OcculusFive

Met a woman, but 90 days isn't enough

60 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I will go beyond that and say no chance in the foreseeable future.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Be very careful what information you receive here. A lot is dead wrong and cringe worthy. First getting a visa to enter the US from Colombia is much easier and soon will not be required under the newly signed agreement between the US and Colombia. Second it's very possible you can get a K-1 visa with only knowing her for 90 days as long as you meet the K-1 requirements. You don't need a lawyer, just research here how others have done it. Have her apply for a visa to enter the US. I would be surprised if she was denied under the current standards as my wife's entire family were approved after being denied in the past, some several times. Your biggest concern should be personal and that is spending enough time so that you really know this girl. That won't happen in 90 days, 180 days, 6 months, 9 months, it takes years. I will give you a word of advice, a lot more marriages that start on this board crash and burn then you realize. Walk slowly and wisely.

"Second it's very possible you can get a K-1 visa with only knowing her 90 days..."

Yes this is true, but, he said he knew her for a week, not 90 days. When he says 90 days I've interpreted that as meaning he thinks with K-1 he will have 90 days with her to decide if he wants to marry her, which isnt how K-1 works...

The total amount of days from the date I mailed in our K1 Visa application to the day my fiancé stepped foot into the USA:

1 year, 3 months and 8 days.

The amount of days from the date we mailed in our AOS to the date everything was approved (after 3 RFEs):

7 months & 5 days

Which makes our journey a total of:

2 years, 3 months, and 8 days

(L)"I remember the days I prayed for everything I have now." (L)

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

As I said before be careful what you read here....this post/ statement is total bull by-product which has no factual support just a persons opinion. In the years on this board it never changes be careful people. Research! Be very cautious what advise you take here!!!!

US begins process of visa waiver for Colombians: Santos Jun 18, 2014

http://colombiareports.co/us-begins-process-visa-waver-colombians-santos/

Did you read the part where it said this would be "a long process?"

Not gonna happen any time soon.

Timeline

The process itself if you think of it as just amending systems to include another country would be very quick.

The process presumably means getting to the point where there is eligibility, which may be never.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Libya
Timeline

You met a woman in Bogata last week and is already considering engagement and K-1 visa?!?!?! That is gonna be a big red flag for US immigrations, not to mention the language barrier you two have. Your best bet is definitely to spend some more time together and the F-1 sounds like a good plan. That way, you can get to know each other better and she can learn English. Both of which will help you with a potential future immigration process.

Not necessarily. My fiance and I also decided to marry quickly after we met (one month). We also have a language barrier but are able to communicate what is needed. We were approved for K1 visa. It just depends on your evidence.

19-Sept-14: I-129F Delivered

23-Sept-14: NOA1 (I-797C ~ Texas Lockbox accepted I-129F)

24-Sept-14: NOA1 (E-mail & Text)

Sent to California Service Center

3-Nov-14: Requested expedite by mailed letter with UN Human Rights Reports (Humanitarian Situation)

14-Nov-14: NOA2 (I-129F Petition Approved ~ E-mail & Text)

1-Dec-14: NVC Received Case

2-Dec-14: NVC Case Number Assigned

9-Dec-14: Embassy Received

3-Feb-15: "Package 3" Received/Turned In

25-Feb-15: "Package 4" - Received Interview Date

19-Mar-15: Interview ~ Approved

27-Mar-15: Visa Issued

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Be very careful what information you receive here. A lot is dead wrong and cringe worthy. First getting a visa to enter the US from Colombia is much easier and soon will not be required under the newly signed agreement between the US and Colombia. Second it's very possible you can get a K-1 visa with only knowing her for 90 days as long as you meet the K-1 requirements. You don't need a lawyer, just research here how others have done it. Have her apply for a visa to enter the US. I would be surprised if she was denied under the current standards as my wife's entire family were approved after being denied in the past, some several times. Your biggest concern should be personal and that is spending enough time so that you really know this girl. That won't happen in 90 days, 180 days, 6 months, 9 months, it takes years. I will give you a word of advice, a lot more marriages that start on this board crash and burn then you realize. Walk slowly and wisely.

--

I agree that not all info thrown around on VJ is correct. A lot is experience and opinion, but it sounds like yours is, too. Just because it was easy for your family to get a visa doesn't mean anyone can just easily get one. Depending on the visa, sometimes a person has to prove financial stability or with tourist visas, country 'ties'. Not everyone can do this. I know a lot of people in Ecuador who applied for visas, but the ones who obtained them were people who made 'good money' and could prove that they had a stable life in Ecuador to return to (specifically tourist visas, since they want proof that you won't try to stay in America illegally by demonstrating ties to your country.) Again, this is my own experience, but more often than not it seems a little more difficult to obtain non immigrant visas than you may be implying (as someone mentioned with a low visa approval rating specifically in Colombia).

