Zhu

Starting our journey

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Although I've just started to scratch the surface with the guides/ FAQ/ multitude of information on this site, I wanted to say hi to the regulars or just anyone who comes across this post. My girlfriend and I will be starting our K-1 process soon (even though the "official" romantic engagement is still a little bit off) and I find myself lucky to have come across this site. We were contemplating hiring a lawyer to take care of the process for us (and still partially are), but I tend to be a do-it-yourself kind of person and the process seems surmountable with all of the information and community support accessible around here.

Hopefully we will have a very straight forward application. She is a Chinese national who completed graduate work in the states and went on to find employment with a large company here. Last year she had an H1B application submitted on her behalf, but was not lucky enough to be selected in the lottery. Regardless, she was assigned to do a 1 year rotation back overseas, but I think the H1B would've made this whole process easier on us (and unfortunately her employer did not pursue it this year).

At the risk of entering the stupid question zone, are there any advantages that she has in the K-1 process due to her established presence already in the US? I don't see a better alternative to the K-1 myself right now, but if there is one, I pray a kind soul on here will let me in on the secret. At the moment she can still visit on her B2 visa, but that doesn't help from a paperwork point of view.

Either way, a warm hello from NYC to everyone. I hope to only hear and share good news on this forum.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K1 Process to What Visa Do I Need Forum~

~inquiry about family visa processes~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Welcome, and good luck with your journey. I will comment a little on the lawyer question. I talked to a lawyer at one point at the beginning of our process, and really did not see an advantage for us to hiring them. We had a very straight forward application with nothing out of the ordinary, and we found this site, so we did it ourselves. The rest is history. If you have a complicated application, then it might be something you want to pursue, but make sure you look at several to find a reputable one.

As to your girlfriend'so previous experience here, I am not really sure if it will give her an advantage other than to show a pattern of coming here and leaving legally on her other visas. That could be a big factor now that you may be taking the K1 route. The other option would be to get married over there and take the spouse visa route (CR-1). You might want to check the available timelines to see which one is faster. Also with a spouse visa, she would enter with her conditional green card avoiding the period after marriage going through the AOS process. Some people here are waiting a long time in that line.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

We were contemplating hiring a lawyer to take care of the process for us

Yeah right......you will end up doing all the work.....plus some extra by forking over cash to the lawyer.

(and still partially are), but I tend to be a do-it-yourself kind of person and the process seems surmountable with all of the information and community support accessible around here.

It's really easy peasy.

Hopefully we will have a very straight forward application.

They all are, just Read the Guides and Follow the Example Forms.

She is a Chinese national who completed graduate work in the states and went on to find employment with a large company here. Last year she had an H1B application submitted on her behalf, but was not lucky enough to be selected in the lottery. Regardless, she was assigned to do a 1 year rotation back overseas, but I think the H1B would've made this whole process easier on us (and unfortunately her employer did not pursue it this year).

Oh well.

At the risk of entering the stupid question zone, are there any advantages that she has in the K-1 process due to her established presence already in the US?

No

I don't see a better alternative to the K-1 myself right now, but if there is one, I pray a kind soul on here will let me in on the secret. At the moment she can still visit on her B2 visa, but that doesn't help from a paperwork point of view.

Correct.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Timeline

Thanks, both of you, for the replies. After looking at the I-129F form, it isn't complicated at all. I'll take advantage of the resources on here to make sure all the supporting documentation is on point and submit the package when everything is together.

After checking out the current timeline estimates, it seems I really underestimated the turn around times. This leads me to question which location we should enter for her address/ local embassy/ etc. Her current assignment in Singapore (where she has an employment pass) is guaranteed through the end of July, but after that it's unknown if she can continue on a non-contract basis. I can list her family's address near Beijing, but are there any potential problems with listing an address where she does not necessarily currently live? It is her country of citizenship, so she could always visit if somehow she's still in Singapore. I'm not so confident in the converse situation (returning to Singapore when she is not working there anymore).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.