from the one you love unless you are lucky enough to be able to stay with them until the process is done..

I got the objection letter which cost $50 at the US embassy in New Delhi. We got married in May I am back home now trying to fill our paperwork to get him and his daughter over here. While I was there he try to find out even went to a lawyer to see if we needed to register the marriage with the Government and he was told since we were Christians the marriage had already been register and we did not have to worry about it.. I did not even have to use the Objection letter what so ever so go figure.. Thanks for all your input.. :D

Congrats !!

USCIS

NVC

Consular

POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.