britlady70

Advice desperately needed !

59 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My situation is very complicated and I have no idea where to turn to right now, I am just hoping someone on here can help me.

I am a UK citizen born and raised there. I married my US husband 3 years ago and I have been in the USA ever since. I originally entered the US on ESTA visa waiver that my airline said I had to apply for. But that is all I have obtained and that expired after my first year here. My original intentions was to come here and marry and we were going to go back to England together. My husband is in love with England and it is his dream to go there. We planned on returning before my waiver had expired, but one thing lead to another and mostly financial reasons prevented us from being able to apply for UK citizenship for my husband. I have two UK citizen sons also, who are both here with me and are attending US schools. I entered the country legally and married my husband with the intentions of us all returning to the UK. We both were involved in a car accident that took up all our savings on medical expenses and new vehicle. My husbands health was greatly effected too. My husband is a preacher and the money he earns is sporadic and sometimes none at all. He is desperately looking for secular work so he can support us and so we can make some permanent status changes one way or the other but so far he is having no luck. It has got to the point that now I have to make a decision to return on my own steam to the UK with my kids because it has become impossible for us to stay here on the little money my husband earns. and I am scared about our legal status also. I recently discovered that if I contact the UK embassy they may help me with the cost of travel back home. But I am scared to do that in case I will not be allowed to return if my husband cannot come to England either. The immigration process in the UK seems much harder than the US. I could return to England and return to work and save enough money for the immigration costs etc. I am so worried our family will be split up because of this. I had no idea everything would be so complicated and expensive marrying someone from a different country. I am going to make my situation worse by returning or will it go in my favour? I have a place to stay with friends. But I cannot afford my air fare yet. I am willing to leave ASAP if needed. I have no problem with that, I just don't want my family being split up permanently and we just don't have the finances to return. Also will I run into any trouble on connecting flights from my local airport to the international airport? I would hate for my children to experience any trauma with security there.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to AOS from Work, Student and Tourist Visas, from IR1/CR1 as the Op is already in the US and her plans changed.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

If you leave now you will have a 10 year ban, waiverable.

Neither you or your children will be able to use the VWP again and getting a B Visa could be challenging.

I would have thought a Preacher would be in a very good position to find a co sponsor so you can stay and adjust.

I presume you have looked at the financial requirements for him to immigrate to the UK. If you have good earning potential then that could be the way to go.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

If I were to return to the US, I would not come on a visa waiver program so that is fine. Are you absolutely sure about the10 year ban? And no we cannot get a co sponsor at all right now, not for lack of trying. So is it possible to stay and adjust? I was under the impression from other forums it is better to leave and re apply from home instead of run the risk of a 10 year ban staying here. So much conflicting advice and I cannot afford an immigration lawyer! Very frustrating.

Timeline

As soon as you leave the ban kicks in, sounds like you have it back to front.

If you want to stay then either he gets a job that meets the income requirements or a co sponsor

Find it odd that in his trade he can not find one.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Boiler is correct, the ban is placed on you when you leave the country, so if you do leave, you won't be allowed back for 10 years without a waiver. AOS is likely preferable - I don't know what the UK rules are, I somehow think they are tougher - but your spouse will either have to get a job that covers all of you or get a sponsor.

Post on Adjudicators's Field Manual re: AOS and Intent: My link
Wedding Date: 06/14/2009
POE at Pearson Airport - for a visit, did not intend to stay - 10/09/2009
Found VisaJourney and created an account - 10/19/2009

I-130 (approved as part of the CR-1 process):
Sent 10/01/2009
NOA1 10/07/2009
NOA2 02/10/2010

AOS:
NOA 05/14/2010
Interview - approved! 07/29/10 need to send in completed I-693 (doctor missed answering a couple of questions) - sent back same day
Green card received 08/20/10

ROC:
Sent 06/01/2012
Approved 02/27/2013

Green card received 05/08/2013

Timeline

UK income requirements are higher, and co sponsors are not allowed.

Here's the thing: If you leave with your children and return to the UK you've entered a rather impossible predicament that the current UK immigration law places you and your family in.

Even if you go back and manage to find employment immediately (of which I have to tell you current climate would say you might not be able to), you would have to be working above the required wage and for a period of time (6 months) under the law. For one spouse to immigrate (provided your children ARE British citizens already) you must be earning £18,600 per year.

For savings you must have £62,500. These holdings must be banked for a certain amount of time.

And I have to tell you, there have been more instances of UK individuals just managing to meet those means and still being rejected. It is a painful process, especially when it ends up being all for nought. No co-sponsours or help for housing from friends can be used. No income from your spouse, and if you're self employed good luck. Also have been instances of them counting British children when they shouldn't to make threshold even higher.

Yes it is true that you will incur a 10 year ban if you leave, that you may be able to get waived. You and kids cannot use the VWP (visa waiver program - what you entered under) again, and Boiler is right, it is very unlikely for you to obtain a B visa. In order for you to adjust you will need a sponsour or co-sponsour. There's no real way to get around this. Your husband will need to find employment that meets our threshold for you and the kids to adjust.

Edited by yuna628

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Timeline

@ boiler I guess reformed baptists are poorer people than the other denominational preachers. Because no one we know meets the required sallary for a co sponsor or would be prepared to take on that responsibility. We actually want to live in the UK and would prefer it to here, we just do not want to be split up for years. I wish I had a crystal ball to know if I can easily find good work back home quicky enough, but we do own our own home here and could sell for the savings required to go to the UK, if the house will sell, the market is slow right now. Could take a long time. Kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place. Also thanks for all the advice guys but I have no idea what all the abreviations are for, I know you are all probably experts in all this, but some of us lesser mortals needs things in simpler terms please! :-)

If you leave the states you will have the ban.

