Kosmoleo

Elderly Grandmother

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello everyone

I am preparing to bring my fiance to the US from Thailand so we can get married. One of our concerns is my elderly grandmother, she lives in a nursing home and suffers from growing dementia. We don't know how much time she has left but if possible we very much want her to have the chance to be at our wedding.

For this reason we are trying to get our I-129f petition and K1 visa process going asap and we are wondering what kind of papers or evidence we can provide to the USCIS and the Thai US consulate about the fragility of my grandmother's condition. Any helpful experience or ides would be greatly appreciated.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Let's try again as I completely misread the situation.

You want to get an expedite based on your a grandmother's medical condition.

So you need to evidence both her medical condition and her relationship with you Fiancee, and why it will be beneficial to her medical condition, was she helping with her care?

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I just heard today that if your petition is received between mid-March and April, it will be sent to California and that the center in California moves very quickly :)

I sent mine a few weeks ago, and even though I live in Florida and it should normally go to Texas (the slow place), it was sent to California.

Did you already send the petition package? If not, do it now. It takes about a week to get all the stuff together that you need to send. Make sure you don't forget anything. Look at the checklist that this site provides and use the templates. Watch Youtube videos on how to fill out the forms properly. Make sure you have 2 letters of intent to marry- one for you with your signature, one from your fiance with their REAL signature. I filled out all the forms for my fiance, then I saved them and emailed them to him. He printed them and signed them in blue ink, and DHL express shipped me all his stuff. Then I added it with mine, and I made 2 copies of everything and then sent it off.

You need 2 types of evidence (and many examples of each type.)
Type 1- Evidence that you met in person.

Type 2- Evidence of an ongoing relationship.

So for type 1 you should include a bunch of flight confirmations, boarding passes, photos (5-12) of you in person together, things of that nature.
For tpye 2 you should include copies of emails, text messages, facebook messages, copies of letters and envelopes you may have sent in the mail, and any possible receipts of rings you bought for each other or any wedding plans you made.

Just include like 4-6 copies of each of those things and you're good. Don't forget to do the forms as well. If you run out of space on the forms, add your own page, sign, and date it.

The government can't do anything to express your petition, because like you, there are tons of other people trying to get this done ASAP as well. All you can do it send it ASAP and include EVERYthing you can.

Edited by laurainr

Well it's not that it would really be beneficial to her condition, just that we don't know how much time she has and we would like to have the chance to have her be at our wedding if we can. And we are not really trying to get an expedite, just want to make this argument as part of our whole petition is all.

As for evidence of her condition I don't really know what that could be. That's why I am asking, does anyone know what kind of papers or supporting evidence we could get to present with our petition...?

Edited by Kosmoleo

I don't believe anything you do will quicken your process at CSC.

It should go relatively fast for you anyway.

Expedites can use medical emergencies, but having a sick grandparent I'm afraid won't cut it.

The medical reason has to impact you or your fiancée directly and this does not.

Nothing you add about your grandmother will make this go faster.

The best you can do is be prepared for every next step you make.

So as soon as one is done you can move quickly into the next.

Edit- I just want to add that I completely understand.

My husbands grandma actually died the day after our wedding on the journey home.

She had terminal cancer and we believe literally held on until then.

She wasn't even able to come to the courthouse and just spent the weekend she was with us in our bed.

So I understand why you wish you could speed up the process and I'm sorry you can't.

Edited by Cody and Daisy

My Name is Daisy, I am British, I say things bluntly and to the point.
London K1, A complete guide -- >http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/474161-london-k1-a-complete-guide/
I am Daisy the Beneficiary, These are my views!
U.K. k1 visa, approved 2014.

NOA1: 20/03/2014

NOA2: 11/04/2014 (22 days)

Interview: 09/07/2014 (111 days)

D.O.E 29/07/2014

Married 29/08/2014

AOS from K1/K3 Guide -->http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

AOS/EAD/AP Sent: 12/11/2014

Delivered at Chicago LB:15/11/2014

NOA1 (all 3): 17/11/2014

NOA1 (all 3) hardcopy: 24/11/2014(Notice date 20th)

Bio-metrics App letter: 28/11/2014(Notice date 21st)

Bio-metrics App Cleveland Ohio: 10/12/2014

EAD/AP:Approved/production 31/01/2015(update 2/2/1015) (80 days)

Combo Card: Mailed 5/2/2015

Combo Card: Delivered 6/2/2015AP

NOA: Approval Notice received 7/2/2015

Interview waiver letter: received 23/2/15 dated: 18/2/2015

Green Card: APPROVED 31/07/2015

(Remember, all my dates are British layout.. the proper layout!)

Thanks everyone for the helpful input. Again we are not necessarily trying to get them to act faster, just want to include include this as part of our petition. So does anyone have ideas on what kind of evidence we could submit to prove my grandmother's condition and demonstrate it as part of case for wanting my fiance to come to the US...?

Thanks everyone for the helpful input. Again we are not necessarily trying to get them to act faster, just want to include include this as part of our petition. So does anyone have ideas on what kind of evidence we could submit to prove my grandmother's condition and demonstrate it as part of case for wanting my fiance to come to the US...?

Nothing you submit will help your case.

You could submit medical notes from her doctor stating her condition.

But this won't help your petition, it won't not help it either but it's a waste of time unless you expedite which you can't do.

My Name is Daisy, I am British, I say things bluntly and to the point.
London K1, A complete guide -- >http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/474161-london-k1-a-complete-guide/
I am Daisy the Beneficiary, These are my views!
U.K. k1 visa, approved 2014.

NOA1: 20/03/2014

NOA2: 11/04/2014 (22 days)

Interview: 09/07/2014 (111 days)

D.O.E 29/07/2014

Married 29/08/2014

AOS from K1/K3 Guide -->http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

AOS/EAD/AP Sent: 12/11/2014

Delivered at Chicago LB:15/11/2014

NOA1 (all 3): 17/11/2014

NOA1 (all 3) hardcopy: 24/11/2014(Notice date 20th)

Bio-metrics App letter: 28/11/2014(Notice date 21st)

Bio-metrics App Cleveland Ohio: 10/12/2014

EAD/AP:Approved/production 31/01/2015(update 2/2/1015) (80 days)

Combo Card: Mailed 5/2/2015

Combo Card: Delivered 6/2/2015AP

NOA: Approval Notice received 7/2/2015

Interview waiver letter: received 23/2/15 dated: 18/2/2015

Green Card: APPROVED 31/07/2015

(Remember, all my dates are British layout.. the proper layout!)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Nothing you submit will help your case.

You could submit medical notes from her doctor stating her condition.

But this won't help your petition, it won't not help it either but it's a waste of time unless you expedite which you can't do.

Simply not relevant to a K1.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.