No need to get upset with anyone here, though. We aren't saying it's totally impossible. Just maybe not favorable in this situation.

Edited by SantyAndAllie

K-1 Visa

♥ 10/2/14- I-129F form sent
♥ 10/3/14- USCIS received I-129F
♥ 10/7/14- NOA1
4/24/15- NOA2 [6.5 months; 199 days]
♥ 5/11/15- NVC received & case number assigned
5/13/15- NVC left
5/14/15- Consulate received & ready for interview
6/15/15- Interview- APPROVED!!

7/10/15- Visa in hand

7/11/15- POE

7/14/15- Marriage (Civil)

AOS

7/20/15- AOS/EAD/AP sent together

7/23/15- NOA1 for all 3

8/17/15- Biometrics

8/31/15- Expedited AP document (all in one day)

9/22/15- EAD NOA2

9/30/15- Received EAD/AP combo card

11/20/15- AOS NOA2 (no interview)

11/25/15- Green card received! Woohoo!!!

"Can my fiance(e) visit on VWP while awaiting K-1 visa?"
Check out our recent experience coming through JFK on VWP here!

*Fellow Ecuamerican couples: All info you need to know--

Concise post NOA-2 steps, advice, & consulate info here!*

al6ryq.png

Allie & Santy

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Effects of major family changes on immigration benefits is a good section to read to learn about other peoples problems.

http://www.uscis.gov/family/family-us-citizens/fiancee-visa/fiancee-visas

Tells all about the K-1 requirements and current processing times. The Latin American section of this board tells how difficult it is to get married in Colombia.

As a US citizen, super easy for me to visit Colombia, but not the reverse for a person to come here. If they relaxed the visa requirements to come here, its news to me, but sure going to look into it.

It's automatically assumed that person is going to come here, we took the time to learn each others countries to come to a mutual decision. One or the other has to leave their families behind. And speaking about families, this also requires time for each of you to meet and learn about each others family. Marriages can be broken up by the family. All this takes time and certainly not provided by this idiotic K1 visa.

Ha, not even 90 days to make this critical decision, in Wisconsin, takes at least two weeks to get a marriage license approved and more time to make an appointment for a civil marriage. Ha, could be another problem depending on the religious background of the family insisting on a church wedding, that can take from six months to a year before this happens. For a civil wedding depending on your state, for us was more like 68 days.

At least my girl had a B1/B2 visa, so we could spend lots of time together, those plane tickets sure added up and trying to get time off of work. Certainly heard enough from my family, she is only marrying you to come here. But over time, that sure changed. K1 doesn't give time.

Another thing you quickly learn about the USCIS, not only the most expensive government agency we have, but positively the slowest. We were darn sure we wanted to get married, but still took another year. Good thing was, we stuck it out.

Forget about our Statue of Liberty bring your poor here, have to prove to the USCIS you can support that person for the next ten years at 25% above the poverty level.

Now all this jazz on the news about religious freedom, not only for businesses, but should include the USCIS as well.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

***Three off topic posts and one bickering post removed along with another one post quoting. The majority of this discussion has remained on point, please keep it that way or appropriate measures will be imposed.***

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

All this started in 1986 with severe limits on immigration, either to win the lottery where you are the lucky one in fifty thousand, or to marry a US citizen. The latter caused a lot of fraud.

Really get a kick out of the requirements for a K1 visa.

"You met each other, in person, at least once within 2 years of filing your petition. There are two exceptions that require a waiver:
1. If the requirement to meet would violate strict and long-established customs of your or your fiancé(e)’s foreign culture or social practice.
2. If you prove that the requirement to meet would result in extreme hardship to you."

So can marry a person that you have never met before and within 90 days of meeting. To me, this is an invitation for fraud, but to overcome it, came out with a $250,000 fine, 5 years in prison, or both for the US citizen. Ha, just happens to be the same exact penalty for copying a DVD.

Then in 1988 came out with that I-751, removal of conditions. With all we went through during the adjustment stage, and all the proof of a long term relationship, wife was only given a two year conditional card. This was the worse phase of our journey, while we submitted an inch thick of evidence, long delays in processing and sent in this stack precisely 90 days before her conditional expired. Receive a one year extension notice that also expired. So had to drive another 450 miles to get an I-551 stamp in her current foreign passport to keep her legal.

Also prompted us to apply for US citizenship for her at the earliest date. She finally received her ten year card between the time of her interview and her oath ceremony, but only to give it back.

