bruceman

Taxes and Interview

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

So I completed in AoS back in December 2014. The timing was a little tight because I was in the process of transitioning between jobs. In the end however, I ended up including a letter from my new boss (with salary and start date), my very first paycheck, a letter stating that I did not file taxes for 2011-2013 due to not having a job, and my joint sponsor's AoS. Though I technically didn't need a joint sponsor, due to my situation I decided to have one just to be safe. Anyways, my wife is still waiting to receive an interview date. I currently live in California and she lives in Iran.

On the paycheck that was included with my AoS packet, it shows I put Single for filing status, although as far as I know this is irrelevant because it is the actual tax return that is important and not individual paychecks. I later switched it to Married, and I am planning to file my taxes as Married Filing Jointly. However, I know for a fact that I will be receiving a refund for 2014 and after doing research I read that you can actually file taxes late with no penalty if you are expecting a refund. I was planning on waiting for my wife to enter the US and then file the taxes (I believe you have a few years to file if you are expecting a refund). My reason for this is I don't really have much time left to get an ITIN and all that, and this method seems to be the easiest route. So on to my questions.

Is it likely that when she finally gets a scheduled interview that the embassy will ask for my 2014 taxes, or my joint sponsor's for that matter? Will it matter to them if I don't file due to the reason I stated above (waiting for my wife to come before filing as Married filing Jointly)?

What do you guys think is the best course of action at this point?

Thank you in advance.

If I decide to file my taxes right now, it would only be for interview purposes, which is why I asked whether or not the interviewer will ask for it. As of now there is not enough time for me to receive anything physical from my wife in time for her interview, since it takes 6 weeks for anything to arrive in either country. So this makes married filing jointly not an option because she does not have a SSN, ITIN, and there wouldn't be enough time to do it. What I'm wondering is if the interviewer asks my wife for my 2014 taxes and I haven't filed them yet, can she provide the reason as to why I haven't filed them right then at the interview?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I can't tell you if they will ask for your tax return. All I can tell you is the deadline for filing taxes is April 15th. Either file your taxes by then or request an extension. Nobody will be interested to hear about events or excuses for not filing. Maybe you should seek a tax professional if you are not sure how to file your taxes.

I know that the deadline is April 15, but if you are expecting a refund (which I am) then you actually have until April 15, 2018. Kind of a cool law many people don't know about : )

The only reason I was waiting off on filing was because either I file "Married Filing Separately" now and then amend it later, or wait until my wife arrives and then file "Married Filing Jointly." I was leaning towards the latter since it's easier.

But my real worry and purpose of the post was just whether or not the embassy will ask for 2014 taxes. I've read somewhere that they should look at only the 3 tax years before the AoS, which I already sent. But I'm just a bit worried because you never know what they may ask for at the interview. In all honestly, it would be unfair if the embassy requests it at the interview when it wasn't even possible for me to obtain at the time I sent the AoS.

Thanks for your input! : )

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

I know that the deadline is April 15, but if you are expecting a refund (which I am) then you actually have until April 15, 2018. Kind of a cool law many people don't know about : )

The only reason I was waiting off on filing was because either I file "Married Filing Separately" now and then amend it later, or wait until my wife arrives and then file "Married Filing Jointly." I was leaning towards the latter since it's easier.

But my real worry and purpose of the post was just whether or not the embassy will ask for 2014 taxes. I've read somewhere that they should look at only the 3 tax years before the AoS, which I already sent. But I'm just a bit worried because you never know what they may ask for at the interview. In all honestly, it would be unfair if the embassy requests it at the interview when it wasn't even possible for me to obtain at the time I sent the AoS.

Thanks for your input! : )

Your interview latter will state everything you need to bring at the time of interview.

And as of my knowledge if your interview is after April 15.. they will request you to bring copy of 2014 tax return.

I have my interview in May and yhey have requested for tax returns for 2014 at the time of interview.

You better should file you taxes and even send copy of your joint sponsors 2014 tax return to b on safe side!

Oh wow, so they are asking you for 2014 taxes even though your Affidavit of Support was submitted before the tax deadline? My wife has yet to receive an interview date, so I may still have time if I decide to file now. I would have to file Married Separate, and I would need to mail it by paper because the online program doesn't let you type in NRA. Thank you so much for your input, it is very helpful : )

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Oh wow, so they are asking you for 2014 taxes even though your Affidavit of Support was submitted before the tax deadline? My wife has yet to receive an interview date, so I may still have time if I decide to file now. I would have to file Married Separate, and I would need to mail it by paper because the online program doesn't let you type in NRA. Thank you so much for your input, it is very helpful : )

You're welcome. .

Yes that's exactly what we did.

Good luck and I wish you get your interview date soon..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.