canadagirl89

NVC didn't get my documents electronically, now going to take another 2 months to process

15 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My Story in a nutshell

"Husband American, I'm Canadian.

Married in Nova Scotia 2011. Canadian work permit never came after 2 years. Decided to turn the tables in 2013. Gave birth to 2nd son in Aug 2013 and wasn't working, due to lack of money I sent my kids to live with in laws to find a job in April 2014. Found a job but didn't pay enough to keep kids with me, kids currently live with in laws in US. Husband works 60 hours a week and lives in a different state as kids, he can't take them due to his work schedule. Kids have been living apart from both of us for 1 year and counting.
Nov 2013 - Submitted Visa Application with help of Immigration Counselor.
July 2014 - Photos were incorrect and needed to be resubmitted.
Nov 2014 - USCIS Approval
Dec 2014 - NVC case number given.
Jan 2015 - Found out my Immigration counselor was slacking off so I took matters into my own hands. Took counselor off our case
Jan 30 2015 - Submitted NVC Application
Feb 5 2015- Expedition request sent to Embassy stating our situation and duration. Request Denied.
Feb 6 2015- Emailed all supporting Documentation to NVC
March 20, 2015 - Sent expedition request in again due to severe depression brought on by whole process with supporting documentation from therapist and doctors. Request got denied.
April 8, 2015 - Call to find status of Application as it has now been 60 days since submitted, they tell me they never received my documents. Lady says I have to resubmit them and it will take up to another 75 days to review them.

Let's just say it's a miracle I haven't lost hope in humanity yet."

i sent in my documents electronically to the NVC on Feb 6 as a zip file since I had so many attachments they wouldn't fit in one email. I also called a week later to see if they have received it but the lady on the phone said that she wouldn't be able to see anything on my file regarding my application or documents until 60 days was over.

I had 2 expedition requests submitted between Feb and April so I called the NVC at least 4 times, in those times, no one told me they hadn't received my documents. So when I called today the lady said they weren't there. I told her I sent them, she said they didn't have them, and then I asked if I sent them again today when I would know if they had received them. She said it would take a couple weeks to show up and another 75 days to review, so I told her that the other lady said it would take 60 days for ANYTHING to show up on my file.

I almost swore at her I was so angry. So because of their mistake, I now have to wait another 2 freaking months for my documents to get reviewed? I got her supervisor's name and am going to call tomorrow morning to see if they can help me. I'm not expecting any help but does anyone have any suggestions or tips or anything?

Embassy I will be going through is Montreal.

Edited by canadagirl89

June 16th: IR-1 Interview in Montreal. Approved

June 16th: Case Status as "Ready"

June 25th: Case Status as "Ready"

June 30th: Case Status as "Ready"

July 1st: Case Status as "Ready"

July 2nd: Case Status as "ISSUED"

July 8th: Waybill # received

July 9th: Visa pickup

July 9th: POE

Montreal is a US consulate not an embassy.

Expedites are normally granted because the USC has an issue, not the beneficiary unless they're in an active warzone or natural disaster area. Your husband would have to prove that he is suffering financially or otherwise because you are not there.

I suggest mailing the copies of the documents (you do not have to mail originals of civil documents anymore) vs EP if they have indeed lost everything because that's taking a shorter period of time than EP. If they don't have the AOS either then you'd have mail the original I-864 to mail.

Edited by NLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

NLR, that's a good idea. I will mail the copies of the documents as well, still pissed that I have to wait an extra 2 months though. Especially since my case has been dragging on for such a long time due to my "counselor's" part.

Edited by canadagirl89

I bet that is more than annoying!!! I can't blame you for being upset that your EP docs were never received.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Another question NLR, my husband does struggle financially because we are living in 3 different places. Kids with in laws and me in Canada and my husband by himself. He makes just above the poverty line but if he wanted to submit an expedition request for financial struggle, would that not contradict sponsoring me? Since you are supposed to make enough to support the family etc etc?

Also, he would have to have supporting documentation for whichever reason he chooses to send yeah?

As long as he is making above the poverty guidelines he can say it is a financial struggle due to everyone being separated. He could even go so far to say it's hard on the children not being able to live with either parent either, especially during formative years.

Timeline

As long as he is making above the poverty guidelines he can say it is a financial struggle due to everyone being separated. He could even go so far to say it's hard on the children not being able to live with either parent either, especially during formative years.

Excellent. Cause we are definitely struggling like crazy and the poor guy is having difficulty focusing on his job because this has been going on for so long.

My question is, what supporting documentation would he need to prove all of this to them?

If he sends money to your in laws for the children's care then provide proof of that; money to you for your needs, plus the cost of his living expenses as well and the fact that making ends meet providing for 4 people in 3 different spots, even with help. I'm not sure if there is more you can add to that or not or if will be be approved by the time they review you documentation.

Timeline

If he sends money to your in laws for the children's care then provide proof of that; money to you for your needs, plus the cost of his living expenses as well and the fact that making ends meet providing for 4 people in 3 different spots, even with help. I'm not sure if there is more you can add to that or not or if will be be approved by the time they review you documentation.

Ok thanks!

Montreal is super quick to review expedition requests. They have responded to mine within 2 weeks so we would find out really quick if he were to submit it.

