DannyandRalu

questions regarding next phase in k1 process

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

Hi everyone, i am a little confused about some things that involve in the k1 visa process. i have filed the 129f about 1 month and half ago and i recently got my NOA2 letter very fast saying we were approved, now they say its on its way to NVC center and they said i sould recieve a letter from them when they will send my petition to the embassy abroad. its been about 3 weeks and havent recieved anything from NVC yet, should i try to contact them or is this normal and i should be more paitient? Also i am confused about the packet(s) that my fiancee is supposed to recieve, what is that exactly and where is it sent, her residence or email?i havent gathered any of the documents such as affidavid yet because i was told to wait until she recives the packet in her home country, so i guess im wondering if in order for her to recieve the packet i need to recieve the letter from NVC first correct? i dont know what the packet she will revieve will have inside but im guessing instructions on what documents she needs correct?

the process is moving very fast and im worried that i dont have the needed documents she needs.

any info would be very appreciated

Danny-

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi everyone, i am a little confused about some things that involve in the k1 visa process. i have filed the 129f about 1 month and half ago and i recently got my NOA2 letter very fast saying we were approved, now they say its on its way to NVC center and they said i sould recieve a letter from them when they will send my petition to the embassy abroad. its been about 3 weeks and havent recieved anything from NVC yet, should i try to contact them or is this normal and i should be more paitient? Also i am confused about the packet(s) that my fiancee is supposed to recieve, what is that exactly and where is it sent, her residence or email?i havent gathered any of the documents such as affidavid yet because i was told to wait until she recives the packet in her home country, so i guess im wondering if in order for her to recieve the packet i need to recieve the letter from NVC first correct? i dont know what the packet she will revieve will have inside but im guessing instructions on what documents she needs correct?

the process is moving very fast and im worried that i dont have the needed documents she needs.

any info would be very appreciated

Danny-

That timeframe is pretty typical, especially for California Service Center. This is not always the case but for many filers their NOA2 comes faster than it does at TSC but TSC is better at handling the NVC portion and ships off petitions faster. Your USCIS case status page will never update past "We have sent your file to the Department of State for processing..." until you begin the AOS procedures. You can usually start calling the NVC about two weeks after your case status changed on the USCIS tracker. Just ask them if your petition was received - they will want the WACxxxxxxxxxx number - and if it has, ask them for the NVC case number. Once you have your NVC case number, access the tracker below and you can begin tracking it. From here on out the CEAC tracker will update the status. Make sure you choose immigrant visa in the dropdown! - https://ceac.state.gov/CEACStatTracker/Status.aspx?

Like I said though, CSC is slower than TSC at this stage so it may be a longer wait. Make sure you set aside about an hour or more to call the NVC as they typically make you sit on hold for 45 minutes before you get to anyone.

Your fiance will not receive any packet until your case has arrived at the embassy. This will happen after the NVC receive it, assign it an NVC case number and ship it to the embassy. I have no way of estimating the amount of time that will take. Typically the packet is received through regular mail but not all embassies are the same in their packet process - some don't even get packets and others can get them electronically. I would suggest checking the regional forums for your fiance's embassy and reviewing the threads there or posting a new question if you can't find that information. The packet typically explains how to schedule an interview or how it will be scheduled for her, the documents needed, embassy information and other info.

Your approval through CSC is the fastest you'll see in this process. The NVC/Embassy/Medical/Interview will take longer than your NOA1->NOA2. It's still fast but there's no requirement for you to get documents to her in a speedy fashion. At this stage most of it is on your fiance's shoulders - the interview date either will be chosen by her or the embassy will not schedule it until she has completed her medical. There is time to get the documents to her, and they aren't needed until the interview.

I would suggest waiting to send any dated documents until her interview date has been scheduled. She doesn't technically need a letter or packet for this to happen, you sending documentation is all based on the interview date. As an example my fiance's interview date is set for April 10 in London. I signed all of my documentation, put together my packet and sent it overnight shipping to him on March 20. This date was as comfortably close as I'd like to get but you want to ensure the dated items you are sending, as well as paystubs (if using them), are as timely as possible. Unless there will be issues with mailing/shipping, I would decide when to send her documents once you have an interview date.

Good luck!

Edited by Megan & Luke

Our K-1 at Texas Service Center

I-129F Sent: 07-02-14 (USPS Overnight Express)
I-129F Rcvd: 07-03-14
NOA1: 07-08-14

NOA1 Hardcopy: 07-14-14

ARN Changed: 07-16-14

NOA2: 01-23-15 (199 days)

Sent to NVC: 01-27-15

NOA2 Hardcopy: 01-30-15 (No consulate listed, inquiry opened)

NVC Received: 02-06-15 (Case # assigned)

NVC Sent: 02-19-15

London Embassy Received: 02-23-15

Readiness Submitted: 03-02-2015

Packet 3 Received: 03-03-2015

Packet 4 Received: 03-12-2015

Medical: 03-04-15 (Passed)

Interview: 04-10-2015 (Approved!)

