JV4RMGTO

getting everything ready for interview

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

i married in 02 became lpr 07 had to go to cdj and file i601 regular that i turned in doing interview received green card for 10 years and i was 26 and 8 months and didnt register with sss. i;m just going to write that i didn't know and let you all know the out come thank you so much for your time and comments have a good day

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

where do i look for my name? at sss.goc asks to put my social and dob i entered it but nothing came out. it said no records found i didn't know i had to register with sss, now i'm a have to write a letter stating why i dodn't register i am now 34 years old.about documents they have to be most resent or for the past 3 years, like bank account statements do i print out since 2001 until 2015 or just for the last 3 years

If you are 34 then there's nothing to worry about. You'll be fine.

Failing to register for selective service can delay your naturalization until you turn 31 but you are already older than that. No need to worry about SS registration; if asked about it, just say you didn't know you had to register. End of issue.

If you are applying based on marriage, then 3 years. If you are applying based on 5 years of residency, then 5 years.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

If you are 34 then there's nothing to worry about. You'll be fine.

Failing to register for selective service can delay your naturalization until you turn 31 but you are already older than that. No need to worry about SS registration; if asked about it, just say you didn't know you had to register. End of issue.

If you are applying based on marriage, then 3 years. If you are applying based on 5 years of residency, then 5 years.

There is a question in Part 11 of the N-400 application asking about SS registration. He must have answered no, and if you are over 26 and answered no you must provide an explanation why and also a status information letter from SS. This should have been done when the N-400 was submitted. What am I missing here?

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Timeline

There is a question in Part 11 of the N-400 application asking about SS registration. He must have answered no, and if you are over 26 and answered no you must provide an explanation why and also a status information letter from SS. This should have been done when the N-400 was submitted. What am I missing here?

He should have indicated on the application that he failed to register. If he didn't, he can correct this at the interview. The status letter is irrelevant and so is his reason for not registering. Even if he knowingly failed to register, the statutory period is over, meaning this has no effect on natiralization.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

He should have indicated on the application that he failed to register. If he didn't, he can correct this at the interview. The status letter is irrelevant and so is his reason for not registering. Even if he knowingly failed to register, the statutory period is over, meaning this has no effect on natiralization.

I don't doubt what you are saying, I'm just not seeing it in the N-400 instructions.

And I would imagine if the question was not answered on the N-400, they would have sent a RFE.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Timeline

I don't doubt what you are saying, I'm just not seeing it in the N-400 instructions.

And I would imagine if the question was not answered on the N-400, they would have sent a RFE.

They don't send RFEs prior to the N400 interview; only afterwards for missing information. The interview is an opportunity to provide missing information and to make corrections.

The informationa about the statutory limit isn't in the instructions. It's in the USCIS policy manual, volume 12 on natutalization.

http://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume12-PartD-Chapter7.html

"Applicants Over 31 Years of Age​

The applicant is eligible. This is the case even if the applicant knowingly and willfully failed to register because the applicants failure to register would be outside of the statutory period.​"

They don't send RFEs prior to the N400 interview; only afterwards for missing information. The interview is an opportunity to provide missing information and to make corrections.

The informationa about the statutory limit isn't in the instructions. It's in the USCIS policy manual, volume 12 on natutalization.

http://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume12-PartD-Chapter7.html

"Applicants Over 31 Years of Age​

The applicant is eligible. This is the case even if the applicant knowingly and willfully failed to register because the applicants failure to register would be outside of the statutory period.​"

Thank you very much. I learned something new!

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

JV4 --

You are in good shape at this point -- no worries at all. This is a cakewalk compared to what you had to go thru for the 601 waiver.

Take it easy and relax over the weekend !!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.