Melisandre

K1 visa - After Wedding...

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey guys!

Got my K1 visa, getting married in a month!!!! Moving from Ontario, Canada to Houston, Texas. I just had a few questions regarding what happens after that.

1) When would I be able to visit Canada again. Any idea how long I might have to wait? Does it take too long to get the process of the next step started after getting married?

2) My Canadian health card expires in 5 months (I'll be gone by then, but I do plant to visit Canada occasionally and stay here at least 3/4 months a year as my parents are sick ). How can I get it renewed, or should I get it renewed.

3) My passport will expire in 2016. I plan to keep my Canadian passport. Can I renew my passport when I'm visiting Canada or do I have to get it done while in the US from the Canadian embassy.

4) Would I be able to drive in Canada while visiting with my Texas diver's license?

5) And on a completely unrelated note, when I'm going through my port of entrance from Canada, can I put all my jewelries in the carry on? It's a lot of jewelry as I'm an earrings freak. It's just they are extremely heavy and fragile and I wanted to make sure they aren't thrown around like regular baggage. Do you think I'll get in trouble as I go through security with them?

Thank you so much.. Sorry if these are basic/common concerns and have been covered already, I couldn't find much through my search in the forum probably because I didn't search with the correct key terms.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

1) Uou would need to apply for advanced parole with your AOS after marriage. Expect to wait 3 months.

2) consider your Canadian health card and benefits gone. Once you are immigrating you're no longer eligible to use or receive it. It would be fraud to do so.

3) this I'm unsure of as you would have to show your current address

4) As long as it's valid absolutely. My parents are LPR's in Florida and have no issues.

5) unsure

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from K-1 Process forum to the Working & Traveling forum -- topic chiefly involves that phase. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hey guys!

Got my K1 visa, getting married in a month!!!! Moving from Ontario, Canada to Houston, Texas. I just had a few questions regarding what happens after that.

1) When would I be able to visit Canada again. Any idea how long I might have to wait? Does it take too long to get the process of the next step started after getting married?

2) My Canadian health card expires in 5 months (I'll be gone by then, but I do plant to visit Canada occasionally and stay here at least 3/4 months a year as my parents are sick ). How can I get it renewed, or should I get it renewed.

3) My passport will expire in 2016. I plan to keep my Canadian passport. Can I renew my passport when I'm visiting Canada or do I have to get it done while in the US from the Canadian embassy.

4) Would I be able to drive in Canada while visiting with my Texas diver's license?

5) And on a completely unrelated note, when I'm going through my port of entrance from Canada, can I put all my jewelries in the carry on? It's a lot of jewelry as I'm an earrings freak. It's just they are extremely heavy and fragile and I wanted to make sure they aren't thrown around like regular baggage. Do you think I'll get in trouble as I go through security with them?

Thank you so much.. Sorry if these are basic/common concerns and have been covered already, I couldn't find much through my search in the forum probably because I didn't search with the correct key terms.

#5 - I would just suggest erring on the side of caution and ease of passage through security by not wearing them for the flight or POE. If you do, possibly choose only one or two items. I never had to remove jewelry when I went through any security checkpoint - watch yes, but never earrings, necklace, engagement ring, etc. Depends on the type of metal I would suppose, but that's just my two cents.

I am unable to answer your #3 definitively however you are still a citizen of Canada and are eligible to have a Canadian passport. You should be able to renew from wherever you are and I do not believe you are required to be there in person, but each country is different. Perhaps contact your embassy and ask this question.

Our K-1 at Texas Service Center

I-129F Sent: 07-02-14 (USPS Overnight Express)
I-129F Rcvd: 07-03-14
NOA1: 07-08-14

NOA1 Hardcopy: 07-14-14

ARN Changed: 07-16-14

NOA2: 01-23-15 (199 days)

Sent to NVC: 01-27-15

NOA2 Hardcopy: 01-30-15 (No consulate listed, inquiry opened)

NVC Received: 02-06-15 (Case # assigned)

NVC Sent: 02-19-15

London Embassy Received: 02-23-15

Readiness Submitted: 03-02-2015

Packet 3 Received: 03-03-2015

Packet 4 Received: 03-12-2015

Medical: 03-04-15 (Passed)

Interview: 04-10-2015 (Approved!)

Visa Issued: 04-15-2015

Visa In Hand: 04-21-2015

POE: 05-03-2015

Wedding: July 10, 2015

3,419 miles (L) Distance means nothing when your heart says "I love you"

YVjFm5.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.