stanleyleecm

NVC Checklist Clarification

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I sent in the IV and AOS packages for my parents on Jan 27, and I got a checklist today saying that i need to submit my (i am the petitioner) birth certificate. But no where on the IV and AOS cover sheet said it needs to be included nor the offical website. I always thought that the proof of our relationship WAS established during the USCIS stage.

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/Supporting_documents.html

______F - PETITIONER BIRTH CERTIFICATE:____________________________

Please submit a copy of the petitioner's original birth certificate or a copy of the certified birth document,
obtained from the issuing government authority. The original birth certificate must contain the
petitioner's place and date of birth and names of both parents. If the birth certificate is a certified copy of
the original, it must come from the issuing government authority and it must contain annotation by the
issuing government authority indicating that it is an extract from the official records.
If a birth was never officially recorded, or if it is impossible to obtain a birth certificate because records
have been destroyed or the appropriate government authority will not issue one, you should obtain a
certified statement from the appropriate government authority stating the reason your birth record is not
available. Please submit this with secondary evidence of birth. For example, a baptismal certificate that
contains the date and place of birth and both parent's names providing the baptism took place shortly
after birth; an adoption decree for an adopted child; or an affidavit from a close relative, preferably the
applicant's mother, stating the date and place of birth, both parent's names, and the mother's maiden
name. An affidavit must be executed before an official authorized to take oaths or affirmations.
Information regarding the procedure for obtaining birth certificates is usually available from the
Embassy or Consulate of the country concerned.
All documents not in English or the official language of the country in which the visa will be applied for
must be accompanied by a certified translation. Your translation must include a statement signed by the
translator that states the following:
- Translation is accurate, and
- Translator is competent to translate.
Did I misread something and that should have been included in my packages?
Thanks in advance!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.