ZA_35

Why do Spouses wait longer than Fiances?

99 posts in this topic

No it is not legal at all, I cannot enter the US under the VWP and tell the IO I am here to my marry my fiancé. Forget fiancé the min you say you have a significant other who is a US citizen they'll ask you more questions to find out what your intentions are.

Now however you can lie to the IO and use VWP and then get married but please don't say that's legal. If it was I think I-129F wouldn't exist.

If they let you in or not is all part of the normal VWP process - you need to convince them that you will leave within the 90 days. There is a lot that goes into that decision, but you are legally allowed to enter on the VWP and marry, but entering on the VWP is a privilege and not a right.

VWP - marry and then get the hell out.

I-129F - marry and then AOS.

Kinda getting tired of the misinformation in this thread.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

THANK YOU. It is not FRAUD like some people are saying. Your intention was always to return home, just as mine was. I had NO intent to simply stay after the wedding.

I could have been more clear what I meant. I meant with intent to aos. I just don't know if in reality most people could come on a b1 or vwp if the agent knew they were going to get married.

No you can't!! UK has their own law's and it's not that easy, you have to register before you get married and when you're registering you need a proof of address and identification. + UK Border wont let anyone in intending to get married, here as well you have to apply for a fiancé visa :)

Yuna628 I agree :)

For the UK, there is also the 'marriage visitor visa' which my USC husband obtained before our wedding. It was approved in about four weeks, cost less than 100 GBP, multi entry and valid for six months. We got married in Scotland where there is no requirement to be resident prior to a marriage which is why we got married there. Easy. Only good if you don't intend to stay after the wedding though but it wasn't a difficult process at all.

I'm from the UK, hubby is from Michigan and is a retired US Army LTC.   We are currently stationed overseas.

Here is our immigration journey so far....

10.26.13 - Our wedding in Scotland 

11.26.14 - Filed I-130 at US Consulate, Frankfurt (DCF)

11.18.14 - Returned to Scotland to renew our vows for our first wedding anniversary

01.08.15 - NOA2 received in snail mail, together with case number and Packet 3 instructions

02.15.15 - Submitted Packet 3

02.17.15 - Packet 4 received by email with instructions to schedule medical and interview

02.18.15 - Email authorisation received from Consulate to gain access to appointment calendar

03.03.15 - Medical

03.18.15 - Interview - Approved

03.21.15 - Visa in hand

06.10.15 - POE Chicago (final destination Detroit)

07.20.15 - Received SSN in mail

07.27.15 - Received 2 year green card in mail

The journey to ROC starts here...!

10.05.15 - Returned to Germany on government orders

05.25.17 - Mailed ROC package to California Service Centre

06.14.17 - Received NOA 1 (dated 05.30.17) in mail

09.05.18 - Received a second NOA (dated 08.11.18) in mail granting a further six months extension to green card due to 'processing delays'

11.26.18 - ROC - Approved

12.05.18 - Approval Notice I-797 received in mail

12.18.18 - 10 year green card received in mail

The journey to citizenship starts here...!

I could have been more clear what I meant. I meant with intent to aos. I just don't know if in reality most people could come on a b1 or vwp if the agent knew they were going to get married.

Yes, it's a case by case basis. NOTHING in this whole VISA process is a guarantee. Intention to get married and intention to immigrate are TWO entirely different issues. Otherwise the I-130 would not exist at all.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

No it is not legal at all, I cannot enter the US under the VWP and tell the IO I am here to my marry my fiancé. Forget fiancé the min you say you have a significant other who is a US citizen they'll ask you more questions to find out what your intentions are.

Now however you can lie to the IO and use VWP and then get married but please don't say that's legal. If it was I think I-129F wouldn't exist.

Please don't post important information like that if you don't know it. Other people will read this and think they can't marry under the VWP, when in fact they can. You can conduct business and enter into contracts under the VWP, as long as you don't work and you leave within 90 days. Regardless of what one thinks of marriage, it is a business transaction, a contract, signed between two people.

Thousands of people enter the US every year under the VWP and get married, me included. It is legal! I even checked with CBP and the US state department before flying to the US to get married under the VWP. When I enter the US and the IO asked my purpose I said I was marrying my American fiancé and leaving again after two weeks. The IO said congratulations and I was on my way.

I have been flying to the US four times a year for the past four years to visit my boyfriend, who became my fiancé, who became my husband during that time and have never had any issues. The basis of the VWP is that your intent is to visit and leave within 90 days, with the I-129f, you get to stay after the wedding.

