ZA_35

Why do Spouses wait longer than Fiances?

99 posts in this topic

LOL. I don't blame you for being self-interested. I described you as self-centered because you initially assumed that anyone who could get a K-1 visa could get a tourist visa (false), and seemed to imply that a married couple was more attached than an engaged one. I'm just saying there are many different situations for both types of couples.

And in your remark that I replied to, you were saying that married couples should get precedence (ie priority), and therefore should be quicker (versus the same amount of time).

A married couple is LEGALLY more attached in eyes of the law. It's a contract that has been completed. You can argue emotions with me but that's just the way it is all over the world. If you didn't want to get married due to red tape that was your issue, but don't tell me you COULDN'T get married.

So I stick by my statement. Legally married couples, who took the time and effort to arrange the legal contract, SHOULD TAKE PRECEDENCE.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

You cannot come in on those visas with intent to marry. Also what kind of sense would it make if the k1 allowed someone to come and get married but be forced to leave to aos? Seriously. The comment about about not being able to get b1/b2 leads to trouble in getting a k1 is false beyond belief and is an ignorant statement that knows nothing about the immigration process. I understand people not knowing these things but you are saying stuff as fact that couldn't be further from the truth.

You can come to the US with a visitor visa and marry, people do it every day with destination weddings in Vegas. They just turn around and go back to their home country when all is said and done. What you CANNOT do is enter the US with a visitor visa with the intent to marry, STAY and adjust status. There is a difference

Edited by mimolicious

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Please don't post important information like that if you don't know it. Other people will read this and think they can't marry under the VWP, when in fact they can. You can conduct business and enter into contracts under the VWP, as long as you don't work and you leave within 90 days. Regardless of what one thinks of marriage, it is a business transaction, a contract, signed between two people.

Thousands of people enter the US every year under the VWP and get married, me included. It is legal! I even checked with CBP and the US state department before flying to the US to get married under the VWP. When I enter the US and the IO asked my purpose I said I was marrying my American fiancé and leaving again after two weeks. The IO said congratulations and I was on my way.

I have been flying to the US four times a year for the past four years to visit my boyfriend, who became my fiancé, who became my husband during that time and have never had any issues. The basis of the VWP is that your intent is to visit and leave within 90 days, with the I-129f, you get to stay after the wedding.

My marriage isn't a business contract. Just sayin'

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

A married couple is LEGALLY more attached in eyes of the law. It's a contract that has been completed. You can argue emotions with me but that's just the way it is all over the world. If you didn't want to get married due to red tape that was your issue, but don't tell me you COULDN'T get married.

So I stick by my statement. Legally married couples, who took the time and effort to arrange the legal contract, SHOULD TAKE PRECEDENCE.

part of the reason why it takes longer is because you don't have to wait and adjust status. If you add up the time a K1 visa holder takes to AOS, there is a negligible time difference. Fraud risk is the same regardless if someone is married or not.

part of the reason why it takes longer is because you don't have to wait and adjust status. If you add up the time a K1 visa holder takes to AOS, there is a negligible time difference. Fraud risk is the same regardless if someone is married or not.

Yes, but you get tp spend all those months in the US, with your Spouse.

Do you know what a marriage contract is? It's a legal document and has serious financial/legal implications for both people involved. For instance, I file joint tax returns in the US with my Spouse since we got married. If my Spouse dies, there is a will and legal/financial implications for me. If my Spouse gets into personal debt, there are financial implications for me. If I want to get divorced now, there are legal/financial implications for me. We are TIED together legally already. K-1 holders can still opt out of this legal tie when they get to the US, we cannot.

You made an incredibly FALSE statement yourself about not being able to get a K-1 if you can't get a tourist visa.

Yes I know now and MANY of you have pointed that out. Thank you.

Timeline

Yes, but you get tp spend all those months in the US, with your Spouse.

Do you know what a marriage contract is? It's a legal document and has serious financial/legal implications for both people involved. For instance, I file joint tax returns in the US with my Spouse since we got married. If my Spouse dies, there is a will and legal/financial implications for me. If my Spouse gets into personal debt, there are financial implications for me. If I want to get divorced now, there are legal/financial implications for me. We are TIED together legally already. K-1 holders can still opt out of this legal tie when they get to the US, we cannot.

