Jauque

Supporting Document Question

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I am applying for naturalization and have been a permanent resident for a little over 5 years. I am a widow and my path to permanent residency was marriage to a US citizen. Do I need to include a copy of my marriage certificate or is it sufficient to have a copy of the death certificate? I only ask because I just realized that all I have is a marriage license and never got the actual certificate and I'd like to get this in the mail. It sounds like from the instructions that I don't need the certificate as I am not currently married, but I don't want it sent back on a technicality.

Any help appreciated,

Kate

K-1

05/05/2009 - NOA1

07/17/2009 - NOA2

08/27/2009 - Visa Received

10/09/2009 - Married

AOS/EAD

11/18/2009 - NOA1

01/15/2010 - EAD Approved

02/25/2010 - AOS Interview

Adjuticator's Field Manual

Old VJ Adjuticator Q/A

Disclaimer : 100% of the time I only think I know what I'm talking about.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Since you are not applying based on marriage, you don't need to send in your marriage certificate at this time. However, you will likely be asked for your marriage certificate at your interview, because they often want to confirm that you acquired your green card legitimately. So you can mail your application now, and request a copy of your marriage certificate right away so that you'll have it in time for the interview. Now having said that, I'm not sure how you adjusted your status or remove conditions on your initial green card without the marriage certificate.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

It is required to send a copy of either divorce certificate or proof of marriage annulment/ death certificate if you were previously married.

Please refer to the link below. It's a document checklist for naturalization application (page 1, bottom)

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/article/attachments.pdf

Good luck!

Edited by olna83

Timeline

It is required to send a copy of either divorce certificate or proof of marriage annulment/ death certificate if you were previously married.

Please refer to the link below. It's a document checklist for naturalization application (page 1, bottom)

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/article/attachments.pdf

Good luck!

You are right that the death certificate is listed on the checklist, but like tax transcripts for those applying under the 5 year rule, or court disposition documents, or selective service status letters, which are also on the checklist, many people don't send these in with the application. The OP will be given the chance to present the death certificate at the interview if she doesn't send it in now.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You are right that the death certificate is listed on the checklist, but like tax transcripts for those applying under the 5 year rule, or court disposition documents, or selective service status letters, which are also on the checklist, many people don't send these in with the application. The OP will be given the chance to present the death certificate at the interview if she doesn't send it in now.

Thanks so much, that's a load off my mind. I already have my 10 year permanent resident card with conditions removed. I'm going to go ahead and mail my N-400 and have my marriage certificate when I go for my interview.

Thanks again!

K-1

05/05/2009 - NOA1

07/17/2009 - NOA2

08/27/2009 - Visa Received

10/09/2009 - Married

AOS/EAD

11/18/2009 - NOA1

01/15/2010 - EAD Approved

02/25/2010 - AOS Interview

Adjuticator's Field Manual

Old VJ Adjuticator Q/A

Disclaimer : 100% of the time I only think I know what I'm talking about.

Timeline

Thanks so much, that's a load off my mind. I already have my 10 year permanent resident card with conditions removed. I'm going to go ahead and mail my N-400 and have my marriage certificate when I go for my interview.

Thanks again!

I understand, but my question was how did you get either your 2 year green card or your 10 year green cards in the first place without a marriage certificate? You must have presented one as part of your application.

Regarding my last post; i meant to say, send a copy of the death certificate now since you should have that and take the marriage certoficate with you to the interview.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Jauque,

I agree. The marriage certificate is not important at this point until the interview date. It is recommended to have all documentation related to your immigration history - just in case. As far as the death certificate (or copy of any other proof of ended marriage like annulment certificate or divorce decree) - you should send them a copy of it along with n400. I did the same for my own peace of mind (and it's what the USCIS asks as a part of n400 packet).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.