Edited by mallafri76

Met online October 2010

Engaged December 31st 2011

heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif

USCIS Stage

September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center

September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received

March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:

NVC Stage

March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid

April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid

May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application

May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents

May 18th 2015 - Scan Date

June 18th 2015 - Checklist received

June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review

Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:

Embassy Stage

Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam

Dec 21st 2015 - Interview

Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.

April 14th 2016 - SSN received

May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:

May 27th 2016 - Green Card received

June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Moldova
Timeline

it is really hard to be apart for a year. They should make I-129F and I-130 Process take same time. Right now 129F people get here fast and do AOS, why don't U.S. do same for I-130? Spouse enters US and then AOS instead of waiting waiting and waiting. It would be more fair I think.

Please don't post important information like that if you don't know it. Other people will read this and think they can't marry under the VWP, when in fact they can. You can conduct business and enter into contracts under the VWP, as long as you don't work and you leave within 90 days. Regardless of what one thinks of marriage, it is a business transaction, a contract, signed between two people.

Thousands of people enter the US every year under the VWP and get married, me included. It is legal! I even checked with CBP and the US state department before flying to the US to get married under the VWP. When I enter the US and the IO asked my purpose I said I was marrying my American fiancé and leaving again after two weeks. The IO said congratulations and I was on my way.

I have been flying to the US four times a year for the past four years to visit my boyfriend, who became my fiancé, who became my husband during that time and have never had any issues. The basis of the VWP is that your intent is to visit and leave within 90 days, with the I-129f, you get to stay after the wedding.

Another one who did the enter on VWP and go home. We were both living together in the UK, and only went to the States to celebrate the wedding with family and friends. (Also the process is a LOT easier than in England and Wales -- we just rocked up to City Hall, got a marriage licence, and got a justice of the peace to marry us the same day. No notices or reading of the banns.) Since both of us had jobs in and shared a flat together in London, and pretty much had no life in America, this wasn't a problem. I think we were over for 10 days, came home, and filed the I-130 about 3 weeks later.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

it is really hard to be apart for a year. They should make I-129F and I-130 Process take same time. Right now 129F people get here fast and do AOS, why don't U.S. do same for I-130? Spouse enters US and then AOS instead of waiting waiting and waiting. It would be more fair I think.

I agree. At the moment, the K-1 seems to take half the time, which means half the time apart. Yes they AOS but they do that with their spouse. IMHO a married person should have more rights than a fiance and should take precedence when it comes to processing.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Moldova
Timeline

Yeah, very difficult process. I don't wish this on anyone :clock: . My wife and I are coming to the end of I-130 journey. It is draining emotionally and financially. Only one who waited year or more can understand what pain it is. The first three months were really a nightmare. I wanted to find job overseas and leave US just to be with her, but couldn't find any work abroad.

Well you're lucky you were able to get a B1/B2 visa and do what you did.

As a few others have stated, many significant others cannot get a tourist visa to the USA and follow your process. For some of us, getting married in our fiance(e)'s country would also be a bureaucratic nightmare. Why go through that pain twice (once with fiance(e)'s home country, another with USCS/NVC)? No thanks!

Point being you're being a little self-centered here IMO. I understand your logic, but you are also making huge assumptions about us K-1 applicants and our situations.

Many people here were making incredibly FALSE statements about not being allowed to get married and so on. Some correction was needed. Especially those on the VWP who made sweeping statements that the K-1 is the only alternative. In their instance - That is a blatant untruth and luckily some people have come here to correct that.

I'm self interested, not self centred. Yes, I want my peitition to take the same amount of time, why shouldn't I?

Edited by ZA_35

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

I'm self interested, not self centred. Yes, I want my peitition to take the same amount of time, why shouldn't I?

LOL. I don't blame you for being self-interested. I described you as self-centered because you initially assumed that anyone who could get a K-1 visa could get a tourist visa (false), and seemed to imply that a married couple was more attached than an engaged one. I'm just saying there are many different situations for both types of couples.

And in your remark that I replied to, you were saying that married couples should get precedence (ie priority), and therefore should be quicker (versus the same amount of time).

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

If you have trouble getting a B1/B2, then you certainly won't get a K-1 Visa.

Are you telling me a USC cannot marry a UK citizen in the UK or anywhere else?

Point of clarification, getting a K 1 visa is different from getting a tourist visa (B1/B2). To get a tourist visa for many non visa wavering countries is a difficult process and there are many rejections, but a K1 is much more attainable when a US Citizen or permanent resident is apply for that individual. I had relationships with two women who could not get a B1/B2 but were able to get an approved K1 in 5 months.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

the process fluctuates. When I petitioned my husband in 2012 from our NOA1 to interview was 6 months, and that was was with a delay of an extra month at NVC because they couldn't get their act together, it would have been 5 months. It was a spouse visa

Edited by mimolicious

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.