germancho24

Unable to get Police certificate - Possible but too expensive

21 posts in this topic

It is 12 months, not 6, if you are not a national of that country.

wrong, it is 6 months

sorry you're wrong today. :(

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Serbia
Timeline

If you follow the individual Embassy/Consulate Instructions for the embassy in Bogota, you'll easily get to this PDF which states, among other things:

POLICE CERTIFICATES: All applicants who are 18 years or older must obtain a Colombian police certificate “Certificado Judicial” at http://www.policia.gov.co. Applicants who have lived in another country for more than 6 months since turning 16 years of age (except for the United States) must present police certificates from those countries too. Visit http://travel.state.gov/visa/reciprocity/index.htm for information about the availability and process for obtaining police certificates for other countries. Police certificates are valid for 12 months.

So, 6 months. Double check with the embassy to be sure, though.

Edited by rutabaga

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

OP - you have three choices...

1. Take a chance. Submit your packet, and write a very clear letter stating that getting a Police Certificate from Slovenia would create a financial hardship for you. Tell them (they often don't know or understand stuff like this - believe me - I've been on the wrong side of NVC when it comes to Police Certificates that are not attainable) that in order to get a police certificate from Slovenia, you must present yourself IN PERSON at an Embassy/Consulate, and that Colombia does not have a Slovenian Embassy/Consulate. Explain that in order to present yourself IN PERSON, you would have to fly to Brasilia, and that the ensuing flight ticket, air transport, ground transport, and hotel would cost US$xxxxx. If it would also be a pain because of your job, state that. Also state that you resided in Slovenia at the age of 17 for a period of 11 months, and that you were an (high school?) exchange student (and, if applicable, the name of the organization that sponsored you as an exchange student). If there is an organization (like here in the US - American Field Service), I'm sure they had a code of conduct. You can also then honestly state that you fulfilled your year in Slovenia, which indicates that there were no issues that would have had you sent home.

Attach any website page that explains the fact that you would have to go to Brasilia.

And then you will wait to see if they will mark your file "Unable to get Police Certificate" for Slovenia and approve your file without one. Your success at NVC will be dependent upon whether or not the person who handles your file accepts your explanation. And this does NOT mean that the CO at the US Embassy/Consulate in Colombia will agree.

Quite frankly, in MY opinion, I think you stand a pretty good chance, but nothing is carved in stone when it comes to this process. There are no guarantees, and you may find your process is extended by MONTHS as you have to get the Police Certificate anyway.

2. Spend the money and the time and get the certificate now, and maximize the probability that you will be accepted without a checklist.

3. Call your Embassy/Consulate, and ask them if it is mandatory that you get this PC since you cannot get one in your country. IF they tell you it's OK - you don't need Slovenia, then add that to the explanation letter in choice #1. Try to get them to give you the OK in writing. No matter what, give the person's name, the date and the time that you spoke to the embassy, and, if they WON'T put it in writing, try to write down verbatim the words they used to tell you it was OK.

It's up to you. I wish you all sorts of luck. Our NVC process was delayed a whole month because NVC insisted my partner get a Police Certificate that was unattainable.

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Thank you very much Sukie, I will write the letter explaining in detail as you suggested. I think I have to try that before traveling to Brasil, even if it results in delays. I went on exchange with AFS (American Field Service) so I will use the fact that I completed my exchange year which according to AFS's code of conduct would have not happened if I had had any issues with the police. Thanks a lot for your help!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Thank you very much Sukie, I will write the letter explaining in detail as you suggested. I think I have to try that before traveling to Brasil, even if it results in delays. I went on exchange with AFS (American Field Service) so I will use the fact that I completed my exchange year which according to AFS's code of conduct would have not happened if I had had any issues with the police. Thanks a lot for your help!

Include a copy of the AFS rules, too. You need to be able to "prove" that you couldn't have gotten into any trouble, because AFS would have sent you home in a nanosecond.

Good luck!

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

If you literally cannot get something, you can explain the situation and it will probably be fine. My husband previously lived in Australia for over a year. We were able to get a police certificate from the Australian federal police online, but the NVC told us we needed a police certificate from the state of New South Wales, the state in Australia where he lived. We could not get one, because you can only get it if you go in person and get fingerprinted. So we just explained that, printed out the website that explained it, and it was fine, he got the green card.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.