ichigo85

Our Removal of Conditions Story ^_^

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

First off, everyone's case/situation is different. This just happen to be ours.

So I figured I would give everyone here a little info on what happened with our case. When we first filed the removal application it was in the first week of May (waited until their was two weeks left before their green card expired) and received the 1yr extention document. The proof of evidence we sent was laughable when compared to others on here. We purposely did this because we wanted to see if all the evidence was necessary; basically we wanted to experiment around with this process so that hopefully our experience will help others relax since adjusting one's status is a nightmare! We wasn't worried about whether or not we would get denied because my wife and I's marriage is, without a doubt, legit and any face-to-face interview (separated or not) would prove that.

So on to what we sent:

1. Six months worth of detailed bank statements that showed a list of ALL our purchases (there was A LOT of purchases since we do that a lot together XD). The way I did this was I skipped every other month for a full year, so it was like Jan, March, May, etc....

2. 2013 Tax Return (every last page, which was unnecessary now that we look back).

3. Proof of current car insurance.

4. A letter with our names on it from the IRS saying that we'd paid our debt off to them (solid piece of evidence =)! Can't question a letter from them!)

5. A letter written by my stepfather saying that we currently, and have been since 2012, living in his house rent free since he is out of town for the majority of the year.

6. Printed out forms from our bank that show we are on each others accounts, which also indirectly means that we are beneficiaries of those accounts.

And that was it. We didn't send 2012's tax return, which ended up being a mistake because we received an RFI (think that's the abbreviation) on 23rd of December. The letter listed things that they wanted and guess what, they wanted 2012's tax return and a housing lease agreement (not sure about the lease agreement, I'd have to look again) and that was it. Btw, the things that they wanted was separate from the list that they recommend sending. This list specified exactly what they wanted returned. It also detailed what they received, which wasn't everything we sent. This could have been because we didn't send a cover that showed what was in our envelope. Also, the letter said that if they didn't receive a response by the second week of March, then our application would automatically get denied. We sent this stuff back the first week of March.

This is what we sent back:

1. 2012's tax return.

2. 2014's tax return since we'd already filed for this year.

3. All the documents that got lost:

-Car insurance forms: the 1st document we sent and another because we just renewed or policy).

-Bank statements showing shopping history.

-The forms from the bank that showed we are on each others accounts.

-Couldn't send the letter my stepfather wrote out because I sent the original.

4.Cover letter stating what was in the envelope this time. I also wrote on the cover letter that forms that show we are on each others accounts indirectly means we are beneficiaries over the accounts and that we have no housing lease agreement because we live in my stepfather's home and that I sent a letter that was written from him stating that.

And that is all I sent them the for RFI. And looking at this now, they lost over half the stuff we sent, lol.

Well, I'm not sure if I believe you sent very little information because you " wanted to see if all the evidence was necessary" - risking an RFE, interview, and possible denial. Had your scant evidence not have triggered an RFE, it would have been a poor example to anyone else who was trying to prepare evidence to bolster their case. You claim you did this on purpose (odd?) yet you say not submitting the 2012 taxes was a mistake. So which was it? Your documents were not lost. You sent too little and they were asking you to make an honest and serious re-submission.

There is something very strange about your post. Maybe I'm just not sure what your intention is/was.

AOS

03/24/11 - Got married in the Boogie-Down Bronx, NYC!
04/21/11 - Mailed I-130,I-765, I-485, I-864 and I-693 - Day 00

04/23/11 - Application delivered - Day 02
04/28/11 - NOA (most forms) - Day 07
05/03/11 - Checks cashed - Day 12
05/31/11 - Biometrics completed in the Bronx, NYC - Day 40
06/24/11 - Received someone else's employment authorization card!!! What the...? - Day 64
07/01/11 - Mailed the poor lady's card back after calling USCIS - Day 71
07/07/11 - Received poor lady's interview notice! What??? - Day 77
07/15/11 - Received my own EAD card - Day 85
08/12/11 - Interview. Approved on the spot! - Day 113
08/18/11 - Received card in the mail - Day 119

ROC
05/28/13 - Mailed I-751 - Day 00

05/30/13 - Application delivered - Day 02

05/31/13 - NOA I-797 - Day 03
06/04/13 - Check cashed - Day 07

06/06/13 - NOA delivered to my home/Biometrics letter generated - Day 09

06/10/13 - Received Biometrics letter in the mail - Day 13

06/27/13 - Biometrics completed in Milwaukee, WI - Day 30

09/10/13 - Application approved! - Day 105

09/14/13 - 10 year Green Card received! - Day 109

Citizenship

05/10/16 - Mailed N-400 - Day 00

05/12/16 - Application delivered - Day 02

05/13/16 - Credit card payment accepted - Day 03

05/17/16 - Received text & email update - Day 07

05/20/16 - Received 1st NOA (dated 05/13/16) & created ELIS acct - Day 10

05/21/16 - Received 2nd NOA (dated 05/16/16) confirming my DOB and address - Day 11

