diva1209

dallas interview experience

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

What kind of idiot was that at the interview?

You clearly passed. There is only civics, reading and writing but no "speaking" part to pass the interview.

I would complain immediately to the Dallas field director.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

What kind of idiot was that at the interview?

You clearly passed. There is only civics, reading and writing but no "speaking" part to pass the interview.

I would complain immediately to the Dallas field director.

I agree with you that in this case this was just a minor misunderstanding, perhaps caused by a language issue. The description of how the rest of the interview went and The fact that the OP was able to coherently post the question, makes me agree that the interviewer really was being way too harsh.

However, I just wanted to correct you in that there certainly is an official speaking portion of the test. You can find the description on the USCIS policy manual. Based on the description below, I think that the OP should have passed.

http://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume12-PartE-Chapter2.html

1. Speaking Test​

An officer determines an applicants ability to speak and understand English based on the applicants ability to respond to questions normally asked in the course of the naturalization examination. The officers questions relate to eligibility and include questions provided in the naturalization application.​ [7] The officer should repeat and rephrase questions during the naturalization examination until the officer is satisfied that the applicant either understands the questions or does not understand English.​

An applicant​ who does not qualify for a waiver of the English requirement​ must be able to communicate in English about his or her application and eligibility for naturalization. An applicant does not need to understand every word or phrase on the application.​

Passing the Speaking Test​

If the applicant generally understands and responds meaningfully to questions relevant to his or her naturalization eligibility, then he or she has sufficiently demonstrated the ability to speak English. ​

Failing the Speaking Test​

An applicant fails the speaking test when he or she does not understand sufficient English to be placed under oath or to answer the eligibility questions on his or her naturalization application.​

The officer must still administer all other parts of the naturalization test, including the portions on reading, writing, and civics.​

An officer cannot offer or accept a withdrawal of a naturalization application from an applicant who does not speak English unless the applicant has an interpreter present who is able to clearly understand the consequences of withdrawing the application.​ [8] ​

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Timeline

Passing the Speaking Test​

If the applicant generally understands and responds meaningfully to questions relevant to his or her naturalization eligibility, then he or she has sufficiently demonstrated the ability to speak English. ​

And someone has cleary shown the ability after he listened to and answered the civics questions.

Most people at USCIS are simply jerks.

Edited by Buckyball

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

And someone has cleary shown the ability after he listened to and answered the civics questions.

Most people at USCIS are simply jerks.

I agree with the first part.

I'd change the second part to "some" instead of "most" but the interviewer in question sounds like he falls into this category.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Filed: Timeline

You failed the interview. If you cannot understand the question " Have you ever registered to vote" in English, I am afraid that you indeed do not meet the requirements for fluency in English. You'll get another interview in 60 days.

I wonder how you managed to live in the US for at least 5 years and yet cannot answer a simple question in English....It blows my mind! :wow:

There are a lot of English classes available for free everywhere... I am Canadian so of course, I speak English, but I also learned Spanish from scratch and can carry on an advanced conversation in Spanish and understand it all. I've never even lived in a Spanish Speaking country. Mind you, Texas could qualify but I never really speak Spanish here.

Hopefully this is a wake up call and you will do better at learning the language of the country whose citizenship you wish to acquire.

You were little harsh and judgmental on OP. The IO should not fail him, Instead should have ask him in English again that " Did you ever register to vote ". I think its okay to ask in English slowly and twice. Why would IO start in Spanish after one attempt? This is English test not Spanish test.

Sorry OP, i hope you get it the next time and i am sure you will do.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

i received an email saying that i was placed inline for interview, i know when he called me in to his office he asked me to raise my right hand and then he said to swear to tell the truth blah blah he said have you may seat down then he said you ready for civics questions i said yes sir, he said great he asked i answered then he asked me to read who lives in the white house and asked me to write the president lives in the white house, he asked me if i ever claimed to be a us citizen nd i missed understood and said why i would like to become one any ways he then repeat it but i was so distracted so he said to me in spanish what he asked me then i said no never but he said that i had to asked u in english not in spanish so he said i'll be scheduled a 2nd interview, i am so ready for this journey to be over how long am i going to wait for interview notice any idea anyone

Timeline

So what are these morons want to ask at the 2nd interview? You passed all tests already. I would send a written complain about the whiole thing to:

Department of Homeland Security
Attn: Office of the Inspector General
245 Murray Drive, Building 410 Stop: 2600
Washington, D.C. 20528

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.