Visa Issued: 04-15-2015

Visa In Hand: 04-21-2015

POE: 05-03-2015

Wedding: July 10, 2015

3,419 miles (L) Distance means nothing when your heart says "I love you"

YVjFm5.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

After they receive the case in Romania, then yes, they should send an instruction packet that outlines the requirements for the K-1 interview. Not much info here, but there is an email address for contact at the bottom > http://romania.usembassy.gov/visas/fiancee.html

You can also check here for what will be needed > http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/types/family/fiance-k-1.html#5

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

That timeframe is pretty typical, especially for California Service Center. This is not always the case but for many filers their NOA2 comes faster than it does at TSC but TSC is better at handling the NVC portion and ships off petitions faster. Your USCIS case status page will never update past "We have sent your file to the Department of State for processing..." until you begin the AOS procedures. You can usually start calling the NVC about two weeks after your case status changed on the USCIS tracker. Just ask them if your petition was received - they will want the WACxxxxxxxxxx number - and if it has, ask them for the NVC case number. Once you have your NVC case number, access the tracker below and you can begin tracking it. From here on out the CEAC tracker will update the status. Make sure you choose immigrant visa in the dropdown! - https://ceac.state.gov/CEACStatTracker/Status.aspx?

Like I said though, CSC is slower than TSC at this stage so it may be a longer wait. Make sure you set aside about an hour or more to call the NVC as they typically make you sit on hold for 45 minutes before you get to anyone.

Your fiance will not receive any packet until your case has arrived at the embassy. This will happen after the NVC receive it, assign it an NVC case number and ship it to the embassy. I have no way of estimating the amount of time that will take. Typically the packet is received through regular mail but not all embassies are the same in their packet process - some don't even get packets and others can get them electronically. I would suggest checking the regional forums for your fiance's embassy and reviewing the threads there or posting a new question if you can't find that information. The packet typically explains how to schedule an interview or how it will be scheduled for her, the documents needed, embassy information and other info.

Your approval through CSC is the fastest you'll see in this process. The NVC/Embassy/Medical/Interview will take longer than your NOA1->NOA2. It's still fast but there's no requirement for you to get documents to her in a speedy fashion. At this stage most of it is on your fiance's shoulders - the interview date either will be chosen by her or the embassy will not schedule it until she has completed her medical. There is time to get the documents to her, and they aren't needed until the interview.

I would suggest waiting to send any dated documents until her interview date has been scheduled. She doesn't technically need a letter or packet for this to happen, you sending documentation is all based on the interview date. As an example my fiance's interview date is set for April 10 in London. I signed all of my documentation, put together my packet and sent it overnight shipping to him on March 20. This date was as comfortably close as I'd like to get but you want to ensure the dated items you are sending, as well as paystubs (if using them), are as timely as possible. Unless there will be issues with mailing/shipping, I would decide when to send her documents once you have an interview date.

Good luck!

Thank you very much for all the info, I noticed on your timeline that the time between your NOA2 and the embassy recieved you petition was about a month so if this is the case with our petition is my fiancee required to go get the medical done right away and schedule her interview? Really i guess what im asking is is she required to apply for the visa as soon as the embassy gets the petition? on the NOA2 under -Notice type- it says Approvel notice Valid from 3/2015 to 07/2015 does this mean that the medical and interview must be done within this timeframe? must come to the U.S right after her visa is approved? She is trying to sell her apartment and she is afraid she wont be able to if she is requried to leave right after she is givin the visa.also when i go on the uscis site and look at status it says case was approved as of date nothing about the case being sent to NVC, only in the NOA2.

i

Timeline

Thank you very much for all the info, I noticed on your timeline that the time between your NOA2 and the embassy recieved you petition was about a month so if this is the case with our petition is my fiancee required to go get the medical done right away and schedule her interview? Really i guess what im asking is is she required to apply for the visa as soon as the embassy gets the petition? on the NOA2 under -Notice type- it says Approvel notice Valid from 3/2015 to 07/2015 does this mean that the medical and interview must be done within this timeframe? must come to the U.S right after her visa is approved? She is trying to sell her apartment and she is afraid she wont be able to if she is requried to leave right after she is givin the visa.also when i go on the uscis site and look at status it says case was approved as of date nothing about the case being sent to NVC, only in the NOA2.

i

No, your fiance is not required to book the medical, have the interview and apply for the visa immediately after the embassy receive it. Each petition has an expiration date, which I believe is four months from the NOA2 date. On the NOA2 your date range is until 7/2015. As long as your fiance has completed her steps before that expiration date you're fine. If she is unable to, you will both need to submit updated letters of intent to show that you still intend to marry each other within the 90 days of entry into the U.S. Really the remaining timeline is up to you. If your NOA2 went too fast you can slow down on this part and take your time, just be aware if you hit that expiration date you may need to provide support of continued intent to marry.

