averroes

Breaking Up with partner before completing AOS application

15 posts in this topic

My partner and I discussed and agreed to mutually break up today. We've been asked for initial evidence and I ended things today. We need to get back to them with proof of income and/or use assets to prove I can support him. No family to qualify as joint sponsor. I am currently jobless. Have been supporting him in Dubai for the past year and paid off his debts (I am the petitioner) and quit a high paying in Dubai.

I've reached my wits end. I am contemplating not following through on the application as I am scared of him staying here. I don't want to be responsible as he is not a reliable person really. What can I do to protect myself please?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Adjustment of Status from Family Based Visas forum to Effects of Major Family Changes on Immigration Benefits forum.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Barbados
Timeline

If you search some of the post on here, you would find that once you dont file the AOS, your not on the hook financially for him or you can just not submit the evidence , which will most likly get a denial and send them a letter stating that you have ended things and wish to end the paper work. But check out other post or ask one of the admin like penguin for advice.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

My partner and I discussed and agreed to mutually break up today. We've been asked for initial evidence and I ended things today. We need to get back to them with proof of income and/or use assets to prove I can support him. No family to qualify as joint sponsor. I am currently jobless. Have been supporting him in Dubai for the past year and paid off his debts (I am the petitioner) and quit a high paying in Dubai.

I've reached my wits end. I am contemplating not following through on the application as I am scared of him staying here. I don't want to be responsible as he is not a reliable person really. What can I do to protect myself please?

Follow your gut. If you are having doubt now I wouldn't personally go through with it. If it's easier to break up now then wen he is here do so as long as it is mutual. Once your beneficiary is here you are responsible for him/her financially that's why they ask for your income.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

He is here they married.

Pull the I 864, the I 134 is not enforceable.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Divorce is a State matter, not sure it matters that much where he is and anyway not something you can control.

Usual recommendation for the I 864 is in writing and by making an infopass at your local office.

And of course beware of VAWA.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline

Infopass and report that you are pulling I 864, do not furnish the documents

if you all are seperated that would be fraud to indicate there's still a relationship.

send a certified letter with his info and that you are no longer together to USCIS

do not AOS period....File for a simple divorce if no property or kids involved.

and don't worry be happy....go with your gut instinct....goodluck

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

You stated you don't have any family who qualify to be joint sponsor. I just want to put out there that the joint sponsor does not need to be family, they can be any US citizen or LPR currently residing in the US. It sounds like your issue goes beyond that, but I just wanted you to be aware. Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

So sorry to hear that. Just divorce, pull the i864 by Infopass and move on. Search infopass in the uscis site.

:yes:Intelligence trumps muscle... Imagination trumps both! :yes:

IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Service Center : Nebraska Service Center
Consulate : Cd. Juarez, Mexico
Met: January, 2006 :D
Marriage (if applicable): 2012-10-26 (L)
I-130 Sent : 2014-08-01
I-130 NOA1 : 2014-08-04

I-130 NOA2 : 2015-05-14

Shipped to DoS: 2015-05-22

Received at NVC: 2015-06-01

Case Created at NVC: 2015-06-10 (from Julian Date calculation)

AOS and IV Fee Invoiced: 2015-06-11
AOS and IV Fee Paid: Website down as of 06-15... Just waiting...
AOS and IV Fee Paid: 2015-07-05 CEAC site finally UP! :dancing:

AOS and Civil Docs received at NVC: 2015-10-13

NVC checklist for obsolete i864: 2015-11-25

Submit updated i864: ?????? when my lawyer desires... :clock:
Submit updated i864: Did NOT wait for lawywer. Did it myself 2015-12-10
NVC received reply to checklist i864: 2015-12-10 (yes.. same day O.O)

NVC case completed: 2016-01-07
NVC assigned interview date: 2016-01-23
Interview at CJS consulate: 2016-03-30

Visa "Issued": 2016-04-05
Entered the US: 2016-04-27

SSN Arrived: 2016-05-07 ... wow TEN days!

N-400

Filed Online: 2020-06-30

NOA: 2020-07-01

Biometrics Letter: 2021-04-08
Biometrics Appointment: 2021-05-03
Interview Scheduled/Cancelled: 2021-06-25 (never received online nor mail notification, just an email reply to tier 2 inquiry about status)

Interview ReScheduled: 2021-11-02

Interview Date: 2021-11-30

Oath ceremony Scheduled/Cancelled/Placed in Line: 2021-12-01
Oath: 2022-1-24 ... JOURNEY OVER! 😺

event.png

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

sounds like Aos filed, got rfe.

1. Submit letter withdrawing your i-864, to address in rfe notice, also via local dropoff in infopass appointment.

2. File for divorce soon, nowish.

thats it.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

First thing:

Protect yourself physically, you noted that you are scared of him staying.Your safety is the first thing to take care of.

Physically separate, meaning, either he needs to move out or you need to be in a safe place for the time being.

Then, protect yourself financially, by filing a separation agreement asap, ideally immediately after your safety is taken care of.

If joint accounts exist, you must close or cancel them.

The point is not to leave your husband hanging, but to protect yourself on debts he might incur for which you are co-responsible

Second: if you do not wish to continue AOS, simply do not follow through. The petition will be denied.

You will not be on the hook immigration-wise; and legally, the divorce process will take care of the financial aspects of the marriage.

listen to senior members and take their advice.

good luck. stay safe. document everything.

most of all, listen to your gut; if it isn't happening now, it never will.

USCIS
30 Jan 2014 - Sent I-130
03 Feb 2014- NOA1

10 months of bologna, we cannot believe this, nor will you if you knew
02 Dec 2014- NOA2

NVC
30-Dec 2014 case received
10-Feb 2015 case and iin # assigned
10-Feb 2015 completed ds 261
11-Feb 2015 paid AOS fee
11-Feb 2015 welcome letter rec'd
15-Feb 2015 emailed AOS & IV package info
19-Feb 2015 paid IV fee
23-Feb 2015 submitted ds260
07-Apr 2015 CC :dancing:
26-May 2015. interview--approval

28-May 2015 noon visa in hand!!

POE-??

Thanks for all your answers and concerns. Actually, some of your answers helped me gain more perspective on our issues.

Our issues have been mainly financial and I panicked when we received the request for evidence last week, especially because it puts more pressure on me (USCIS requested evidence of current income or that I provide proof of assets that I own to ensure that my partner does not become a public charge - this is part of the adjustment of status application).

So we decided to give things a shot and to work things out. We have distributed tasks between each other better and let's see...we agreed that if the application does NOT go through, then it's a sign maybe that we shouldn't continue. We will see!

Timeline

Ouch,....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.