DJConan

Trouble Getting Name Change From Social Security

36 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

So we got the new SS card in the mail with the disired "First OldLast NewLast" :)

After the SS Office said to wait 4w, we did.

First we received a letter 2w stating it's under processing

Then a week later we received the new card with the desire "First OldLast NewLast"

Such a crazy process! My wife, K1 approved w/EAD+AP in hand, is in the same situation as @DJConan described. All we are trying to do is change her existing SSA card from her maiden name to married name. Social Security (SSA) claims to have submitted the name change request in August, after we married. This was before the EAD/AP was approved. We returned in early October to the local SSA office to inquire why months had passed and we still have nothing to show in terms of progress. The SSA employee explained that everything was submitted correctly in their system back in August. However, her materials were still being processed by Department of Homeland Security (USCIS) and only after USCIS completes either the EAD/AP or AOS would the SSA database be updated reflecting that my wife exists with her married name. We took this advice at face value and left the office feeling we made some progress. Unfortunately, we still have nothing from SSA. My wife called SSA twice today to inquire. In both instances the SSA employee said they could provide no info over the phone and to return to our local SSA office to inquire what is going on. Based on your valuable input, we will go back again to the local SSA office with my wife's freshly issued EAD/AP card containing her married name to show she really, truly exists under this name according to the US government! Hopefully SSA will cooperate and realize she can get a revised SSA card issued with her married name.

Anyone else have similar situation to share...especially advice for navigating SSA on this issue?

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Such a crazy process! My wife, K1 approved w/EAD+AP in hand, is in the same situation as @DJConan described.

How did that go? Did you manage to get the updated SS card?

My wife received her green card about a month ago and funny enough, the card does have her middle name that she wanted added. So her SS card and driver's license do not have her middle name, but her green card does. We are going to revisit the SSA and see if we can get her middle name added. If we get through that, the next stop will be with the MVA to get her middle name added.

How did that go? Did you manage to get the updated SS card?

My wife received her green card about a month ago and funny enough, the card does have her middle name that she wanted added. So her SS card and driver's license do not have her middle name, but her green card does. We are going to revisit the SSA and see if we can get her middle name added. If we get through that, the next stop will be with the MVA to get her middle name added.

Big surprise...(sarcasm)...no update from SSA. My wife still has not received an updated SS card. We have been checking the SAVE database and it shows my wife's case was checked and returned back to SSA, so ball is in their court. Given the holidays, we are going to wait until mid-January and see if we receive something in the mail. If nothing by then, back to the local SSA office we shall go...again!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Big surprise...(sarcasm)...no update from SSA. My wife still has not received an updated SS card. We have been checking the SAVE database and it shows my wife's case was checked and returned back to SSA, so ball is in their court. Given the holidays, we are going to wait until mid-January and see if we receive something in the mail. If nothing by then, back to the local SSA office we shall go...again!

I know the feeling. I lost count on how many trips we made to the SSA. It ended up that a particular lady at the SSA knew us as soon as we walked in the door. lol

• 1 month later...

I wanted to follow-up and provide insights for others! FINALLY, months later, my wife's Social Security card issue has been resolved. Needless to say, it took getting a member of Congress and their staff involved to rattle some cages at SSA. My wife received her revised card and we can now move on from the amazingly inefficient and backwards ways of the SSA world.

For anyone in a similar position, if you have tried the suggestions made by other wise VJ members to no avail, I would suggest your next step should be contacting your elected officials. That seemed to do the trick for us.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.