AverysMom

Don't Settle For AP Without Getting A Congressman Involved!

55 posts in this topic

Okay so long story semi-short: my fiancé had his 3/3. He was approved and told to bring his medical results to the VAC once he picked them up. He did not have them in time for the interview but they would be ready after the interview was conducted so this is why he was advised this.

He picked up the results and brought them to the VAC and then the waiting game began for us to get ready for the email that stated his visa was ready for pick-up. Three weeks later and we were still waiting for that email. I made numerous calls to USTRAVELDOCS and all they told me was that we were in AP and to wait for further instruction and it should be over in 60 days. When I asked why I wasn't able to track the passport they said "you can't? well you should be able to." ?

Finally I took the advice of another VJer (ILoveMyMan) and emailed my Congressman directly. Luckily we already have been working together since the USCIS stage (thanks to my weekly emails complaining about the TSC/CSC timeframe discrepancies) so I didn't have to worry about filling out a release form or waiting for someone to respond.

When I emailed her about being in AP she said it's normal for some cases and she can't inquire on my behalf until the 60 days passed. I was so tired of hearing this so I took a different angle, I also mentioned to her I didn't mind waiting but the fact that I couldn't track the passport ("there is no status update for the passport number submitted..") I asked if she could at least get me a location of the passport while I "wait". Since before it said it was still at embassy/consulate and now it said "no status".

She emailed me back two days later with the response from the embassy. The told her that on 3/10 they contacted me to tell me that my fiancé needed to bring his birth certificate. This makes sense because on the CEAC site it said last updated 3/10 however, I WAS NEVER CONTACTED FOR THIS! I asked my fiancé did he bring it to the interview and he said yes but now we think he didn't bring the "Acta Extensa (long version" they were looking for and this was causing the hold up. My congressman said go bring it and let her know so she can call her contact and let them know its been delivered so we can have him here ASAP! Maybe within a week!

All in all, I am happy I did not settle for this AP status because sometimes the embassy needs something from you and have "contacted" you but of course you never heard anything from them. Now I know some people have real reasons for being in AP (security checks, background checks etc) but make sure you don't wait a long time before finding out exactly why. You never know, they could be missing something as simple as a birth certificate. I would've waited 60 days and still have not heard anything from them...and would've been waiting in vain!

The total amount of days from the date I mailed in our K1 Visa application to the day my fiancé stepped foot into the USA:

1 year, 3 months and 8 days.

The amount of days from the date we mailed in our AOS to the date everything was approved (after 3 RFEs):

7 months & 5 days

Which makes our journey a total of:

2 years, 3 months, and 8 days

(L)"I remember the days I prayed for everything I have now." (L)

Filed: EB-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Well done, AverysMom!

EB-1A Extraordinary Ability green card, premium processing, consular processing from abroad

WHEN WHO WHAT

15.01.15 attorney: filed my petition I-140 to USCIS (Texas)
22.01.15 attorney: received my approval notice I-797 from USCIS

22.01.15 me: filed for police certificates from Department of Justice in three countries

05.02.15 USCIS: mailed the case to NVC

26.02.15 Departments of Justice: mailed police certificates to me

26.02.15 NVC: issued case number and invoice ID
26.02.15 me: paid IV fee
02.03.15 NVC: IV fee online status: paid
02.03.15 me: completed DS-260 form
02.03.15 me: mailed civil documents to NVC (DHL)
06.03.15 NVC: received my civil documents (DHL tracking), NVC scan date
10.03.15 NVC: confirmed the reception and scan date, informed about 60 days processing delay

10.03.15 me: completed medical exam and mailed it to the Consulate (DHL)

11.03.15 me: called the congressman office

16.03.15 congressman office: e-mailed an expedite request to NVC

16.03.15 Consulate: received my medical exam (DHL tracking)

20.03.15 NVC: forwarded the expedite request to the U.S. Consulate in Frankfurt, Germany

30.03.15 Consulate: approved the expedite request (per e-mail response to me)

30.03.15 Consulate: confirmed the reception of my medical exam

31.03.15 NVC: acknowledged the approved expedite request (per e-mail to the congressman office)

01.04.15 NVC: e-mailed me about the approved expedite request

06.04.15 NVC: CEAC status "In Transit"

08.04.15 Consulate: received the files from NVC (DHL tracking)

09.04.15 NVC: CEAC status "Ready"

13.04.15 me: emailed the Consulate to check on the status

15.04.15 Consulate: confirmed receiving the physical files from NVC

15.04.15 Consulate: asked for the original civil documents

15.04.15 me: mailed the original civil documents (DHL)

