Eric & Idalia

USC Husband going back to US. 15 days later, wife visiting USA for a wedding

2 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi. My husband is going back to USA to get a job and find an apartment for us. We have an I-130 approved, but we haven't scheduled the interview in Cd. Juarez consulate yet. I think we will be doing that for June.

A friend of mine is getting married on May 2 in Santa Fe, NM and I want to go. Also If I go to New Mexico (where I lived as an au pair two years), I can get the police certificate needed for the visa interview.

I have a tourist visa valid for 10 years. Last year we went to Santa Fe during holy week, the border officer giving the I-94 didn't want to give it to me because he couldn't understand why I didn't stay in the USA after being an au pair or why I became an au pair being a software engineer and got all crazy when I showed him my NM driver license just to let him know the address where we were going to stay. So I am afraid that this time crossing the border would be even harder now that they would know I have a I-130 approved.

I have read here that I can visit, but my question is: what I can show the officer to let him/her know I am going to come back? I don't want them to refuse me entry.

Here some documents I am going to get:

-A letter from my work stating that I am on vacation and I have to come back by May 5, 2015.

-The NOA2 of the petition

-Screenshot of the DS-260 with status incomplete

-The letter from Ciudad Juarez Consulate stating I can schedule the interview on any available date.

-As I am not sure if I am going to rent a car and drive there or flight: The car rental contract or flight back documents.

-If I get it on time (I haven't gotten the holiday card from my friend since December!!): the wedding invitation

Is there any other info I should provide? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for you help.

Edited by Eric & Idalia

• 1 month later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

For the record, and maybe could help someone in the future...

I brought all I said above and the officer did not ask for anything.

He just asked:

-Purpose of the trip? Attend a wedding

-Whose wedding? My friend Teresa

Ok, you can go.

I don't know if the system showed him I was in process of a immigrant visa, but he didn't request any document.

Regards.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.