05/22/06 - Biometrics scheduled (online update) and appt letter was mailed on 05/20/16 - Day 12

05/24/06 - Biometrics letter became viewable online (appt scheduled for 06/07/16) - Day 14

05/27/16 - Received Biometrics letter in mail - Day 17

05/31/16 - Was denied walk-in fingerprints with just 1 person left in line. Milwaukee office, boo! - Day 21

06/07/16 - Biometrics completed in Milwaukee, WI - Day 28

12/21/16 - Passed Citizenship test/Interview was successful! - Day 197

01/26/17 - I am a US citizen!!! - Day 233

Literally don't see the point in this post. You intentionally sent insufficient documents and got an RFE. How is this in anyway

a worthwhile experiment? I'm pretty sure most people on this forum understand that this is what's going to happen

if you don't end USCIS everything they need.

Plus, like you said. Everyones case/situation is different. Even if you had not gotten the RFE, if another person had

applied for ROC using the same evidence you sent the first time, then the chance of them getting an RFE is still there..

Edited by jeffkadrliktorr

Well, I'm not sure if I believe you sent very little information because you " wanted to see if all the evidence was necessary" - risking an RFE, interview, and possible denial. Had your scant evidence not have triggered an RFE, it would have been a poor example to anyone else who was trying to prepare evidence to bolster their case. You claim you did this on purpose (odd?) yet you say not submitting the 2012 taxes was a mistake. So which was it? Your documents were not lost. You sent too little and they were asking you to make an honest and serious re-submission.

There is something very strange about your post. Maybe I'm just not sure what your intention is/was.

Half experimenting, the other half was because that's all we had, lol. On the RFE it had a list of items for proof of evidence and then on a separate page it had a list of items that they requested that I send back. One was the 2012 tax returns and the other was a lease agreement. Not sure about the second being on there, though. Documents where lost/misplaced. Happened during the adjustment process, as well. I know this because during the interview we had to provide a document that the IO said had been lost.

To be honest, we were really surprised by the RFE. Our evidence was solid, minus the 2012 tax returns. If it wasn't then we wouldn't have gotten approved. We both thought everyone had to do another interview, so we where surprised when we read on here that most don't need to. If a couples marriage is legit, then why worry about an RFE or an interview?? At least that's the way we look at it.

As I said at the beginning, everyone's situation is different. Luckily ours was one that didn't require loads of evidence.

Anyway, I think you're over thinking my post. I have no reason to lie. That would be silly! I'm just sharing our experience.

Literally don't see the point in this post. You intentionally sent insufficient documents and got an RFE. How is this in anyway

a worthwhile experiment? I'm pretty sure most people on this forum understand that this is what's going to happen

if you don't end USCIS everything they need.

Plus, like you said. Everyones case/situation is different. Even if you had not gotten the RFE, if another person had

applied for ROC using the same evidence you sent the first time, then the chance of them getting an RFE is still there..

The point: sharing an experience. I've already stated why the RFE was sent out (2012 tax return). I said "everyone's situation is different" just so people wouldn't post what you just did.

Again, our evidence was solid. I think some people that are reading this are getting irritated because they freaked out and sent in TONS of evidence, possibly some that wasn't even required and I sent in some of the items requested. Well, I sent in everything we had that would prove we have an ongoing marriage.

No offense, if you thought your evidence were solid, well they are not THAT solid.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

People do not have to send every type of evidence in order to get approved. You just send in the types you have to create an overall picture of your bona fide marriage. I don't see that you actually sent very little. It could have been much less. I have seen people send less. Besides sending all the joint taxes from your entire marriage, you covered co-mingling of finances and co-habitation.

You sent joint taxes, but just not all of them.

You sent months worth of detailed joint bank transactions spanning at least a year.

You sent proof of joint car insurance.

You sent proof of receiving mail at the same address.

You sent an affidavit from the family member attesting to the fact hat you reside together in his house.

Joint taxes are an important evidence type, so it is not surprising that they approved you after you sent back the RFE with joint taxes from 2012 and 2014.

This wasn't really an experiment to see how little the USCIS will accept, as you admitted that this was all the evidence documentation you had. Instead of trying to say it was some grand experiment that it wasn't, it may have been more helpful for people if you had posted your experience about not having a lot of evidence, sending all you had, and could and still getting approved without the need for an interview. Others without a lot of evidence might take solace in that.

At least you got what was being said. It was experimental in a sense because we could have took out all kinds of insurance policies and got statements from other people, but we chose not to and decided to try with just what we had. Also we expected an interview like last time, so we figured we wouldn't go heavy on the evidence since they would question us anyway.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I wouldn't 'experiment' with something as important as this. And yes you know your marriage is legit, but the person sitting behind the desk only has what you sent in to go on and doesn't know you from Adam!

