DJConan

Trouble Getting Name Change From Social Security

36 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

This situation seems just crazy. It's like it is set up to fail. Once a K1 applicant marries, the visa has expired; therefore, based on what the SSA is telling me, no K1 applicant can get a name change until a green card is in hand. I have to assume if my wife did not get her SSN before we married, she would not allowed to have a number until after the green card as well. This just does not make any sense.

The EAD will be more helpful as far as waiting goes, I suppose. I guess we will just have her open her accounts in her name and go through the fun process and changing all of those individually when the SSA decides they will update her name.

Might try the public official route, but at the moment, I'm not sure which one to start with.

Thanks for the suggestions!

a K-1 visa holder is allowed to chase after a SSN within 90 days of entry - it's the I-94 doc that applies for lawful presence, K-1 visa foil applies for eligibility. SSA won't process the SSA-5 application past day 74 of POE date, claiming 2 weeks left on entry somehow invalidates their existence.

the name change is best chased after when she has a federal ID in hand noting the name change, not a county-issued state document, as

per the law,

SSA has to perform a lookup on her in the SAVE database. They can't find her in the SAVE database by married name prior to EAD being issued. You made that attempt, without a federal ID showing the change. DualityofOneness made that attempt also (after being warned how fruitless it would be) and he'll write of it often, when he has a chance (such as your topic) so really, the 2 of you are in the exact same boat.

Some USCIS offices are sloppy, not update SAVE after the EAD card is issued, so you are facing a 'he said, she said' situation - in the end, without a lookup on the name in the EAD returning the same name, a SSA clerk has to send it all out for DHS verification (who in turn contacts USCIS to chase the name change document, the EAD card) and this level of DHS verification takes time.

Since it's now obvious to you that using a telephone is useless,

i ask that you get in to a SSA office, with yer wife, and talk with a supervisor.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

she has EAD and ssn in matching names? if yes, she can work. not need a drivers license ! [please study the i-9 document, soonish]

No, the EAD is in her married name. The SSN is in her previous name. We have been trying to get the SSN in her married name since we were married 5 months ago and they will not make the change. This brings up the most important question...can she work if her SSN is in her previous name, but her EAD is in her married name?

She needs a driver's license so she can commute to work. MVA will not allow her to have a driving license with her SSN in previous name while all of her other documents are in her married name.

Timeline

work? no legal issues, include copy of marriage certificate that shows both names, the EAD card and the SSN. it's overkill for the I-9, but you never know the level of competency at the HR office when an I-9 is reviewed.

drivers license pursuit will vary, based on the human at the desk at the DMV during your visit. Typically a supervisor involvement works wonders, a God-like moment in a sea of dunces.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

a K-1 visa holder is allowed to chase after a SSN within 90 days of entry - it's the I-94 doc that applies for lawful presence, K-1 visa foil applies for eligibility. SSA won't process the SSA-5 application past day 74 of POE date, claiming 2 weeks left on entry somehow invalidates their existence.

the name change is best chased after when she has a federal ID in hand noting the name change, not a county-issued state document, as

per the law,

SSA has to perform a lookup on her in the SAVE database. They can't find her in the SAVE database by married name prior to EAD being issued. You made that attempt, without a federal ID showing the change. DualityofOneness made that attempt also (after being warned how fruitless it would be) and he'll write of it often, when he has a chance (such as your topic) so really, the 2 of you are in the exact same boat.

Some USCIS offices are sloppy, not update SAVE after the EAD card is issued, so you are facing a 'he said, she said' situation - in the end, without a lookup on the name in the EAD returning the same name, a SSA clerk has to send it all out for DHS verification (who in turn contacts USCIS to chase the name change document, the EAD card) and this level of DHS verification takes time.

Since it's now obvious to you that using a telephone is useless,

i ask that you get in to a SSA office, with yer wife, and talk with a supervisor.

We have been to the SSA office about 5-6 times and supervisors were present on the last few visits. They tell us that they do not know what the problem is, but it is with the USCIS. They tell us that all they can do is resubmit the information electronically and wait. Apparently, after they submit the information, nothing happens. We visit them again and repeat the entire process.

My wife did manage to get an appointment with the local USCIS office early this morning. Her appointment is for next week. Thanks for mentioning SAVE. I was unaware of what SAVE was until looking it up after you wrote about it. I will have my wife bring up your point and see if she is in the SAVE database correctly.

Timeline

getting in SAVE , properly, is a cool thing, really.

I say go back to SSA office and make a totally new virgin application, today or tomorrow.

Timeline

work? no legal issues, include copy of marriage certificate that shows both names, the EAD card and the SSN. it's overkill for the I-9, but you never know the level of competency at the HR office when an I-9 is reviewed.

drivers license pursuit will vary, based on the human at the desk at the DMV during your visit. Typically a supervisor involvement works wonders, a God-like moment in a sea of dunces.

The driver license experience was worse than this current problem with the SSN. After about 5 visits to the local MVA, we were told 5 different things each time. On the 5th visit, a woman was giving us a real attitude like we were bothering her. I politely went off on her when she gave us different information. She became defensive and asked in an attempt to shut me up, "who told you this? What was their name? When was this?" Fortunately for me, I had a hand written note from the previous visit with instructions written out. I handed her the paper and said, "whoever's handwriting this is on the back of your document...that's the person who told us all of this." Everything I had said to this new person was written out on the paper. She finally changed her attitude with me and became polite.

