Toddandcamilla

vaccines, please help !

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

Hi everyone!

I havent gotten the Hep A or Hep B vaccine among a lot of other ones. Some require that its taken 2 times within 6 months.. will i be denied cause i can't take the second shot here in Denmark? i don't really wanna postpone interview etc just because of vaccines.. :( I cannot find any answers, i tried looking. Do any of you have any experience from your journey?

I need the flu shot i googled my way too as well.. if i want it or not :/ What did you guys do and what happened as your medical?

Thanks in advance guys!! Have a great Easter day!!

Camilla Denmark

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

You are a K1. Vaccines do not have to be completed for you to enter the US, but you will need to have them complete to adjust your status after you are married.

If insufficient time has lapsed before the booster (second shot) can be administered, they usually sign you off as complete due to insufficient time lapse. Go get the shots you are missing because it's cheaper and easier to do them before you go than to try find a civil surgeon in your area in the US to get them done.

The flu shot is required only if your medical falls during flu season which is October 1st through March 31st, so you don't need that if you have a medical coming up before October.

Happy Easter to you, too.

Edited by wbeem
Lee & William

8/2/2014 - Sent I-129F Petition with USPS by Express Mail    
8/4/2014 - I-129F delivered to dropbox    8/6/2014 - NOA1 Text/E-Mail received    8/11/2014 - Alien Registration Number Changed (Text/E-Mail) / NOA1 Letter received by Mail    3/16/2015 - NOA2 Text/E-Mail received (224 days)    3/20/2015 - Sent to NVC    3/31/2015 - NVC Received    4/1/2015 - Case Number Assigned       4/7/2015 - NVC Sent to Embassy    4/10/2015 - London Embassy Received    4/11/2015 - Medical     4/15/2015 - Packet 3 Received    4/12/2015 - Packet 3 Sent    4/23/2015 - Packet 4 Received    5/18/2015 - Interview - APPROVED     5/30/2015 - Visa collected from courier    6/1/2015 - POE    6/14/2015 - Wedding 💍💍

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Even though they are not required for the K-1, you should still make an effort to get them all done and marked off on your DS-3025 at the time of the K-1 medical. Anyone that has that ability should take it. It can be a huge hassle to find a civil surgeon here in the US that will not insist on overcharging and/or giving a whole new medical that is not required for a K-1.

You only need one shot in a series for AOS. Hep A and B are not required. The flu shot is only during flu season, which is over now.

The vaccinations are age specific. For most people this is what it comes down to: MMR, Tdap/TD, varicella(unless you already had chickenpox), and the flu shot(but only during flu season). See this chart > http://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehealth/exams/ti/civil/vaccination-civil-technical-instructions.html#tbl1

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

THANK you guys so much!! I was afraid that when i got to the medical, that i wouldnt get my interview cause i was missing a ton of vaccinations. So i wanted to take as many as i can before it goes to the NVC our case. So basically just get as many as i can now to avoid a civil surgeon overcharge in the US. I felt unsure if they would approve me eventho i was only half way through my vaccinations! You guys are worth gold!! Thank you so much for your help!! The not knowing part in these processes creates mind spin. Good luck to you all and virutual hugs from Denmark :-)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

For a K-1, the NVC just receives the approved petition case, assigns the case# and forwards it to the appropriate consulate. If you check the consulate website for your country, it may have the instructions you need for the interview, plus medical information.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

I tried to look at the Embassy. But its closed in denmark due to very little applications for fiance visas so they relocated it to stockholm sweden and i cant find it there. But i will try and call the assigned doctor for the medical, maybe they will answer it! So far im happy with the help from you guys! :-))

Timeline

Calling sounds like a good idea. You should be fine. :)

Lee & William

8/4/2014 - I-129F delivered to dropbox    8/6/2014 - NOA1 Text/E-Mail received    8/11/2014 - Alien Registration Number Changed (Text/E-Mail) / NOA1 Letter received by Mail    3/16/2015 - NOA2 Text/E-Mail received (224 days)    3/20/2015 - Sent to NVC    3/31/2015 - NVC Received    4/1/2015 - Case Number Assigned       4/7/2015 - NVC Sent to Embassy    4/10/2015 - London Embassy Received    4/11/2015 - Medical     4/15/2015 - Packet 3 Received    4/12/2015 - Packet 3 Sent    4/23/2015 - Packet 4 Received    5/18/2015 - Interview - APPROVED     5/30/2015 - Visa collected from courier    6/1/2015 - POE    6/14/2015 - Wedding 💍💍

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Hi everyone!

I havent gotten the Hep A or Hep B vaccine among a lot of other ones. Some require that its taken 2 times within 6 months.. will i be denied cause i can't take the second shot here in Denmark? i don't really wanna postpone interview etc just because of vaccines.. :( I cannot find any answers, i tried looking. Do any of you have any experience from your journey?

I need the flu shot i googled my way too as well.. if i want it or not :/ What did you guys do and what happened as your medical?

Thanks in advance guys!! Have a great Easter day!!

Camilla Denmark

Hi, Camilla.

As my friend told me (she went thru the K-1visa process) you don't need to have the second shot done prior your interview. If you got first shot on the moment of interview that's fine. You will show your certificate with your vaccination list to a doctor on your medical exam which you must go thru before your visa interview. Doctor defines what vaccination you miss and they will do it right there. Flu shot is seasonal. So, if it is the season of flu epidemy they will do it. Don't worry.

event.png

Timeline

Hi, Camilla.