Another shock we had with a brand new US passport she received, would not admit her to Colombia so she visit her mom. We argued this with their POE for an hour, already dead tired from that long trip, the only way we could do this was to enter Colombia. Instead of enjoying a vacation, spend most of the time renewing her Colombian ID that they won't let us do by ourselves, had to hire a notary for $1,500.00. They sure love US dollars to do this for us. But wanted another thousand under the table as an expedient fee as they call it. But we refused this, but received all the applications so we could leave.

This seemed in complete contradiction to her oath at the USCIS, but not dealing with the USCIS anymore, but the state department.

Posting this so you can know in advance what you are in for. Now we have to maintain two passports for her so she can visit her mom. She can enter okay, but cannot leave, she has to also show her US passport because she can no longer have visa to enter the US. State department

demands she shows her place of birth in Colombia.

USCIS told us she is a US citizen just like she was born here, not exactly true. Gave me another thought, no one has a choice as to where you were born, but sure hold it against you. For me, she is one in a million and well worth the effort.

Timeline

You are complaining that Colombia treat her as a USC when seeking entry with a US passport?

I would have thought most countries do this, certainly the UK does.

US is slightly different in insisting its citizens enter with their US passport.

As far as where you are born, well that never changes.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You are complaining that Colombia treat her as a USC when seeking entry with a US passport?

US is slightly different in insisting its citizens enter with their US passport.

No he's complaining they won't treat her like a USC, they make her keep her Colombia ID up to date and get out as much money out of them as possible. She has to enter not as a USC.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline

So basically the same requirements that the US has.

Timeline

Ha, went around in circles with my senator and the DOS on this issue, of course didn't go anywhere with it. DOS says it is used for identification, like she doesn't have a unique SS and alien number, plus a photo ID, several of them as a matter of fact.

She had no choice where she was born, but sure had a choice of which country she wanted to belong to and take an oath to this effect. Can't change where you were born, but sure can change which country you want to be dedicated to.

They could omit the country, just the city, but only two Bogota's in the entire world.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

One New Yorker to another, there's language schools all over the city. She has to get approved for a visa, doesn't hurt to try so she should apply, then she can do the school route thus converting to an F1 visa. When applying at the school they'll ask her for proof of funds, sponsorship, how much is in the bank and where she's staying. If you've got that covered and she's willing to give it a shot, I don't see why not. I'd say check out some of the schools and its requirements. All the best!

Timeline

Real easy for natural born citizen with a US passport to enter Columbia, should know, did it enough times, just stamp your passport, but with 300 passengers on some planes, expect a long line. Don't even inspect your luggage, but watch for those cab drivers, they try to pull your luggage out of your hand.

But it wasn't easy for my wife to be to come here, reason she had a B1/B2 visa, she had a couple of kids, good paying job, and owned property. But since she was coming from Colombia would be strip searched for drugs. But after we were married with a green card, and traveled with me, they wouldn't dare do this.

Was also very easy for her niece to come here, wife's sister was well to do and could afford out of state tuition in advance for a student visa, she actually has a US degree, met a very wonderful guy while here, but when her term was up, had to go back. They would not issue her a B1/B2 visa, so her husband to be had to apply for a K1 to bring her back. Universities, would issue a visa in an instant if you had the cash.

We joked about that Statue of Liberty thing, bring us your poor, should change poor to rich.

Wife also needed permission from her ex to bring her 13 year old daughter here, refused, but was seven years in arrears for child support payments and liable for five more years, he was convinced to give his permission for forgiveness of that huge debt. But this had to be done in their courts of laws. Would have taken years to get this done unless I paid an expedient fee to their Miami bank accounts. That I did, was done on a Thursday afternoon, court was held in session the next morning.

Language was never an issue until the citizenship stage. Wife was very proficient with the written word, stepdaughter was lost. Spent literally hours with her helping her with her homework and with my wife in pronunciation. Ha, called me their English teacher, but they did have some problems at their citizenship interview, both of their interviewers were naturalized citizens that were extremely poor at the English language. I had a great deal of difficulty understanding them myself.

Both took college courses here, and both were on the high honor roll, very proud of my girls. And both know a lot more about our government than any of our relatives or friends that were born here.

For the OP, guess you will have to travel down there, and this doesn't end here, after all of this immigration stuff is over, wife and stepdaughter still want to see there families, and the only way for us to do this, is to go down there, least once or twice a year. Ha, my wife and mother-in-law panic when I say I want to go for a walk, afraid I will get kidnapped or something. Not quite like here, homes are like prisons with all those bars and three doors to open just to get in.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.