Mikeparham

threshold to meet I-864 requirements (split topic)

3 posts in this topic

Living overseas I will have to put my income as 0 as I have to return when my wife activates her visa according to the rules of immigration. In order to prove ability to support my spouse without income how much savings is required to show? What is the threshold for approval?

Living overseas I will have to put my income as 0 as I have to return when my wife activates her visa according to the rules of immigration. In order to prove ability to support my spouse without income how much savings is required to show? What is the threshold for approval?

It needs to be three times the difference between what you have and what the poverty level threshold is for your household size.

For a household of 2, the income level is $19,912 per year (new 2015 guidelines: http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864p.pdf).Since you have $0, it means you will need to prove you have at least $59,736 in your bank account, or that you have readily liquifiable assets (2nd car, 2nd home etc) equal to or greater than this value.

Edit: You can also ask someone who is a USC or LPR to be a joint sponsor, then you can use their income to sponsor your wife. They would be on the hook for her if she claims any welfare up until she works for 10 years, becomes a citizen, dies or abandons her Green Card.

Edited by Ketsuban

ROC from CR-1 visa (Green Card expiration date was Nov 24th 2016)

Link to the evidence I submitted. Be sure to send evidence spanning your entire marriage (especially for K-1) or as far back as you can. Just one or two bank statements will not cut it. I primarily focused on the two years of living here since I came in on a CR-1. If you don't have the fundamentals (i.e. joint accounts/policies), you can explain why in the covering letter. E.g. "While we do not have joint utilities, we both contribute to them from our joint bank account".

September 26th 2016: I-751 package sent to CSC

September 28th 2016: Package delivered
September 30th 2016: Check cashed
October 3rd 2016: NOA1 received with receipt date of 09/28/16
November 3rd 2016: Biometrics received with appointment date of 11/14/16.
November 14th 2016: Attended biometrics appointment
October 30th 2017: Infopass appointment to get I-551 stamp
February 26th 2018: I-751 case number (aka the NOA1 receipt number) becomes trackable
March 14th 2018: Submitted service request due to being outside of processing time.

March 15th 2018: ROC approved. 535 days (1 year, 5 months and 17 days)

March 29th 2018: Card being produced

April 4th 2018: Card mailed out

April 6th 2018: Card in hand. Has incorrect "resident since" date. Submitted service request on I-751 case (typographical error on permanent resident card) and an I-90 online.

April 2018 - August 7th 2018: Tons of service requests, emails and now senator involvement to get my corrected green card back because what the heck, USCIS. Also some time in May I sent a letter to Potomac telling them I want to withdraw my I-90 since CSC were handling it.

August 8th 2018: Card in production thanks to the direct involvement of Senator Sherrod Brown's team

August 13th 2018: Card mailed

August 15th 2018: Card in hand with correct date. :joy:

October 31st 2018: Potomac sends out a notice stating they have closed out my I-90 per my request. Yay for no duplicate card drama.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Start your own thread. Don't hijack another person's thread with your questions.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.