saymoon2013

Interview... will my husband win?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi everyone. I've been reading om this website for months now and it's been very helpful. This is my first topic on this forum. I have an inquiry about the diversi g visa interview. When my husband applied for the Diversity visa, we were technically not married yet because of our islamic religion. We were married on paper but not married married. Lol. When my husband applied for the Diversity visa. He said he doesn't rememebr reading anything about a spouse so he didn't add me. Our paper marriage was for example on September 29 and he applied for the visa on October 15 and we were married on November 6. I am a united states citizen so I don't need the visa. He forgot all about aplliying for the visa. When we recieved the reply on may about if he won the lottery, Turns out he was a selectee. When I checked his ds-260 to fill out the application, his name was written as the principal applicant and there was another box under it where it had spouse in it with his name also written there. When I did the ds-260 with him. I changed the spouse name to my name. Now I'm worried if he is still eligible to recieve a visa or not. Now hs has an intervoew date in cairo this month. He had everything that is written on the Diversity visa instructions site and also a wedding invitation of ours and the hall receipt. What do you guys think is going to happen. I'm so worried about the situation. Sometimes I think there is hope for him to recieve it and sometimes I just feel hopeless.

Why are you even worried??? As a US citizen you can sponsor your husband for a Green Card with very little difficulty. You would then leave the DV visa slot for another applicant!

DV Lottery information - www.BritSimonSays.com

Filed: Timeline

Hi everyone. I've been reading om this website for months now and it's been very helpful. This is my first topic on this forum. I have an inquiry about the diversi g visa interview. When my husband applied for the Diversity visa, we were technically not married yet because of our islamic religion. We were married on paper but not married married. Lol. When my husband applied for the Diversity visa. He said he doesn't rememebr reading anything about a spouse so he didn't add me. Our paper marriage was for example on September 29 and he applied for the visa on October 15 and we were married on November 6. I am a united states citizen so I don't need the visa. He forgot all about aplliying for the visa. When we recieved the reply on may about if he won the lottery, Turns out he was a selectee. When I checked his ds-260 to fill out the application, his name was written as the principal applicant and there was another box under it where it had spouse in it with his name also written there. When I did the ds-260 with him. I changed the spouse name to my name. Now I'm worried if he is still eligible to recieve a visa or not. Now hs has an intervoew date in cairo this month. He had everything that is written on the Diversity visa instructions site and also a wedding invitation of ours and the hall receipt. What do you guys think is going to happen. I'm so worried about the situation. Sometimes I think there is hope for him to recieve it and sometimes I just feel hopeless.

I second Britsimons response. Also your lack of knowledge is a little scary!

Filed: Other Country: Egypt
Timeline

Why are you even worried??? As a US citizen you can sponsor your husband for a Green Card with very little difficulty. You would then leave the DV visa slot for another applicant!

I know that it's easy to have my husband here in the states by filling the spouse visa, in fact I did file it. The thing is my hustand is from yemen and currently there is a war there. Every person I know who filed a spouse visa in yemen took at least four years for their spouses to enter the states. The diversity visa is faster. I'm a college student who's under so much stress and having my husband in an unstable country is just another stressor by itself.

I second Britsimons response. Also your lack of knowledge is a little scary!

lol..... should I feel insulted?

?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Are you referring to an Orfi marriage? Meaning, like a paper marriage but not ordained by the state or even some sheikh or imam? If you go the Cr1 visa route, it's going to take at least a year and a half. I have a feeling that they might think its strange he applied for a DV when he's already married. They might wonder why you didnt make your marriage official and apply for the CR1 or instead the fiance visa.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

On the rules of DV entry it says this regarding spouses: " Failure to list your eligible spouse will result in disqualification of the principal applicant and refusal of all visas in the case at the time of the visa interview. You must list your spouse even if you plan to be divorced before you apply for a visa. A spouse who is already a U.S. citizen or a Lawful Permanent Resident will not require or be issued a DV visa, though you will not be penalized if you list them on your entry form." Source: http://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Diversity-Visa/DV-Instructions-Translations/DV-2016-Instructions-Translations/DV_2016_Instructions_English.pdf Section 13

Someone else take a look at this with me please but it looks like not listing the spouse is only an instant game over if they aren't a US citizen, keyword in first sentence being "eligible" for a visa. So you were good there since you are USC. I also think it was good that you made the correction on the DS260 naming you as spouse. Cairo Embassy is aware of Islamic culture so your husband should be able to address that you had only completed the first step of marriage when he entered the DV.

Not sure why the responses on this thread were so unpleasant...K1 or CR1 from Egypt/Yemen isn't as "easy" as people claim. Best wishes to your husband at his interview!

Edited by IslAmy

Petitioner: U.S. Citizen living in U.S. Beneficiary: Egyptian Citizen living in Egypt Seychelles United States!

Visa type: CR-1

01-06-14 Married

03-21-14 Priority Date (Nebraska Service Center)

03-25-14 NOA1

08-26-14 Approved! 5 months, 5 days

09-04-14 shipped to NVC per USCIS website

10-09-14 NVC "received"

10-28-14 Case #

10-30-14 DS261/AOS fee

12-02-14 IV fee

12-03-14 Sent Package

01-30-15 Case Complete! 5 months at NVC with no checklists

03-25-15 Received Interview Letter, date is 05/14/15

05-14-15 Interview Result: APPROVED!

06-08-15 25 days later...CEAC finally shows READY

06-11-15 Visa in Hand

06-15-15 POE in Philadelphia

Total Time from Sending Petition to Visa in Hand: 14 months, 3 weeks

Currently in I-751 ROC and N-400 Citizenship processes.  See Timeline for Details.

On the rules of DV entry it says this regarding spouses: " Failure to list your eligible spouse will result in disqualification of the principal applicant and refusal of all visas in the case at the time of the visa interview. You must list your spouse even if you plan to be divorced before you apply for a visa. A spouse who is already a U.S. citizen or a Lawful Permanent Resident will not require or be issued a DV visa, though you will not be penalized if you list them on your entry form." Source: http://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Diversity-Visa/DV-Instructions-Translations/DV-2016-Instructions-Translations/DV_2016_Instructions_English.pdf Section 13

Someone else take a look at this with me please but it looks like not listing the spouse is only an instant game over if they aren't a US citizen, keyword in first sentence being "eligible" for a visa. So you were good there since you are USC. I also think it was good that you made the correction on the DS260 naming you as spouse. Cairo Embassy is aware of Islamic culture so your husband should be able to address that you had only completed the first step of marriage when he entered the DV.

Not sure why the responses on this thread were so unpleasant...K1 or CR1 from Egypt/Yemen isn't as "easy" as people claim. Best wishes to your husband at his interview!

Indeed, you don't need to list a spouse (or any dependents) if they are US citizens, and won't be penalized if you do or if you don't . I can't see this fact as being an issue for the visa.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.