They probably won't approve it but whateves, worth a try I guess right?

I saw your post and wanted to type in myself. I also have a filing date of Nov. 2013 for my I-130 and I am still "fighting" to pass thru this nightmare of a process to get my husband his green-card. I fully agree with you, this process wrecks havoc on ones life. Just like you time seems to be eaten by the processing times. My I-130 sat at the USCIS for 9 months before I received an approved notice and my file passed to the NVC. Now I'm dealing with the same, the notice that the NVC will take at least 60 plus days to review documents received. I had just sent something to them in January, as I got the dreaded request for more evidence, I waited 65 days for a review of those only to be told to fix something and send it again. Thus another 60 plus days to wait has been added. This puts me into the summer. Soon I will surpass the two year mark since I filed my I-130.

So like you, I'm totally frustrated beyond words.

Edited by BuckeyeGirl2013

Timeline

I saw your post and wanted to type in myself. I also have a filing date of Nov. 2013 for my I-130 and I am still "fighting" to pass thru this nightmare of a process to get my husband his green-card. I fully agree with you, this process wrecks havoc on ones life. Just like you time seems to be eaten by the processing times. My I-130 sat at the USCIS for 9 months before I received an approved notice and my file passed to the NVC. Now I'm dealing with the same, the notice that the NVC will take at least 60 plus days to review documents received. I had just sent something to them in January, as I got the dreaded request for more evidence, I waited 65 days for a review of those only to be told to fix something and send it again. Thus another 60 plus days to wait has been added. This puts me into the summer. Soon I will surpass the two year mark since I filed my I-130.

So like you, I'm totally frustrated beyond words.

Buckeyegirl, is your husband able to live with you during this process or are you separated?

Geez they haven't even gotten to my documents yet, there is still a chance I will have to resubmit papers too which would probably bring the process into next year!!!

I really hope they get to your paperwork soon. When I called in last week they said the wait time now is 75 days instead of 60. I asked her why they hadn't notified me beforehand of this change, she didn't give me an answer.

Solidarity. Waiting is the worst.

We were already living abroad as a family when we filed and have thus remained while this process is going on. However, each year that passes it gets harder as we have to take into consideration our child who attends school. Since the school year is ending soon it puts us in the rough spot of picking to remain together abroad for another school year.... or break the family apart by leaving the husband behind. But with the crazy wait periods for reviews one can see how it eats up the months. I just got my notice this week, another 60 plus day review period added to my time for documents they wanted resubmitted.

Personally, I'm starting to feel like the review days are dished out based upon the mood of the day at the NVC. I clearly wait 60 plus days each time, someone in another thread claims they were recently told 45 days, now you mention 75 days. Not sure how anyone can make any plans under these conditions.

Buckeyegirl, is your husband able to live with you during this process or are you separated?

Geez they haven't even gotten to my documents yet, there is still a chance I will have to resubmit papers too which would probably bring the process into next year!!!

I really hope they get to your paperwork soon. When I called in last week they said the wait time now is 75 days instead of 60. I asked her why they hadn't notified me beforehand of this change, she didn't give me an answer.

Solidarity. Waiting is the worst.

Timeline

You're better of sticking together and just living your life as if it will take forever, literally.

My family had to separate because I didn't have any support at all from my family members to help me with my 2 children, so I had to send them to live with my in laws in the states. So I've been separated from my children for a year now, and been separated from my husband for 2 years.

Yeah the NVC really does not have their together. I spoke to a supervisor last week and even she contradicted something her employee told me the day before that. They are clearly not all on the same page.

At least you're all together!!! Be thankful for that.

If I don't have our interview date by the summer, we are seriously considering moving to the border, so husband would work in Michigan and I would take care our kids in Windsor, at least that way my husband can drive over and see the kids on the weekends as opposed to right now when he only gets to see them once a month and I never get to see them. Argh.

I agree with the motto of live your life as if it will take forever, because it really does take forever.

If they were processing reviews in a more reasonable time frame we wouldn't have to be so stressed out. But sadly, the current review times put us into the summer, basically right on top of a new school year. And we've come to such a critical point in our child's education, graduating next year. Not sure it would be fair to uproot our child after the new school year starts.

You're better of sticking together and just living your life as if it will take forever, literally.

My family had to separate because I didn't have any support at all from my family members to help me with my 2 children, so I had to send them to live with my in laws in the states. So I've been separated from my children for a year now, and been separated from my husband for 2 years.

Yeah the NVC really does not have their ###### together. I spoke to a supervisor last week and even she contradicted something her employee told me the day before that. They are clearly not all on the same page.

If I don't have our interview date by the summer, we are seriously considering moving to the border, so husband would work in Michigan and I would take care our kids in Windsor, at least that way my husband can drive over and see the kids on the weekends as opposed to right now when he only gets to see them once a month and I never get to see them. Argh.

I think you'd be wise to really consider moving everyone closer to the border to make visits easier. You've been at this basically as long as me. I'm sure it's become a major stress issue for everyone in your family too.

Yeah the NVC really does not have their ###### together. I spoke to a supervisor last week and even she contradicted something her employee told me the day before that. They are clearly not all on the same page.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.