As my friend told me (she went thru the K-1visa process) you don't need to have the second shot done prior your interview. If you got first shot on the moment of interview that's fine. You will show your certificate with your vaccination list to a doctor on your medical exam which you must go thru before your visa interview. Doctor defines what vaccination you miss and they will do it right there. Flu shot is seasonal. So, if it is the season of flu epidemy they will do it. Don't worry.

And if you had Chickenpox and Rubella in your childhood you can do bloodtests for antibodies to these viruses and bring the results with you to the medical exam. It's enough to prove you don't need these vaccines.

event.png

Timeline

Thank you so much!! :-) good to know about the blood test! I already had the chicken pox but it doesnt state that anywhere so i will get a blood test asap and bring that! Wouldnt you guys say its smartest to get the Hep A and B vaccine right now and my tetanus before the medical, since I am able too before the medical? Thank you guys for helping out! Much much appriciated!!!!!

Timeline

Thank you so much!! :-) good to know about the blood test! I already had the chicken pox but it doesnt state that anywhere so i will get a blood test asap and bring that! Wouldnt you guys say its smartest to get the Hep A and B vaccine right now and my tetanus before the medical, since I am able too before the medical? Thank you guys for helping out! Much much appriciated!!!!!

You're welcome!

Check your bloodtest results that they show your antibodies level. Just to be sure you have them :) Otherwise you need to do the vaccination.

Do everything that you can now before the medical exam. It will be more expensive on the medical exam and later in the US. And I think it's less stressful for your health. If you don't have several vaccinations they will do it on medical exam on the same day. Which I think is not very good.

Im doing all vaccination now in two steps while waiting for my petition to be approved. My doctor did first 4 vaccines in one day including Hep. A and B. Then I will do the rest of vaccines in about 45 days including second shot for Hep.B.

Good luck!

event.png

Timeline

I'm not sure that you need the HepA and Hep B. The vaccines are age specific and for younger children.

Regarding the blood tests, they are referred to (well, here anyway) as titre tests. My vaccination records were destroyed in a flood some years back and I had to prove I'd had the MMR. I went to a travel clinic and they did the titre tests for me to prove I had immunity and gave me a letter and the lab report. The only shot I needed to redo was the Diptheria Tetanus because I hadn't had one in over ten years.

Regarding the blood tests, they actually cost me about the same as having the two doses of the MMR again and the only reason I took that route was because I didn't want to redo that vaccination since I'd already had my full lifetime dose, so it may work out similar in terms of cost if you have to pay for them, but it's your choice as to what makes you feel more comfortable.

We don't get the chicken pox shots here in the UK but our medical practice (the embassy appointed one) waives it on your word if you've had chicken pox before. Again, if you've had it as a child, as the doctors when you call whether you need to get that shot if you've already had it and if they want proof, what kind of proof. For peace of mind that helps you prepare.

Lee & William

Timeline

I just found the list for the Embassy in stockholm, they claim i need Meningococcal, rotavirus and Tetanus. The rest they want i had as a kid and i have my vaccination card. So i was thinking to try and call them and ask those specifik doctors if i can have them done prior to the medical which probably is still some months away depending on when USCIS sends our case on to NVC. So far they havent sent it yet as we were only approved NOA2 on the 1st of April. The x-ray i was thinking to have done now as well. Its says on the appointed xray clinic that they have up to a months wait for a xray so can i just get that appointment now and will it be okay eventhough i dont have a medical scheduled? Will the embassy be okay with a xray not taken after my medical since they have a long wait? So hard to try and figure it all out without any info from the embassy. But i would rather be ahead of time than having a delay that could cause unnessecary waiting time after my interview. Thank you for sharing your experience all of you! I wouldnt know what to do if I i couldnt ask you guys!! You help my mind be at ease for a while:-)

Timeline

You'll have to take the XRay at the medical. That is one of the 'big ones' at the medical and has to be signed off by the embassy appointed doctor so you won't be able to get it done independently. The only thing you can do yourself while you wait is the vaccinations so focus on that in the meantime. Your case shouldn't take long to get to NVC, but I'm not sure with your embassy if the NVC holds onto your petition to assign an interview date, which means it stays there longer or whether it goes right out to the embassy and they appoint the interview date. For example, London Embassy only assigns interviews when they receive the medical results, so ours is likely to be sent out of NVC in the next few days.

Have a look at our signature to give you an idea of the time scales on this process. California Service Center is a bit slower at getting the petitions to NVC than Texas is, but it's by a matter of days or a week or two, typically not months.

Lee & William

Timeline

I just found the list for the Embassy in stockholm, they claim i need Meningococcal, rotavirus and Tetanus. The rest they want i had as a kid and i have my vaccination card. So i was thinking to try and call them and ask those specifik doctors if i can have them done prior to the medical which probably is still some months away depending on when USCIS sends our case on to NVC. So far they havent sent it yet as we were only approved NOA2 on the 1st of April. The x-ray i was thinking to have done now as well. Its says on the appointed xray clinic that they have up to a months wait for a xray so can i just get that appointment now and will it be okay eventhough i dont have a medical scheduled? Will the embassy be okay with a xray not taken after my medical since they have a long wait? So hard to try and figure it all out without any info from the embassy. But i would rather be ahead of time than having a delay that could cause unnessecary waiting time after my interview. Thank you for sharing your experience all of you! I wouldnt know what to do if I i couldnt ask you guys!! You help my mind be at ease for a while:-

Im not sure you can do X-ray by yourself. I thought this is something they do on the medical exam. Maybe Stockholm Embassy clinic acceptes it. It's better to call them.

And as other people mentioned vaccines are age specific. As I know Rotavirus vaccine is for babies only.

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.