16.04.15 Consulate: received the original civil documents (DHL tracking)

20.04.15 Consulate: issued an Interview Letter

29.04.15 me: interview: IV approved

21.05.15 NVC: CEAC status "Issued"

23.05.15 me: IV in passport received

23.05.15 me: ELIS paid

23.05.15 me: Point of Entry

Thank you everyone! Hopefully my story can help others. I'm very persistent so giving up was never an option for us. Especially since we have a little one growing bigger and bigger each day ?

The total amount of days from the date I mailed in our K1 Visa application to the day my fiancé stepped foot into the USA:

The amount of days from the date we mailed in our AOS to the date everything was approved (after 3 RFEs):

7 months & 5 days

Now that you bring this up I'm worried we may only have the Acta Legalizada and not the Acta Extensa. Can someone tell me what's the difference or do we in fact have the right one?

He did just use his birth certificate to get his passport.

Now that you bring this up I'm worried we may only have the Acta Legalizada and not the Acta Extensa. Can someone tell me what's the difference or do we in fact have the right one?

This is what happened with my fiancé he thought they were one in the same and that he would be fine since he was able to get his passport with it, big mistake! He didn't know the difference either but now he does so definitely double check! :)

7 months & 5 days

This is what happened with my fiancé he thought they were one in the same and that he would be fine since he was able to get his passport with it, big mistake! He didn't know the difference either but now he does so definitely double check! :)

Thank you so much for clearing that up for me. I will make sure he gets the right one immediately!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

So true! We didnt have a good interview and "just in case" I wrote our Senator and they contacted the embassy on our behalf and within 30 days we had our visa in hand. They ended up helping us 4 years later also.

“You cannot enter heaven until you believe, and you will not truly believe until you (truly) love one another.” [Muslim, Al-Iman (Faith); 93]

No problem! I'm happy my experience can/will help others. Best of luck with everything!

7 months & 5 days

So true! We didnt have a good interview and "just in case" I wrote our Senator and they contacted the embassy on our behalf and within 30 days we had our visa in hand. They ended up helping us 4 years later also.

I wish there was more transparency and we could contact the embassy ourselves and get the same answers but unfortunately that's not the case, I'm so happy that Congressmen/Senators are very responsive.

Edited by AverysMom

7 months & 5 days

Wow I'm glad things going to be ok my fiancee have the Acta Inextensa is this the right one for the interview?

Yes that's it! You are all set :)

7 months & 5 days

The difference is that "in extensa" is the long version of the birth certificate, and it has information about the parents like full name and "cedula" number. The short version of the birth certificate, is used for school, passports, cedula ext. The In extensa version can be used for the schools etc as well...and both can be legalized.

10/08/2014 - AOS/EAD/AP filed

10/16/2014 - NOAs:

11/18/2014 - Bio. Appointment

11/25/2014 - AOS Update (Ready for Interview)

12/30/2014 - EAD Approved (Card in production)

12/30/2014 - AP Approved

01/06/2015 - EAD/AP Card Mailed

01/07/2015 - EAD/AP Card Received

01/14/2015 - AOS Update (Interview scheduled)

02/18/2015 - AOS Interview (Approved!)

02/18/2015 - AOS Updated (Card is being produced)

02/19/2015 - Welcome Notice Mailed

02/24/2015 - Welcome Notice Received

02/24/2015 - Card mailed

02/27/2015 - GREEN CARD RECEIVED!

12/27/2016 - ROC filed (California Service Center)

12/28/2016 - NOA

01/08/2017 - Bio. Appointment Notice received

01/25/2017 - Bio. Appointment done.

12/12/2017 - I-551 Stamp on passport

06/12/2017 - "Approval Notice" DHS website (notice mailed)

06/12/2018 - Card in production

06/16/2018 - Approval Notice/Notice of Action received in the mail.

06/19/2018 GREEN CARD RECEIVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thanks for this great post.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.