8 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi guys, so I sent in my aos papers around March 20th and they sent me an email and text confirmation on March 27th. Now today, April 3th I just got a notice of action that states that I have to come down to their USCIS office on April 14th for pictures and fingerprints, I did not expect it to be this soon, I guess my question is if it's 'normal' that they want me to come down this fast or am I lucky or what, lol. I thought noa1 will be them just informing me they received my application and not telling me about the biometrics right away. And second question, is this notice of action form good for anything? I've seen somewhere in the past that some people said something about the form 'proving' your immigrant status when someone wants to get a state Id or a permit or stuff like that. Thanks

Oh #######, you're right. My bad. Lol. Um it's just weird cause I imagined noa1 to be them saying they received my papers and will process them and give me the cases numbers but this letter I got asks me to come for biometrics. Also, I applied for all, aos, AP and ead and this letter only talks about ead and aos and give case numbers for those two... But I received numbers for all three via email and text. Is this what a typical noa1 is?

you should get three letters one for each, but if you have e mail with the numbers then it should be fine.

My appt for biometrics arrived about 3 weeks after I sent the stuff in and the appt was around 5-6 weeks after posting all my aos stuff off. probably depends on how busy your local office is but it seems about right.

you should get three letters one for each, but if you have e mail with the numbers then it should be fine.

My appt for biometrics arrived about 3 weeks after I sent the stuff in and the appt was around 5-6 weeks after posting all my aos stuff off. probably depends on how busy your local office is but it seems about right.

Right, it's just kind of weird I think that this biometrics appointment letter only mentions the aos and ead forms, and not the AP. I thought AP and ead were a combo card. Ahh dang it, lol, thought I got lucky and would get my ead sooner than on average!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Hi guys, so I sent in my aos papers around March 20th and they sent me an email and text confirmation on March 27th. Now today, April 3th I just got a notice of action that states that I have to come down to their USCIS office on April 14th for pictures and fingerprints, I did not expect it to be this soon, I guess my question is if it's 'normal' that they want me to come down this fast or am I lucky or what, lol. I thought noa1 will be them just informing me they received my application and not telling me about the biometrics right away. And second question, is this notice of action form good for anything? I've seen somewhere in the past that some people said something about the form 'proving' your immigrant status when someone wants to get a state Id or a permit or stuff like that. Thanks

I know in Michigan you can get a state ID or driver's license with a SSN I94 (valid) and proof of state residency (utility bills, insurance, U.S. mailings, etc.). So technically you can use your 797 to prove residency in the state assuming it was mailed to your current address, but not to prove legal status. In our case we still had two months left on my wife's I94, so they issued the license until that expired. We renewed it with the GC. If your I94 is expired, you will need to wait for the EAD/AP card or GC to apply for the state ID.

Lastly, my wife's bio appointment letter also showed up fairly quickly. She still had to wait approximately 90 days before the EAD arrived.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Right, it's just kind of weird I think that this biometrics appointment letter only mentions the aos and ead forms, and not the AP. I thought AP and ead were a combo card. Ahh dang it, lol, thought I got lucky and would get my ead sooner than on average!

AP does not require biometrics, they are only for the I-485 and I-765. That is why they only list those two case numbers.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I know in Michigan you can get a state ID or driver's license with a SSN I94 (valid) and proof of state residency (utility bills, insurance, U.S. mailings, etc.). So technically you can use your 797 to prove residency in the state assuming it was mailed to your current address, but not to prove legal status. In our case we still had two months left on my wife's I94, so they issued the license until that expired. We renewed it with the GC. If your I94 is expired, you will need to wait for the EAD/AP card or GC to apply for the state ID.

Lastly, my wife's bio appointment letter also showed up fairly quickly. She still had to wait approximately 90 days before the EAD arrived.

Completely fair enough. I guess in a roundabout way you used the NOA for residency. The warning is more or less for working and leaving/entering the country. You made a good point and good reason to use it though

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.