A bold move to 'try to help others'. But I would advise others to send everything they have that is relevant for evidence :)

Timeline:

Dec 31st 2011- I-129F sent
August 2nd 2012- INTERVIEW- APPROVED
August 10th 2012- Visas received
August 21st 2012- P.O.E Boston!

September 11th 2012- Applied for SSN.
September 16th 2012- MARRIED!!!
September 17th 2012- Received SSN.
October 26th 2012- Sent off AOS forms.

January 16th 2013- EAD and AP card issued.
January 26th 2013- Card received in mail.

May 29th 2013- Service request, as outside of processing times.

June 25th 2013- Green card/EAD stamp received in passport. Green card production ordered!

July 5th 2013- Green card arrives :)

August 22nd 2014- Daughter Born!

April 17th 2015- I-751 Sent.

April 20th 2015- NOA 1

June 2nd 2015- Biometrics Appt.

February 2nd 2016- I-751 APPROVED! 10 Year Green card issued!

February 22nd 2019 Applied for Citizenship! 

March 14th 2019 - Biometrics appt.

April 23rd 2019 - Interview. APPROVED!!!!!  It took 60 days!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Experiment? Wow you got the courage to experiment with your status. :P

Edited by Nevin

-----Adjustment of Status for both Parents-----------------------------------------------

05/11/2018: Mailed documents I130, I485, I131,I693, NBC for Adjustment of Status

05/16/2018: Received Date/ Priority Date - NOA Received

05/25/2018: Received NOA Bio-metrics for I485 Appt: 06/10/2018

06/10/2018: Bio-metrics are completed

06/12/2018: Received RFE requesting for a Birth Certificate for both parents

07/28/2018: Responded to RFE, sent their non availability of birth certificate copy

08/02/2018: Online status changed to " Request for Evidence was Received"

08/29/2018: Made an info pass appointment requesting for expediting Travel document as parents had to travel India. Expedite request was rejected 

09/14/2018: I131 Parole document was Approved

I wouldn't 'experiment' with something as important as this. And yes you know your marriage is legit, but the person sitting behind the desk only has what you sent in to go on and doesn't know you from Adam!

A bold move to 'try to help others'. But I would advise others to send everything they have that is relevant for evidence :)

Lol, we wasn't trying to be bold. We just sent what we had at the time. And we was thinking that we'd be interviewed like the first time. We probably had less evidence the first time than this time. Actually I know we had less evidence.

I honestly think everyone over thinks this part of the process. I mean if a couple is able to adjust their status then there shouldn't be ANY reason that said couple should not get approved for removal of conditions. Under normal circumstances.

It's naive to think that because your marriage is legitimate, the officer automatically will think so too. Lots of legitimate couples are denied visas and ROCs all the time. It's silly to risk deportation like that.

ROC from CR-1 visa (Green Card expiration date was Nov 24th 2016)

Link to the evidence I submitted. Be sure to send evidence spanning your entire marriage (especially for K-1) or as far back as you can. Just one or two bank statements will not cut it. I primarily focused on the two years of living here since I came in on a CR-1. If you don't have the fundamentals (i.e. joint accounts/policies), you can explain why in the covering letter. E.g. "While we do not have joint utilities, we both contribute to them from our joint bank account".

September 26th 2016: I-751 package sent to CSC

September 28th 2016: Package delivered
September 30th 2016: Check cashed
October 3rd 2016: NOA1 received with receipt date of 09/28/16
November 3rd 2016: Biometrics received with appointment date of 11/14/16.
November 14th 2016: Attended biometrics appointment
October 30th 2017: Infopass appointment to get I-551 stamp
February 26th 2018: I-751 case number (aka the NOA1 receipt number) becomes trackable
March 14th 2018: Submitted service request due to being outside of processing time.

March 15th 2018: ROC approved. 535 days (1 year, 5 months and 17 days)

March 29th 2018: Card being produced

April 4th 2018: Card mailed out

April 6th 2018: Card in hand. Has incorrect "resident since" date. Submitted service request on I-751 case (typographical error on permanent resident card) and an I-90 online.

April 2018 - August 7th 2018: Tons of service requests, emails and now senator involvement to get my corrected green card back because what the heck, USCIS. Also some time in May I sent a letter to Potomac telling them I want to withdraw my I-90 since CSC were handling it.

August 8th 2018: Card in production thanks to the direct involvement of Senator Sherrod Brown's team

August 13th 2018: Card mailed

August 15th 2018: Card in hand with correct date. :joy:

October 31st 2018: Potomac sends out a notice stating they have closed out my I-90 per my request. Yay for no duplicate card drama.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.