cornmayeat

Social security number related question

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Nepal
Timeline

Hi,

How is everyone doing? I would like to know when would we be able to receive our ssn after reaching usa? Do i have to go to some office after i reach there to get it? is it a physical card? Or do i just receive it on my email? In my ds 260 form there was a question that asked something like "do you want social security administrator to issue a social security number and a card? I ticked on yes there. so does this mean i will get it on my mail and not have to go to the office to apply? Thanks

I entered on a K-1 visa.

It is a physical card. I went to the local office and applied for the SSN right after I got married. I did tick the box on the DS-260, but I did not receive a card in the mail until I went to the local office in person.

Some people get their SSN before marriage, some after. When I went to apply I needed my passport, birth certificate, I-94 and marriage certificate. I don't remember if there was anything else I had to bring with me.

Edited by MissSarah

AOS (from K-1)

Sent - April 23, 2014
NOA - May 13, 2014
Biometrics - June 6, 2014
EAD/AP Approved - July 18, 2014
EAD/AP Received - July 26, 2014
Waiver Letter Received - August 17, 2014 (dated August 13, 2014)
SR Placed Online - February 14, 2015
EAD/AP Renewal Sent - March 20, 2015
EAD/AP Renewal Received - March 25, 2015
I-485 Approved - March 28, 2015 (e-mail notification)
SR Response Rec'd - March 28, 2015 (dated March 24, 2015)
Card Production Notice - March 31, 2015

Card Mailed - April 7, 2015

Card Rec'd - April 9, 2015

The bit in the reply about "befor or after marriage" and I94 and birth, marriage certificate being needed for the number, has no bearing on DV winners.

You should receive it in the mail about a week or two after you enter, if you don't go down to your local SS office to check on progress. If you need to do so take your passport with your stamped immigrant visa.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline

Thanks. How do i know if my SSN is in the process of getting made? I dont really want to wait for 2 weeks and then finally go to the office as a last resort. Do I talk to the police officers about this at the immigration when i enter USA for the first time? I heard that when one enters USA, it triggers something in the system and the SSN automatically gets made and later sent at the address, given that the above mentioned question on the ds 260 is ticked yes?

Filed: Timeline

The bit in the reply about "befor or after marriage" and I94 and birth, marriage certificate being needed for the number, has no bearing on DV winners.

You should receive it in the mail about a week or two after you enter, if you don't go down to your local SS office to check on progress. If you need to do so take your passport with your stamped immigrant visa.

so is it strating from DV 2015 (because there some part in DS-260 we filled in) should be arrive automatically without the need to visit a local SNN office and ask for it ?

Thanks. How do i know if my SSN is in the process of getting made? I dont really want to wait for 2 weeks and then finally go to the office as a last resort. Do I talk to the police officers about this at the immigration when i enter USA for the first time? I heard that when one enters USA, it triggers something in the system and the SSN automatically gets made and later sent at the address, given that the above mentioned question on the ds 260 is ticked yes?

No, the CBP officer won't know anything about it. If you really can't wait, go visit the SS office a day or two after arriving to check it is in the system. Some people have reported success this way, others told to come back after a month if they havent recevied anything....

so is it strating from DV 2015 (because there some part in DS-260 we filled in) should be arrive automatically without the need to visit a local SNN office and ask for it ?

It should, yes. But there are some instances when it doesn't.

Timeline

No, the CBP officer won't know anything about it. If you really can't wait, go visit the SS office a day or two after arriving to check it is in the system. Some people have reported success this way, others told to come back after a month if they havent recevied anything....

Okay i will visit the said office then. BTW if I decide to not go to the given address as stated on my Ds 260 (where the green card would be mailed), and decide to go enter usa through a completely different state and decide to live there, then how do i notify the authority that my new address is different to my ds 260 address? I mean I would like both my ssn and gc mailed at the new address. Does this address get updated at the POE? And will the immigration officers find it as an issue that i decided to live somewhere else other than the address mentioned on my ds 260?

Okay i will visit the said office then. BTW if I decide to not go to the given address as stated on my Ds 260 (where the green card would be mailed), and decide to go enter usa through a completely different state and decide to live there, then how do i notify the authority that my new address is different to my ds 260 address? I mean I would like both my ssn and gc mailed at the new address. Does this address get updated at the POE? And will the immigration officers find it as an issue that i decided to live somewhere else other than the address mentioned on my ds 260?

Yes, when you enter you tell the CBP officer the new address. And no, you can go live wherever you want in the US, many people change their minds about where to live between interview and entry, and it's a free country.

Timeline

Yes, when you enter you tell the CBP officer the new address. And no, you can go live wherever you want in the US, many people change their minds about where to live between interview and entry, and it's a free country.

Understood, thanks

I heard from someone, that after you apply for an SSN and if urgent to get just the digits (if you need to work soon as possible or open a bank account), you give theme a couple of days, come back and ask for the digits (you need to show proof of identification).

is this true, it sounds logic, if any one know about this please respond.

I heard from someone, that after you apply for an SSN and if urgent to get just the digits (if you need to work soon as possible or open a bank account), you give theme a couple of days, come back and ask for the digits (you need to show proof of identification).

is this true, it sounds logic, if any one know about this please respond.

Some people have reported that they get told their SSNs by their local office before their cards arrive, others have not had the same luck...it seems to depend on the office and maybe even the person they are talking to...but it's certainly worth a try. There are some things you need to show the actual card for - we needed the cards for our driver license applications, for example - but for most just knowing the number seems fine.

Some people have reported that they get told their SSNs by their local office before their cards arrive, others have not had the same luck...it seems to depend on the office and maybe even the person they are talking to...but it's certainly worth a try. There are some things you need to show the actual card for - we needed the cards for our driver license applications, for example - but for most just knowing the number seems fine.

Thank you very much SusieQQQ.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.