You overstayed for too long which means it will be 10 years.

Moving to the UK with your American husband will be 10x harder than staying and adjusting in the states.

My husband loves England but it was financially wiser for me to move to America.

Save up for AOS. And get your EAD so you can work and then help pay to adjust your sons.

If you are both set on moving to the UK, sorting out your status in the states might be wiser to do first.

But then again there would be no point applying for a green card if you do not wish to live there.

So it might be wise for just yourself to move back to England and find a good job and set your life up so you can afford to bring your family.

You'd need to earn enough for a household of four so that does make it harder, and if this is really what you want, then being seperate for your family will probably be the best for your family.

Edited by Cody and Daisy

My Name is Daisy, I am British, I say things bluntly and to the point.
London K1, A complete guide -- >http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/474161-london-k1-a-complete-guide/
I am Daisy the Beneficiary, These are my views!
U.K. k1 visa, approved 2014.

NOA1: 20/03/2014

NOA2: 11/04/2014 (22 days)

Interview: 09/07/2014 (111 days)

D.O.E 29/07/2014

Married 29/08/2014

AOS from K1/K3 Guide -->http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

AOS/EAD/AP Sent: 12/11/2014

Delivered at Chicago LB:15/11/2014

NOA1 (all 3): 17/11/2014

NOA1 (all 3) hardcopy: 24/11/2014(Notice date 20th)

Bio-metrics App letter: 28/11/2014(Notice date 21st)

Bio-metrics App Cleveland Ohio: 10/12/2014

EAD/AP:Approved/production 31/01/2015(update 2/2/1015) (80 days)

Combo Card: Mailed 5/2/2015

Combo Card: Delivered 6/2/2015AP

NOA: Approval Notice received 7/2/2015

Interview waiver letter: received 23/2/15 dated: 18/2/2015

Green Card: APPROVED 31/07/2015

(Remember, all my dates are British layout.. the proper layout!)

Timeline

Gee aint it great, you fall in love and get married assuming you can stay together in the so called free US or free UK. Only to be made to feel like you are some kind of a criminal because of it. I guess I will have to go home and try all I can. There seems to be nothing I can do from here.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~One post and one quoting removed. Stick to answering the questions asked or do not post.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Wales
Timeline

Correct me if Im wrong, but couldnt the OP file a fee waiver due to the financial burden if paid for in full?

View my K1 -> ROC Timeline

*Filed I-129F - 21st October 2011* *Applied for SSN - 8th June 2012* *Filed I-751 (arrived) - 26th March 2015

*NOA1 - 28th October 2011* *Filed for AOS, EAD & AP - 26th June 2012* * Check cashed - 30th March 2015
*NOA2 (no RFE) - 26th January 2012* *AOS, EAD, & AP arrive at Chicago Lockbox - 28th June 2012* NOA1 - 26th March 2015 (arrived 3/4/15)

*Packet 3 sent - 27th February 2012* *Email notification of receipt - 3rd July 2012* *No biometrics letter - Service Request submitted 5/4/15
*Medical - February 28th 2012* *Check cashed - 7th July 2012* *Still no biometrics letter - 2nd Service Request submitted - 8/6/15
*Packet 4 received - 17th March 2012* *NOA1 for AOS, EAD & AP - 9th July 2012* *Biometrics in Aurora, CO - 8th July 2015*
*Interview in London - 5th April 2012. APPROVED!!!* *Biometrics in Philadelphia (Drummond Road)- 7th August 2012*
*POE Newark, NJ - 16th May 2012 *Biometrics walk in at Philadelphia (Drummond Rd) - 25th July 2012*
*K1 process took 160 days* *Case Transfered to California Service Centre - 26th July 2012*
*SSN DENIED! - 17th August. 10 weeks after I applied!!*

*EAD/AP Approved - 28th August 2012* 59 days
*Married! - 1st June 2012* *EAD/AP card in hand - 1st September 2012*
*EAD/AP card in hand - 1st September 2012*
* Re-applied for SSN - 14th September 2012*
*Put in service request at 8mo/3days wait - 19th March 2013*

* AOS Approved!!! - 1st May 2013* Exactly 10 months after applying.

*Green card in hand - 6th May 2013

2yrdn5s0q.png

Well I wrote this reply before the others and then nodded off asleep before I posted. I see now you have gotten some good info, but I will post it anyway so you know there's another with the same advice.

---

If you leave the US, you will have a ban from returning because of your overstay. You may file for your greencard while in the US based on your marriage to a US citizen. It is four part for you. The guide is here http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

I am not even sure what you do for the children. They are not married to a US citizen and I don't even know if they are eligible. I don't have kids so never paid that much attention to kid immigration. Somebody else can offer help with that.

The costs are going to be your problem. For only you--

Petition I-130 $420

Greencard plus biometrics I-485 $1070

Immunizations $ ???

Medical exam $150-250??

Plus you need a sponsor (your husband) who earns $30,312/year to meet the guidelines for a family of four. You can find a co-sponsor who makes enough if your husband doesn't.

At least if you file, you should be authorized to work during the 60-90 days that follow application. Your option of going home to work and save isn't a good one because your,departure will incur a ban from returning to the US for 10 years. You could also move back to the UK with no intention of returning to the US. You would have to have a job earning at a certain level to sponsor your husband to the UK. They do not allow joint sponsors, so you would have to be working there before he could come. They check your income level two more times in the five years it takes to became a "permanent" resident in the UK.

There are options to request a waiver of the two applications fees. See what it takes to be considered here http://www.uscis.gov/feewaiver

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Correct me if Im wrong, but couldnt the OP file a fee waiver due to the financial burden if paid for in full?

No fee waiver for AOS.

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.