That NOA2 expiration date is up to the point of approval at the interview. Once you have been approved at the interview stage your fiance has 6 months to enter into the U.S. Overall if you push it out you can make this go another 9 months. As of her visa approval date after her interview she has those 6 months to enter into the U.S. and prior to that you still have three remaining months on the NOA2.

If your status on the USCIS tracker has not updated to "Your case was sent to the Department of State for processing" then this means it has not yet left the California Service Center. You can always call the service center, speak to an agent and confirm this but those are the typical updates to the status when it gets shipped off. However, like I said, CSC, is typically slower than TSC at this point. My petition at TSC was shipped off within a week of our NOA2. I didn't even receive our NOA2 hardcopy in the mail until after it had already arrived at the NVC and was being sent to London.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Megan & Luke

YVjFm5.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Each petition has an expiration date, which I believe is four months from the NOA2 date. On the NOA2 your date range is until 7/2015. As long as your fiance has completed her steps before that expiration date you're fine. If she is unable to, you will both need to submit updated letters of intent to show that you still intend to marry each other within the 90 days of entry into the U.S. Really the remaining timeline is up to you. If your NOA2 went too fast you can slow down on this part and take your time, just be aware if you hit that expiration date you may need to provide support of continued intent to marry.

That NOA2 expiration date is up to the point of approval at the interview. Once you have been approved at the interview stage your fiance has 6 months to enter into the U.S. Overall if you push it out you can make this go another 9 months. As of her visa approval date after her interview she has those 6 months to enter into the U.S. and prior to that you still have three remaining months on the NOA2.

If your status on the USCIS tracker has not updated to "Your case was sent to the Department of State for processing" then this means it has not yet left the California Service Center. You can always call the service center, speak to an agent and confirm this but those are the typical updates to the status when it gets shipped off. However, like I said, CSC, is typically slower than TSC at this point. My petition at TSC was shipped off within a week of our NOA2. I didn't even receive our NOA2 hardcopy in the mail until after it had already arrived at the NVC and was being sent to London.

Hope this helps!

Almost entirely accurate except a couple minor things:

1. Submitting an updated letter of intent once the NOA2 has expired is a London Embassy requirement. Other embassies just do it automatically (such as Jakarta/Indonesia). I don't know what the embassy in Romania requires.

2. CSC does not update the status to say your petition has been sent to NVC. That is one step TSC takes that CSC does not do. The final status update from CSC is that your petition has been approved.

OP- many of us didn't receive anything from NVC. I just found out it finally reached there when I called them. A couple weeks after it reached NVC, the US Embassy in Jakarta sent me an e-mail to confirm my fiancee's contact info, and then sent her "packet 3". I can't tell from the info page on VJ if the embassy in Romania will e-mail packet 3 or send it regular mail. It will be one of the two though.

Edited by usmsbow

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Timeline

Almost entirely accurate except a couple minor things:

1. Submitting an updated letter of intent once the NOA2 has expired is a London Embassy requirement. Other embassies just do it automatically (such as Jakarta/Indonesia). I don't know what the embassy in Romania requires.

2. CSC does not update the status to say your petition has been sent to NVC. That is one step TSC takes that CSC does not do. The final status update from CSC is that your petition has been approved.

OP- many of us didn't receive anything from NVC. I just found out it finally reached there when I called them. A couple weeks after it reached NVC, the US Embassy in Jakarta sent me an e-mail to confirm my fiancee's contact info, and then sent her "packet 3". I can't tell from the info page on VJ if the embassy in Romania will e-mail packet 3 or send it regular mail. It will be one of the two though.

Good to know.

I know the embassy requirements differ, which is why I mentioned that their best bet from the beginning was to review the specific embassy forum. On top of that the processes change so frequently that it's almost a must anyways.

You'd think CSC and TSC would be required to do the same update... go figure, nothing is standard which is sad, it's all the same processing... Anyways, this frustrates me even after we're past the USCIS/NVC portion!

YVjFm5.png

Timeline

Thank you all very much for you very impormative and fast responses i really appriciate and am thankful for this site where we all can use our knowledge and support eachother.. I cant wait until my fiancee is on U.S soil to relieve this stress we both.

thanks again

Danny-

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.