Fuji1978

Has anyone in Ghana been denied K1 and then filed CR1? Please share stories

6 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

I would like to see if anyone could share their story if they have this situation. Denied K-1 Visa in Ghana and then married and filed CR-1......has anyone done this on here that is willing to share with me what was the outcome? I was never given the reason for our K-1 denial and we married on the same visit as the denial (at second interview). It was my third visit, but my wife believes that the issue the CO had was the length of my visits.....Only one week? She said the woman shouted at her several times at the first interview. That was my third visit and I have booked my tickets for a fourth visit this summer, this time for two weeks. I need to spend time with my wife, and I will spend these two weeks with her. The next visit will most likely be at our CR-1 interview next year. I am about to send our packet within the next two weeks. I have anxiety because not knowing the reason for denial and then filing this time around makes me wonder how to address any issues if I am not certain what those issues are? Has anyone been sent a letter after K-1 denial with any specific reason for the denail. Any advice? Thanks in advance

Filed: Country: Portugal
Timeline

I would like to see if anyone could share their story if they have this situation. Denied K-1 Visa in Ghana and then married and filed CR-1......has anyone done this on here that is willing to share with me what was the outcome? I was never given the reason for our K-1 denial and we married on the same visit as the denial (at second interview). It was my third visit, but my wife believes that the issue the CO had was the length of my visits.....Only one week? She said the woman shouted at her several times at the first interview. That was my third visit and I have booked my tickets for a fourth visit this summer, this time for two weeks. I need to spend time with my wife, and I will spend these two weeks with her. The next visit will most likely be at our CR-1 interview next year. I am about to send our packet within the next two weeks. I have anxiety because not knowing the reason for denial and then filing this time around makes me wonder how to address any issues if I am not certain what those issues are? Has anyone been sent a letter after K-1 denial with any specific reason for the denail. Any advice? Thanks in advance

A lot of couples with a beneficiary coming from a third world country get denied at their K1 visa interview. In a lot of cases the US embassy/consulate doesn't even give an explanation, and this usually means that they don't believe that the relationship is bonafide and assume that it was established for immigration benefits. This happens especially when the relationship has other red flags too, for example huge age difference, huge cultural difference, different religions, etc. That is why in certain countries it isn't even worth to start a K1 process, since it will be more than likely getting denied. Ghana is one of the extremely high fraud countries, just like Nigeria, Pakistan, India. I suggest you to spend more time in person together. Not giving up, getting married and filing for a CR-1 visa shows long term commitment, so you will likely be approved this time.

Good luck! :)

Edited by Butterfly307

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

Your wife must have received a 221g paper with a reason checked or written. Request one from the embassy if she didn't receive one.

Email or call them or make a senatorial inquiry into why she was not given the 221g, they are required to hand it to her.

Your petition will be returned to USCIS and will expire. You will receive

a letter from USCIS in 6 months stating that you can file again and no it will not have a reason for refusal listed.

You can also file a FOIA and try to find out the reason, it must be a detailed request signed by both of you (form)

but often they are vague even then.

Seems to be a "immigration for benefits only" reason and with that a CR1 would be most likely approved the next time around.

If she was refused for misrepresentation then you have to overcome that with any future filing or you will be denied again.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Timeline

The 221-g white slip she received after the first interview had "administrative processing" checked and the CO told her that she just needed more time to work on our case. She asked if she needed to bring anything else to the second interview and was told "no, just this slip and your passport." At the second interview, there was no interview, simply we were called to the window where she had a denial letter and our documents ready to give back. I asked what was the reason and she stuttered around for a minute and then said, "it was based on the first interview ". I asked for her to please be more specific and she shook her head no and said "you will receive a letter explaining more, i am sorry for the bad news, have a nice day". I asked her...do you not believe in something? She wouldn't answer, but just said again, "have a nice day ".

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

I STRONGLY don't think it has to do with your length of visits not being enough. My wife visited me just ONCE and for only 6 DAYS in 3years and that wasn't an issue. Once you have been denied and its gonna be difficult "fighting" back. I strongly advise that u go the CR-1 route which u have already started.

Good luck and everything gonna fall in place.

Timeline

The 221-g white slip she received after the first interview had "administrative processing" checked and the CO told her that she just needed more time to work on our case. She asked if she needed to bring anything else to the second interview and was told "no, just this slip and your passport." At the second interview, there was no interview, simply we were called to the window where she had a denial letter and our documents ready to give back. I asked what was the reason and she stuttered around for a minute and then said, "it was based on the first interview ". I asked for her to please be more specific and she shook her head no and said "you will receive a letter explaining more, i am sorry for the bad news, have a nice day". I asked her...do you not believe in something? She wouldn't answer, but just said again, "have a nice day ".

Daniel please get a lawyer when you file your marriage visa without a lawyer it may trigger another denial. I wouldn't go no other way but with a lawyer cause my case maybe a little more difficult because I filed a k-1 but didn't because was told US wouldn't honor my marriage but after speaking with the lawyer yes they do so the money I'm paying him will be worth every dime because he may have to argue my case but my lawyer suggested that if I can to try attend his interview when its time so I'm going to try and my plans are for one or two weeks.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.