vsubish

Spouse name in Passport - Is this mandatory?

20 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi Jnsr...

Congrats on your VISA....!!!!

Really appreciate your thoughts and comments. I guess there is some confusion - my doubt was not regarding to change my maiden name rather my doubt was whether it is necessary to have my spouse name (in the spouse name column) of the Indian passport. Nevertheless i totally agree your statement and share the same thoughts...... :) :)

Thank you :) . The only point I wanted to highlight was that don't be forced into including your spouses name as the officials insist. The sole purpose of PCC is to check your criminal record it has nothing to do with your spouse ( If you choose to include your partners name you have to get your passport reissued). Yes as I said its not mandatory.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: India
Timeline

Thank you :) .The appointment is valid for the next day after submitting the application( the date and time chosen). Printout of the application receipt. Documents you need to carry is just a photocopy of your passport with your signature & your original Passport. The fee is Rs. 500 & has to be paid at the passport office only. They issued me my PCC on the same day the whole process took a hour and half.

HI vsubish,

We need a copy of PCC proof, a copy of marriage certificate(if you wish to mention you are married or spouse name in the PCC application) along with appointment receipt, copy of passport . We should carry all the originals and their self attested photocopies.

Though the proof of PCC is not mentioned in the documents advisory, it depends upon the decision of the PO/granting officer.They mas ask us for much documentation.

It's my personal experience recently...PO asked me to show the sponsor letter...They may not aware of the rules sometimes,but we have to avoid risk and deal smoothly with the officers of any country.

What the heck is a PCC proof? (Isn't the point of this entire exercise to get a PCC?)

And also, for some visa types, there is no such thing as a sponsor letter.

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

• 2 years later...
On 3/25/2015 at 1:54 AM, vsubish said:

Hi Friends,

Just got a doubt here.

Is it really mandatory that the spouse name should be included in your passport for F2A applicants.

I guess folks who have already attended the interview should have fair idea about this.

Kindly provide your advice.

Not sure of F2A applicant. However if you are married and need a PCC for immigration purpose then its better you add your spouse's name to the passport.  The passport office refused to issue me a PCC coz I didn't have my husband's name on it. so had to get a new passport in order to get my PCC. CRAZY!!!

On 3/30/2015 at 2:31 AM, Jnsr said:

Thank you :) . The only point I wanted to highlight was that don't be forced into including your spouses name as the officials insist. The sole purpose of PCC is to check your criminal record it has nothing to do with your spouse ( If you choose to include your partners name you have to get your passport reissued). Yes as I said its not mandatory.

Thats not true. They refused to issue me a PCC coz I had mention 'married' on my PCC form but didn't have my spouse's name on my passport. And in the process to add spouse's name i had to get a new passport. They left me no choice. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.