After getting supervisors involved, they told us that my wife cannot obtain a license or ID card until her Social Security card has her new name printed. We need to bring in proof of residence. So we brought in letters from the USCIS, Social Security Administration and DHS. These letters prove that she lives in the state. However, the USCIS and DHS letters have her new name while her SSN has her old name. So this time, we were told that no license will be issued until her SSN has her new name because that's what they use to issue licenses.

So we gave up on the driving license and have put all of our efforts into the SSN problem.

Timeline

Letter received from the SSA today...

We cannot issue you a Social Security card at this time because:

You have applied for a new status with the Department of Homeland Security. Once your application status with the Department of Homeland Security Changes please contact your local Social Security Administration.

Please contact us when:

You alien status changes, or is renewed, so you can work in the U.S.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

So my case is slightly different.

- We had gotten my fiancee's SS card with her pre-married name matching SAVE

- Then got married.

- Then went to SS office for name change, unfortuantely on the 14th day before I-94 expires :( and SS office said that for name change we have to come back after EAD or at green card time.

Now, Do I file for EAD for name change now?

Or do I file for AOS being married with her original name (not new name)?

We're going to want to get a State ID, then Driving Permit, then apply for local college

What is the preferred next step?

EAD then AOS?

AOS?

Other?

Not concerned about working.

Thanks

Timeline

So my case is slightly different.

- We had gotten my fiancee's SS card with her pre-married name matching SAVE

- Then got married.

- Then went to SS office for name change, unfortuantely on the 14th day before I-94 expires :( and SS office said that for name change we have to come back after EAD or at green card time.

Now, Do I file for EAD for name change now?

Or do I file for AOS being married with her original name (not new name)?

We're going to want to get a State ID, then Driving Permit, then apply for local college

What is the preferred next step?

EAD then AOS?

AOS?

Other?

Not concerned about working.

Thanks

There are other people here who could offer you better information than I ever could, but I do believe most people file for EAD and AOS at the same time. We filed with the new married name when applying for the EAD and AOS. No problems with USCIS on that.

Timeline

We may have found the light at the end of the tunnel. We visited the local USCIS office yesterday and the man there was very friendly and helpful. He said what he thinks the problem is with Social Security is due to my wife adding a middle name. She took her previous name and added it as her middle name when we were married and she took my last name. There were no problems on the USCIS side, but apparently, that pretty much breaks the system at the Social Security office.

The way he explained was something like this...changing the last name due to marriage is no problem; however, adding a middle name is something completely different.

So even though we have filed the EAD (and it was approved) and AOS (still waiting) with my wife having three names, we took the advice from the USCIS man yesterday and dropped her middle name for now. He said we should be able to return to the SSA on Tuesday and get her name changed with them at that time.

We will see what happens on Tuesday.

He also explained that when my wife goes in for her naturalization, she will have an opportunity to change her name for free at that time. So that is where my wife should add her new middle name.

Timeline

We may have found the light at the end of the tunnel. We visited the local USCIS office yesterday and the man there was very friendly and helpful. He said what he thinks the problem is with Social Security is due to my wife adding a middle name. She took her previous name and added it as her middle name when we were married and she took my last name. There were no problems on the USCIS side, but apparently, that pretty much breaks the system at the Social Security office.

The way he explained was something like this...changing the last name due to marriage is no problem; however, adding a middle name is something completely different.

So even though we have filed the EAD (and it was approved) and AOS (still waiting) with my wife having three names, we took the advice from the USCIS man yesterday and dropped her middle name for now. He said we should be able to return to the SSA on Tuesday and get her name changed with them at that time.

He also explained that when my wife goes in for her naturalization, she will have an opportunity to change her name for free at that time. So that is where my wife should add her new middle name.

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Finally a solution. What the USCIS said was true. We went back to the SSA and applied for the name change again. About 2-3 weeks later, my wife received her updated social security card with her new married name. One more hurdle complete and many more to go.

Timeline

Hooray!

• 1 month later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

DJConan,

Where did you change the name from "First OldLast MarriedLast" to "First MarriedLast"?

At the USCIS/SAVE or when applying SS via form SS5?

I think I'm in the same boat.

Got the EAD with "F OL ML",

Went to SS office, filled out form SS5 to change her current SS Card from "First OldLast" to "F OL ML" and he said "no match" and filed and gave me a ref number and said to wait 4weeks (maybe even 6w).

Timeline

DJConan,

Where did you change the name from "First OldLast MarriedLast" to "First MarriedLast"?

At the USCIS/SAVE or when applying SS via form SS5?

I think I'm in the same boat.

Got the EAD with "F OL ML",

Went to SS office, filled out form SS5 to change her current SS Card from "First OldLast" to "F OL ML" and he said "no match" and filed and gave me a ref number and said to wait 4weeks (maybe even 6w).

We applied with the name change after getting married on the AOS. That was accepted by the USCIS without any problems. However, the Social Security Administration could not find the new name from USCIS even though the USCIS assured us there were not problems. After visiting at the local USCIS office, the person there said he could remove the middle/added name from her application and the Social Security Administration should have no problems after that. That is when we were finally able to get my wife a new Social Security Card.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.