Mr. Big Dog

Marcus Bachmann Refused Service in Indiana, Store Owner Assumed He Was Gay

33 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Marcus Bachmann Refused Service in Indiana, Store Owner Assumed He Was Gay

INDIANAPOLIS – Marcus Bachmann, husband of former Minnesota Congresswoman Michele Bachmann, unwittingly became the first public face of Indiana’s newly-enacted Religious Freedom Restoration Act, after being refused service at a dress boutique because the store owner assumed he was gay.

The Bachmanns were visiting the state capitol on Thursday to lend their support to embattled Gov. Mike Pence when the incident occurred. Dorothy Holtz, owner of Dotty’s Dress Den described what happened.

“I didn’t think anything was out of the ordinary at first,” said the 59-year old self-described “devout Christian citizen,” although I don’t usually have men come in by themselves. He was very polite but the more he spoke, the more I thought he was different.”

Holtz began to suspect that Bachmann was “perhaps a homosexual man”, and because it is now within her rights to refuse service based on religious beliefs, informed Bachmann she would be unable to serve him, and asked him to leave.

“I was aghast!” said Bachmann. I’ve been shopping for Michele for years! I had no idea why the woman in the store turned on me like that. I thought perhaps she had suddenly become ill.”

For many years, Marcus has been choosing Michele’s outfits without incident. In a Chicago Tribune article from 2006, Michele recalled an upcoming meeting with then Vice President ####### Cheney. Marcus decided to outfit Michele in a more feminine style than the Congresswoman usually chose for herself:

Before Vice President ####### Cheney’s visit, Marcus hit the stores – “he’s got a good sense of style” – and came home with “a sleek, simple hourglass dress with a yoke collar in winter white.” He even bought a matching coat and shoes. “I just slipped it on,” said Michele.

Marcus reacted with shock when he realized he had fallen victim to the very measure he had come to Indiana to support. “I was gobsmacked! I never realized a law meant to protect individuals’ religious freedoms would be twisted in such a way as to discriminate! Clearly, people are mis-applying this well-intentioned law.”

Shop owner Holtz said she was well within her rights and does not discriminate. “He was getting very persnickety and didn’t seem to like anything we had to offer. He said ‘my wife wouldn’t like this one bit’ and ‘my wife wouldn’t look good in that’ so many times I began to wonder if he had a wife at all! He had on a wedding ring but anybody can buy a gold band. He said my eyeshadow was too heavy. I decided whatever his lifestyle, I didn’t want to support it, so I asked him to leave which he did.”

Gay rumors have dogged Bachmann for years, exacerbated by charges that his Christian therapy clinic administered gay conversion therapy as a matter of course, rumors the Bachmanns have fiercely denied. “Marcus is the most rugged individual I’ve ever met,” said the former Congresswoman. “There’s never been a gay bone in his body,” she added.

Holtz will reportedly continue to exercise her religions freedoms throughout her dress shop.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Judging a book by its cover?

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

So you believe that it's okay for business to discriminate against homsexuals? Interesting.

No, but then I'm not surprised that you would make such an unfounded allegation, judging by your past record of deliberate misinterpretation.

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

Timeline

I'm sure you actually believe that. Really sad.

And another baseless assertion from you.

Nowhere have I made any mention of the law itself, yet you continue to accuse me, with no foundation whatsoever, of having an opinion that I do not have,. This is nothing new from you and I don't really expect anything else from you, either.

2011-11-15.garfield.png

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Sooner or later these new laws will end up in the hands of the SCOTUS. On a positive note they only reinforce the need for the nation to be ever more protective of the First Amendment. Some 200+ years ago the founding fathers knew full well the kind of religious nutjobs they had around them back then and it seems their vision for a secular America remains spot on after all these years.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

No, but then I'm not surprised that you would make such an unfounded allegation, judging by your past record of deliberate misinterpretation.

Okay Pooky, let's play this straight and by the numbers. Tell me your opinion on this Religious Freedom bill.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Timeline

Okay Pooky, let's play this straight and by the numbers. Tell me your opinion on this Religious Freedom bill.

It's a pile of utter carp, as are the similar laws in the other 30-odd states, plus the similar Federal law.

Still doesn't change my opinion that the original piece of "satire" was lame, half-rs'ed and lazy.

Clear enough?

Then try asking yourself why you needed to ask the question in the first place?

2011-11-15.garfield.png