Yes I know now and MANY of you have pointed that out. Thank you.

have you not read any of threads here of wives and or husbands breaking off contact and/or fleeing the marriage once they have their greencard? A marriage is a non-binding contract which can be broken either party based on statutory laws. You too can get a divorce. Do you have any idea what you are talking about? There are legal/financial implications for the CR-1 and K1 route. It is way past your bedtime. You aren't thinking clearly

have you not read any of threads here of wives and or husbands breaking off contact and/or fleeing the marriage once they have their greencard? A marriage is a non-binding contract which can be broken either party based on statutory laws. You too can get a divorce. Do you have any idea what you are talking about? There are legal/financial implications for the CR-1 and K1 route. It is way past your bedtime. You aren't thinking clearly

How dare you tell me I am not thinking clearly. You know NOTHING about a marriage contract.

A marriage cannot be broken up WITHOUT financial and legal implications - DO YOU UNDERSTAND THAT???

I'm not some idiot who crawled out from under a rock, I know what legal contracts are and their implications.

But not, alas, in the eyes of the USCIS. And in this game, the only opinion that counts, belongs to them. A legal contract a marriage may be, however not that difficult to get out of with a divorce, really.

If Immigration intends to allow the other half of a married couple to arrive in the USA complete with a 2 or 10 year green card as they do, you can bet your bottom dollar those people are going to be properly, intensely, vetted first.

I would think, over time, I've seen threads similar to this one pop up when the going gets slow at one service center or another. Nothing ever comes of it. All that happens is a lot of locked threads due to bickering and sniping at each other , lot of bad feeling, and a lot of negativity. Comparing apples with oranges, annoyed that the type of visa they did not apply for goes faster than the one they chose. That being said, I don't know what the heck has gotten into VJ lately. A whole lot of people with their kickers in a twist, because of choices they themselves made.

I didn't choose to go to the TSC and wait there for 7 months compared to a K-1 CSC 2 week approval.

Timeline

I didn't choose to go to the TSC and wait there for 7 months compared to a K-1 CSC 2 week approval.

but you did choose to get married.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Point of clarification, getting a K 1 visa is different from getting a tourist visa (B1/B2). To get a tourist visa for many non visa wavering countries is a difficult process and there are many rejections, but a K1 is much more attainable when a US Citizen or permanent resident is apply for that individual. I had relationships with two women who could not get a B1/B2 but were able to get an approved K1 in 5 months.

There are many countries that are notoriously hard to get visas to visit the U.S. from. In my case it's the Philippines. Not only would she have to go through all the process with U.S. immigration, the immigration just to leave the Phils is notoriously hard and restrictive on letting their people go unless they can show undeniable proof that they will return. My fiance and I thought it would be nice to visit Thailand since it is essentially a non-visa country to Filipinos. Nope, the wouldn't let her out of the country with me for fear that she would leave from Thailand to some place and not go back to the Phils. We spent two hours behind closed doors arguing our point and showing all our reservations and tickets and proof of our 5 year relationship.....they simply weren't convinced she'd come back. If she couldn't go to Thailand of all places, who in the world would think those same officers would let her leave there to come here on a visitor visa? (even after the slim chance of clearing and getting a U.S. visa)

Just a small sample from me of why the B1/B2 --- K1 correlation is irrelevant and holds prejudice.

P.S. We did inquire about our K1 during that time and they said at that point she could go no problem cause they know she wouldn't return and would have gone through CFO.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

You can come to the US with a visitor visa and marry, people do it every day with destination weddings in Vegas. They just turn around and go back to their home country when all is said and done. What you CANNOT do is enter the US with a visitor visa with the intent to marry, STAY and adjust status. There is a difference

I corrected myself later on....that is what I meant even though it wasn't close to what I typed. I agree what you said as a fact.

Nobody, and I mean nobody gets to make that choice.

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

but you did choose to get married.

Yes I did and you chose to wait and have the option of trying out your Fiance for 90 days with an opt out clause.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.