apple21

Passport renewal (Phil. Consulate LA)

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi what's the requirments for renewing passport? My passport will expire on 2017, r they still going to put the visa and the CFO sticker Back from the old passport?

No they will not move the visa and CFO from the old passport, they will return the old passport when they send you your new passport. BTW the visa and CFO sticker are not needed anymore you have your green card.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

No they will not move the visa and CFO from the old passport, they will return the old passport when they send you your new passport. BTW the visa and CFO sticker are not needed anymore you have your green card.

Thanks hank

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Yup hank is right. No more visa and cfo on your new passport. They will stamp the old passport "cancelled".

I thought the embassy was strict and would check the CFO stamp and sticker on the old passport before they process the application for new passport?

Check my timeline for K-1 visa & AOS details

Conditional Permanent Resident: 16 September 2014

Conditional GC Expires: 16 September 2016

ROC Journey (CA Service Center)

2016-Sep-14: I-751 form, check, supporting docs sent USPS Priority Express

2016-Sep-15: ROC application received & signed for by Lakelieh

2016-Sep-15: NOA receipt date

2016-Sep-19: $590 check cashed by USCIS

2016-Sep-20: NOA/ 1-year extension letter received in mail

2018-Feb-26: ROC case transferred to local office

2018-Mar-06: ROC approved via USCIS website (WAC status check)

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I thought the embassy was strict and would check the CFO stamp and sticker on the old passport before they process the application for new passport?

No. CFO is only required at immigration in the Philippines if you're bound to the US using your K1 or immigrant visa. After that it's no longer needed. Obviously if you'll renew your Phil passport the first time in the US, the CFO sticker will be on your expired passport. For subsequent renewals, they wouldn't care anymore.

I just renewed my passport at the San Francisco consulate. I submitted:

1. Original passport

2. Photocopy of bio page of passport

3. Completed application form

4. Photocopy of state ID (or valid DL)

The lady at information desk (she checks the documents before giving me a number on ticker tape) asked for a photocopy of my GC. I argued with her that the consulate website only indicated to bring the GC as proof I'm not a U.S. Citizen, not a photocopy. I mentioned that I had my GC with me and would gladly show her but I will not be submitting a photocopy. She gave in, gave me the number on ticker tape then I headed back to the waiting area where the rest of the consulate staff was.

A guy from the overseas voter registration section called my number. I had to do biometrics (thumb prints and picture) and fill up a separate form (different from the passport application form).

Then another guy called my last name and he did my biometrics for the passport. I went over to the cashier and paid $60. I got a claim stub indicating when to pick up the new passport and was told to bring my expired passport when claiming the new one.

By the way, they gave me back my latest passport, with all my visa stamps and CFO stickers and certificates intact.

They give you your passport back so in the event you need to travel you'll have a passport while your new one is being created. Once your new passport is ready then they will cancel your old passport and I believe they give that back to you also, again in the event that you need copies of the pages that were stamped from your POE's.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Now that you are a green card holder no one cares about the CFO sticker or the old visa... just mementos

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

If traveling back to Philippines just the green card and new passport is needed in both airports? (Phil and U.S. )

Yes that's all that is needed to travel Phil and US, except don't forget the chocolates :thumbs:

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Removal of Conditions

They give you your passport back so in the event you need to travel you'll have a passport while your new one is being created. Once your new passport is ready then they will cancel your old passport and I believe they give that back to you also, again in the event that you need copies of the pages that were stamped from your POE's.

I'm not sure that's the reason why they gave back my passport. My passport expired the day I went to apply for a new one. The embassy staff even told me it's already expired by 1 day as far as the Philippines was concerned (due to the time difference). So no, I can't travel outside the U.S. anyway until I get a new passport.

Check my timeline for K-1 visa & AOS details

Conditional Permanent Resident: 16 September 2014

Conditional GC Expires: 16 September 2016

ROC Journey (CA Service Center)

2016-Sep-14: I-751 form, check, supporting docs sent USPS Priority Express

2016-Sep-15: ROC application received & signed for by Lakelieh

2016-Sep-15: NOA receipt date

2016-Sep-19: $590 check cashed by USCIS

2016-Sep-20: NOA/ 1-year extension letter received in mail

2018-Feb-26: ROC case transferred to local office

2018-Mar-06: ROC approved via USCIS website (WAC status check)

I'm not sure that's the reason why they gave back my passport. My passport expired the day I went to apply for a new one. The embassy staff even told me it's already expired by 1 day as far as the Philippines was concerned (due to the time difference). So no, I can't travel outside the U.S. anyway until I get a new passport.

If they gave you back your expired passport technically it's canceled. You can't travel on an expired passport.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.