ZA_35

Why do Spouses wait longer than Fiances?

99 posts in this topic

I don't need to review threads. Intent to get married somewhere is not intent to immigrate there. THAT is the point I am trying to make. That's all.

That's not how the US views intent to marry.

Again unless something changes in immigration law that view will continue and K-1 visas will be needed.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

That's not how the US views intent to marry.

Again unless something changes in immigration law that view will continue and K-1 visas will be needed.

So please explain to me why my I-130 was APPROVED and the NVC has case completed. I got married in the US, came home and filed for I-130. My INTENT was never to stay in the US after I got married.

Upthread you posted about "we do things the right way". Well so have I lady.

Edited by ZA_35

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I don't need to review threads. Intent to get married somewhere is not intent to immigrate there. THAT is the point I am trying to make. That's all.

Okay, I will qualify/clarify by initial sentence. It all depends on your intent, as determined by the appropriate US government official during an interview at a US embassy/consulate, or at a US POE.

And you are correct, that's all. I am done with this pedantic exercise.

Edited by A&B

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

You could technically marry somewhere else in Europe and be honest about your intentions at entry. I had no problem with my British passport entering the Schengen and explicitly telling the IO to stamp my passport because the Danish government required proof of date of entry to get married.

They can't really deny you, but I get that people would want to marry in one country or the other.

That's because it was within EEA as mentioned earlier. I know for fact if you're an EU or EEA (Norway & Swiss) there're no way you can enter the UK/ and tell the IO your intention of getting married. As you know any EEA and EU can work and have the right to live in the UK so they wouldn't care if you was getting married.

Now am not sure of other European countries rules and regulations but I also do know that you have to register with your local register before getting married as well as providing Identification and proof of address.

Patience Is A Virtue - [The Beneficiary]

AOS From K1:
Approved 26th of September 2016

ROC:

Approved: 16th August 2019 (July 2018 Filer)

N400

Filed online: November 25th 2019

April 27th 2021: INTERVIEW APPROVED - Officially a US citizen - the End! 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

you are barred from marrying on the VWP (which of course would still require AOSing).

You can enter the US under the VWP and get married. That's perfectly legal.

Met online October 2010

Engaged December 31st 2011

heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif

USCIS Stage

September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center

September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received

March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:

NVC Stage

March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid

April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid

May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application

May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents

May 18th 2015 - Scan Date

June 18th 2015 - Checklist received

June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review

Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:

Embassy Stage

Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam

Dec 21st 2015 - Interview

Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.

April 14th 2016 - SSN received

May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:

May 27th 2016 - Green Card received

June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

I AGREE WITH YOU 100%. A tourist can get married in the US then leave and apply for a Spousal Visa.

No it is not legal at all, I cannot enter the US under the VWP and tell the IO I am here to my marry my fiancé. Forget fiancé the min you say you have a significant other who is a US citizen they'll ask you more questions to find out what your intentions are.

Now however you can lie to the IO and use VWP and then get married but please don't say that's legal. If it was I think I-129F wouldn't exist.

Patience Is A Virtue - [The Beneficiary]

AOS From K1:
Approved 26th of September 2016

ROC:

Approved: 16th August 2019 (July 2018 Filer)

N400

Filed online: November 25th 2019

April 27th 2021: INTERVIEW APPROVED - Officially a US citizen - the End! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

vj moderation was here again.

post respectfully as this thread is on the radar screen.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Croatia
Timeline

That's because it was within EEA as mentioned earlier. I know for fact if you're an EU or EEA (Norway & Swiss) there're no way you can enter the UK/ and tell the IO your intention of getting married. As you know any EEA and EU can work and have the right to live in the UK so they wouldn't care if you was getting married.

Now am not sure of other European countries rules and regulations but I also do know that you have to register with your local register before getting married as well as providing Identification and proof of address.

For my region yes, you also have to register 30 days prior the wedding and provide proof of address here, who are you staying with etc...

USCIS

01/23/2015 I-130 Sent

01/26/2015 NOA1

05/28/2015 NOA2

NVC

06/10/2015 NVC Received
06/25/2015 Received DS-261 / AOS Bill
07/06/2015 Submitted DS-261
07/08/2015 Paid AOS Bill
07/26/2015 Submitted IV Bill
07/27/2015 Paid IV Bill
09/15/2015 Send AOS/IV Package
10/21/2015 NVC CC
12/01/2015 Interview - Approved (12/03/2015 Visa in hand)
03/11/2016 POE Chicago

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

No it is not legal at all, I cannot enter the US under the VWP and tell the IO I am here to my marry my fiancé. Forget fiancé the min you say you have a significant other who is a US citizen they'll ask you more questions to find out what your intentions are.

Now however you can lie to the IO and use VWP and then get married but please don't say that's legal. If it was I think I-129F wouldn't exist.

I think there is a fine line. You can but you'd have to prove intention to go back home. How many people would be able to prove ties at home to leave? So not inherently illegal not likely to be allowed if true intent was known. I would also expect those that stay and aos come under great scrutiny on true intentions....especially if they marry within a few weeks of coming....That reeks of visa fraud. The only actually illegal thing is to come here with the intent of getting married and aos here. Marrying and leaving I don't see as illegal but it's riding the pine. I'm no expert though, just what I've seen.

Yes and no. You could do it, but the IO will tell you absolutely no way. It all comes down to intent. If you come to the US with the intent to marry on the VWP you can get in trouble. But if you come to the US with the intent to not marry, but a few days later decide to, *wink wink nudge nudge* they'll kind of look the other way most of the time. But that person will still have to stay and adjust or go back home. Since most don't want to go back home and be away from their new spouse, you can see why it can appeal to get around the K1 paperwork. For us, we just want to do things the right way ya know?

Btw, I once had a friend refused from the UK because his intent was simply to propose to his lady. Certainly not even to marry or stay (which they wouldn't allow you to do anyway.) It's a joke.

Not true. I entered in the VWP and married. Told the IO exactly what the plan was. HOWEVER the plan was to marry and then leave within the time of the VWP, showed tickets out of the states and they were comfortable enough... But, additionally I'm on a NZ passport so life is a little easier.

further data point - we did leave, moved to Australia, and did the whole IR-1 tango, and my POE is in a week.

Edited by mattawara

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Not true. I entered in the VWP and married. Told the IO exactly what the plan was. HOWEVER the plan was to marry and then leave within the time of the VWP, showed tickets out of the states and they were comfortable enough... But, additionally I'm on a NZ passport so life is a little easier.

further data point - we did leave, moved to Australia, and did the whole IR-1 tango, and my POE is in a week.

Congrats. Edited by Shauneg

THANK YOU. It is not FRAUD like some people are saying. Your intention was always to return home, just as mine was. I had NO intent to simply stay after the wedding.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.