diva1209

dallas interview experience

22 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

i went in for my interview this morning and was called at 1015 officer asked me 1.where is the capital of united states

2. who is the commander in chief of the military

3.what are two mayor political parties in the united states 4. what are two cabinet level positions? 5. the house of representatives has how many voting members? 6. what is the political party of the president now?

then he asked me to read what month is colombus day wrote down colombus day is in october.

great you passed then he asked me have you ever register to vote in the us i said yes i love to i missed understood the question then he repeated it in spanish i said no never he said it was a no yes answer and i asked you in english he said you will have a other opportunity to be tested in speaking english in 60 days you should receive an interview notice.

what i answered all civics questions and read and wrote a english sentance what does he mean to be tested in speaking english interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

i went in for my interview this morning and was called at 1015 officer asked me 1.where is the capital of united states

2. who is the commander in chief of the military

3.what are two mayor political parties in the united states 4. what are two cabinet level positions? 5. the house of representatives has how many voting members? 6. what is the political party of the president now?

then he asked me to read what month is colombus day wrote down colombus day is in october.

great you passed then he asked me have you ever register to vote in the us i said yes i love to i missed understood the question then he repeated it in spanish i said no never he said it was a no yes answer and i asked you in english he said you will have a other opportunity to be tested in speaking english in 60 days you should receive an interview notice.

what i answered all civics questions and read and wrote a english sentance what does he mean to be tested in speaking english interview

Sorry to hear that

He decided that you did not pass the English language requirement and so you did not pass the interview. They will send you another interview letter soon. They may do the whole interview again or just the English speaking part; it's up to the interviewer.

If you fail the second interview, you will have to start a new application and file a new N400.

There are three parts to the English test: reading, writing, and speaking. The speaking part is tested by your ability to answer questions during the interview.

Edited by JimmyHou

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

You failed the speaking part. As mentioned above, they will send another letter to interview.

:yes:Intelligence trumps muscle... Imagination trumps both! :yes:

IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Service Center : Nebraska Service Center
Consulate : Cd. Juarez, Mexico
Met: January, 2006 :D
Marriage (if applicable): 2012-10-26 (L)
I-130 Sent : 2014-08-01
I-130 NOA1 : 2014-08-04

I-130 NOA2 : 2015-05-14

Shipped to DoS: 2015-05-22

Received at NVC: 2015-06-01

Case Created at NVC: 2015-06-10 (from Julian Date calculation)

AOS and IV Fee Invoiced: 2015-06-11
AOS and IV Fee Paid: Website down as of 06-15... Just waiting...
AOS and IV Fee Paid: 2015-07-05 CEAC site finally UP! :dancing:

AOS and Civil Docs received at NVC: 2015-10-13

NVC checklist for obsolete i864: 2015-11-25

Submit updated i864: ?????? when my lawyer desires... :clock:
Submit updated i864: Did NOT wait for lawywer. Did it myself 2015-12-10
NVC received reply to checklist i864: 2015-12-10 (yes.. same day O.O)

NVC case completed: 2016-01-07
NVC assigned interview date: 2016-01-23
Interview at CJS consulate: 2016-03-30

Visa "Issued": 2016-04-05
Entered the US: 2016-04-27

SSN Arrived: 2016-05-07 ... wow TEN days!

N-400

Filed Online: 2020-06-30

NOA: 2020-07-01

Biometrics Letter: 2021-04-08
Biometrics Appointment: 2021-05-03
Interview Scheduled/Cancelled: 2021-06-25 (never received online nor mail notification, just an email reply to tier 2 inquiry about status)

Interview ReScheduled: 2021-11-02

Interview Date: 2021-11-30

Oath ceremony Scheduled/Cancelled/Placed in Line: 2021-12-01
Oath: 2022-1-24 ... JOURNEY OVER! 😺

event.png

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You failed the interview. If you cannot understand the question " Have you ever registered to vote" in English, I am afraid that you indeed do not meet the requirements for fluency in English. You'll get another interview in 60 days.

I wonder how you managed to live in the US for at least 5 years and yet cannot answer a simple question in English....It blows my mind! :wow:

There are a lot of English classes available for free everywhere... I am Canadian so of course, I speak English, but I also learned Spanish from scratch and can carry on an advanced conversation in Spanish and understand it all. I've never even lived in a Spanish Speaking country. Mind you, Texas could qualify but I never really speak Spanish here.

Hopefully this is a wake up call and you will do better at learning the language of the country whose citizenship you wish to acquire.

N400

Oct 23, 2014: NOA 1

Yellow letter date: October 27, 2014

Biometrics: November 7, 2014

In line for interview: November 10, 2014

Interview scheduled! (email notification): March 23, 2014

Interview letter received: March 25th

Interview: April 24th

In line for Oath: April 27th

Oath: June 23rd

Proud to be an American!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

yes but good thing is that not being tested on civics or reading writing portion just maintaining a conversation with the officer, thank you i'll patiently wait for the letter, but can i travel to mexico i'm planning to go in 2 weeks or so, will it be ok

A little harsh there tocca2015. Ever been to Quebec City?

OP, it sucks that you misunderstood the question. At least he didn't ask you if you've ever been a member of a terrorist group.

English being my fourth language, I usually ask people to repeat themselves if I even have the slightest doubt. Next time, I know you'll rock the test.

