rnab32

G-325A Citizenship/Nationality

7 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!

My fiancee is from the Philippines, so what should she put in this field, Philippines or Filipino?

Thanks in advance!

ROC:

7/2/18 - ROC packet (I-751) sent

7/5/18 - USCIS CSC received

7/13/18 - NOA (I-797) notice date

7/17/18 - $680 check cashed

7/20/18 - NOA (I-797) received

3/11/19 - Biometrics reused

6/4/19 - Case transferred to Potomac Service Center  

10/9/19 - New Card Is Being Produced / Approved

10/11/19 - Card Was Mailed To Me

10/12/19 - Approval Notice received

10/17/19 - 10-yr Green Card received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi everyone!

My fiancee is from the Philippines, so what should she put in this field, Philippines or Filipino?

Thanks in advance!

Philippines is a country not a nationality, if you want to be completely accurate write filipina since shes a female.

Thanks everyone!

Filipino for Citizenship/Nationality it is.

ROC:

7/2/18 - ROC packet (I-751) sent

7/5/18 - USCIS CSC received

7/13/18 - NOA (I-797) notice date

7/17/18 - $680 check cashed

7/20/18 - NOA (I-797) received

3/11/19 - Biometrics reused

6/4/19 - Case transferred to Potomac Service Center  

10/9/19 - New Card Is Being Produced / Approved

10/11/19 - Card Was Mailed To Me

10/12/19 - Approval Notice received

10/17/19 - 10-yr Green Card received

• 9 months later...
Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I am preparing to file my K-1 petition shortly within the next few days and I just had my fiancee ask me this because I put American for my nationality and she put Filipino. She then came back and told me to change mine to United States... If that were the case then she should put Philippines. I honestly think the question itself is asked somewhat misleading because Citizenship and Nationality aren't even the same thing. I did a little research and found this article that pretty much explained the two words.

(http://www.differencebetween.net/miscellaneous/difference-between-nationality-and-citizenship/)

Nationality can be applied to the country where an individual has been born. Citizenship is a legal status, which means that an individual has been registered with the government in some country.

Nationality is got through inheritance from his parents or it can be called a natural phenomenon. On the other hand an individual becomes a citizen of a country only when he is accepted into that country’s political framework through legal terms.

So with that said Citizenship would be United Stated and Nationality would be American and when you put them both in the same question it's just absurd to expect one answer. This however fits perfectly with the way the US Government over complicates the very simplest of things.
So with that said even after my Fiancee gets here her nationality will always be Filipino since that's the country where she was born. Even though for now her citizenship is with the Philippines it will eventually be United States once she decides to apply for US citizenship.
For myself since I was born here in the United States so I am a US citizen and my nationality is American.

The US Department of State lists has it correct on US Passports where they list under "Nationality" United States of America. If the Department of Homeland Security (USCIS) just followed that rationale there would have been no confusion.

So I really can't see how they expect anyone to answer a question with one answer that really has two unless they really don't understand the question they are asking themselves.

All I can say is that back in 2007 when I filed the K-1 visa for my ex wife and filled out the G-325a I put "American" and never had a problem with that answer. If you put United States, USA or US Citizen I cannot possibly see how you would have a problem with any of those answers since all four would technically be correct.

Hope this helps ;)

Just a way for them to issue a RFE if they feel like jerking you around.

IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Manila, Philippines
Marriage (if applicable): 2014-05-17
I-130 Sent : 2014-06-23
I-130 NOA1 : 2014-06-25
I-130 RFE : 2014-08-11 (Wanted NSO Marriage Certificate, not LCR)
I-130 RFE Sent : 2014-08-14
I-130 Approved : 2014-08-27
NVC Received : 2014-09-15
Received DS-261 / AOS Bill : 2014-09-17
Pay AOS Bill : 2014-09-17
Submit DS-261 : 2014-09-17
Send AOS Package : 2014-09-19
Receive IV Bill : 2014-10-03
Pay IV Bill : 2014-10-03
Received Interview Letter by E-mail: 2015-03-20 (May 5, 2015)
SLEC completed: 2015-04-22
Visa Approved: 2015-05-05
Visa Issued: 2015-05-15 (221g for no CENOMAR!)

Visa Received: 2015-05-21

POE: Chicago 2015-09-14

GC Received: 2015-11-17

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.