Feel. The. Bern.

Timeline

A little harsh there tocca2015. Ever been to Quebec City?

OP, it sucks that you misunderstood the question. At least he didn't ask you if you've ever been a member of a terrorist group.

English being my fourth language, I usually ask people to repeat themselves if I even have the slightest doubt. Next time, I know you'll rock the test.

Hey Dario,

I don't think I'm too harsh... I find it weird that someone would want to take on citizenship of a country and does not understand the basic tenets of that country's official language. It's a commentary on the large population of people who move to the US, and in this case Texas, and never bother to learn English. I have many immigrants friends who came to the US or Canada and knew no English and while they were in the 40's, they made the effort to learn it and all know enough English now to fully participate in life here.

As for Quebec City, yes I have been and it was lovely! In terms of people not speaking English in Quebec City, let us not compare apples and oranges as French is an official legal language in Canada, while Spanish might be common in the US but but it's not an official language. OP would be well advised to become fluent in English for his/her own benefit.

N400

Proud to be an American!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Tocca --

You are harsh to a fault, and maybe more, but let's not go down that path. Take you strong opinions to another part of the VJ site where you can vent all you want. The rest of us feel bad for Diva, and are here to lend support and make suggestions.

Filed: Timeline

Hey Dario,

I don't think I'm too harsh... I find it weird that someone would want to take on citizenship of a country and does not understand the basic tenets of that country's official language. It's a commentary on the large population of people who move to the US, and in this case Texas, and never bother to learn English. I have many immigrants friends who came to the US or Canada and knew no English and while they were in the 40's, they made the effort to learn it and all know enough English now to fully participate in life here.

As for Quebec City, yes I have been and it was lovely! In terms of people not speaking English in Quebec City, let us not compare apples and oranges as French is an official legal language in Canada, while Spanish might be common in the US but but it's not an official language. OP would be well advised to become fluent in English for his/her own benefit.

It seems like you are the only person I've heard of, who never misunderstood another. Easy to judge someone and the situation not even being there and witnessing it. From the posts above seems like the English skills are good enough to fully participate in life here. So yes, u are too harsh. I know it is hard being open minded, but try coz karma is a b.....ch!

Timeline

I highly doubt the officer would have failed the OP if it was clear he/she simply misunderstood...For example, if, I, a fluent English speaker said "pardon me, I didn't get that?" I doubt if I would have been failed for not speaking English...Lets be real here :)

And yes karma is a wonderful thing, it's treated me quite well, I hope your life is as wonderful as mine. VJ is indeed

a supportive community -->I support the OP and strongly encourage him or her to learn English fluently so that she or he may have better opportunities the very best country in the world.

Thank you all for your lovely comments!

N400

Proud to be an American!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hey Dario,

Just an FYI: English is not the official language of the United States. The United States has no official language. There've been repeated attempts, especially recently with the anti-immigration crowd, to pass a bill declaring English as the official language of the nation, but all attempts thus far have failed.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Filed: Timeline

And yes karma is a wonderful thing, it's treated me quite well, I hope your life is as wonderful as mine. VJ is indeed

a supportive community -->I support the OP and strongly encourage him or her to learn English fluently so that she or he may have better opportunities the very best country in the world.

Thank you all for your lovely comments!

Yes, agree about karma, a wonderful thing!

Wow! It seems like you are more American than Americans themselves. I will leave it at that....

Hope that the creator of that topic will have a better luck next time!

Before we lose the forest for the trees, Tocca, I think you've made some great points. Enjoying life in America and reaping all the rewards it offers is certainly enhanced many times over when one speaks, reads and writes English well. We are all in agreement.

However, the question the officer asked the OP is particularly insidious. It is in fact part of the N-400 application and could lead to denial of the application and not just failing the "speaking" portion of the interview. Here it is for reference:

"Have you ever registered to vote in any Federal, State, or local election in the United States?"

The emphasis is not mine, it is part of the application. Now imagine in a thick Midwestern, East Texas or Boston accent being asking the question. It's not hard to be confused.

What I am wondering about is why that question to test fluency in English. It's like being asked at a US/Canada border crossing if you have ever smuggled cocaine just to find out if you understand English.

I highly doubt the officer would have failed the OP if it was clear he/she simply misunderstood...For example, if, I, a fluent English speaker said "pardon me, I didn't get that?" I doubt if I would have been failed for not speaking English...Lets be real here :)

Edited by Dario2012

Feel. The. Bern.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

You failed the interview. If you cannot understand the question " Have you ever registered to vote" in English, I am afraid that you indeed do not meet the requirements for fluency in English. You'll get another interview in 60 days.

I wonder how you managed to live in the US for at least 5 years and yet cannot answer a simple question in English....It blows my mind! :wow:

There are a lot of English classes available for free everywhere... I am Canadian so of course, I speak English, but I also learned Spanish from scratch and can carry on an advanced conversation in Spanish and understand it all. I've never even lived in a Spanish Speaking country. Mind you, Texas could qualify but I never really speak Spanish here.

Hopefully this is a wake up call and you will do better at learning the language of the country whose citizenship you wish to acquire.

Harsh much, judgmental much? The OP MISUNDERSTOOD a question. There is no reason to make them feel any worse than they already do.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.